TB sires. Who stamps progeny?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Gaia, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Sir Tristram I would give a big fat NO myself lol!!! I haven't come across any bad Tribu's, but some are a bit thick lol - but that can be a good thing *#)

2. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Tribu has one of the worst reputations in wa racing. His babies have a reputation for being total nutters, some of the worst in the industry. In saying that, I have met several with lovely natures and I have had one as a hack, he was very strong but lovely natured. Tribu himself is a gentleman and is now used,as a teaser ad he is infertile.

Sir Tristram is the same, his babies are well known for being very ill tempered, but I have met a few nice ones as well. Sir Tristram himself was an absolute lunatic, but I beleive he wasn't born like it, I think it was a stable fire or something similar that caused a dramatic change of nature in him.

Both stallions are proven sires and proven broodmare sires. If you get one with a nice nature, then it's well worth getting.

3. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Tribu,and Speedweek are half brothers their mother is a full to Corporate Raider and a half to Black Kite. What you can expect from these stallions is pretty similar (except the speedweeks were slow the rest ran ok) athletic, tough and brave. However they have the capacity to be hot and difficult.

I would say the same about Sir Tristram in a jumping horse he is a really good thing to have a line of. We have a mare here and she has about three crosses (NZ bred he was most influential there) she is really easy to deal with and a great ride.

4. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Word from the east is they are pretty and quiet but surprisingly don't jump that well. (surprising because he has a Sir tristram sireline.) Reportedly the hackies like them.

5. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

thank you for all the feedback, appreciated.:))

6. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Anyone had any experience with Marooned progeny?
    My youngsters Dam is by Marooned.. She is lovely and has passed a nice nature onto him, only issue we have found is they have no respect for personal space..

7. ashes88

ashes88 Well-known Member

my fave stallions would have to be
    Dr johnson-, hes babys are very good jumpers(ive ridden a couple and are very bold)

Pearl of Love-, i have ridden a few there lovely personalitys but havent proven that they can run(he only had one crop before he died in w.a so there isnt that many of them around)

top operator- who was such a beautiful stallion and the storys that my boss tells us just makes him an incredible horse and hes babys were so cruisy

Passenger- his oldest are only 2 yr olds but are very switched on you only have to teach them something once and they will do it properly the next time you ask

8. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Strange that, because there is a photo in the HD magazine of an Octagonal clearing a massive fence in fine style, for sale for $20K or so :p

9. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Leon, I would call that far more about what sort of handling the horse received as a youngster, than anything to do with his grandsire! ;)

10. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Agree with you KiraSpark in that sense.. Maybe I didn't word it correctly, I have had my youngster since day dot.. He has has a lot of handling and is great to handle but occasionally forgets 'his space, my space'.. His mother is exactly the same and also well handled..
    Just wanting to know if the sire or any of his progeny had the same little trait..:)

11. mylittlepony

Marooned was one of my favourite stallions. His progeny are generally very intelligent, rather sensitive and easily excited. Quite a few of them are rather pushy, but they are very trusting and will get into "your" space in order to feel safer.
    Beautiful horses, generally of a solid build and not very tall, although I have met a few over the 16hh mark.
    Marooned progeny bought out a lot of superstition in the industry. They were considered to be very unlucky horses as many of them have died in freak accidents or were injured at the track, and it had nothing to do with handling or the horses temprements, they were purely accidental deaths. They called it the "Marooned Curse".

12. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Eeeek don't tell Leon that part lol!!! :p*#)

I have a Yank donkey atm .. he's so quiet I am worried he may actually be clinically dead and I don't know yet :confused: tho he eats alot for a dead horse.

13. mylittlepony

Ssh! Don't tell anyone you have a quiet one, everyones meant to think TB's are all nutters!*#)
    My Dante's Fury mare is one of the quiestest TB's I've ever known. She's only a 6 year old, OTT, straight in foal, haven't done any work with her since she last raced 12 months ago, and we lead kids around on her. She's great. Love her to bits.

14. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

My boy is by Prince Domino, a Seattle Slew son. Does anyone know anything about these lines? (Seattle Slew was a US horse).

15. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

It's ok MLP, I have a nutty one too, just to keep the balance lol :D

The WB is hotter than either of the tb's tho .. lucky me when it comes time to break him in *#) woo can't wait :rolleyes:

16. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Just heresay never had a personal experience with one of course there are always exceptions.

17. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Our Marooned mare is lovely great temperment really nice type, unraced due to a freak accident :eek: perhaps it's because they weren't meant to exist because he was nearly gelded in a freak accident.... Turning into a good broodmare sire.

18. Jessie_13

Jessie_13 Well-known Member

I've been riding a mare out of Helenus and I was really suprised that she wasn't like his normal progeny at all! Pigheaded, nasty, horribly difficult things....The only thing that reminds me of him is she has a handbreak and once that goes on, you can sit there for an hour and she won't move!

She's not marish at all, and be quite sweet! I was looking up her breeding yesterday to see who her dam was out of.....Carry a Smile! Glad to see she got his temp:))

19. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Ok thanks! The Octagonal is destined for show ring so that's good!

What about Lion Hearts?

20. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member