TB scared of floating!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by TahliaMatches, Dec 13, 2011.

1. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

years ago, I got to watch an amazing old Vet/Horseman, get a terrified TB { she'd been in a float roll-over :( }onto a float & stand there happily- with no drugs.. using just a pencil as his aid. **)

Cheers
    Lee

2. becNclifford

becNclifford New Member

@) You are so not alone! I think everyone struggles with a bad floater at one stage or another??

Up until 2 years ago, I ALWAYS seemed to get stuck with the 'bad floaters'... looking back now, after one or two bad eggs (rearers are the worst!!), I was always anticipating the 'explosion' or at least a struggle and had lost all confidence! Either way, not being able to get a horse on the float is a danger (can't evacuate from fire, get to a vet etc), and it means you cant take them elsewhere for any training! I know that 'stuck' feeling!

When I got my OTTB (surprisingly, THE best horse I've ever had), who floated just fine when we picked him up, I decided I wasn't going to make all the same mistakes, and having an uneducated horse, would start from scratch under 'supervision'... so I finally found a new instructor which met my very tough criteria and booked myself in for a clinic.
    Come clinic morning... he doesn't get on the float! I couldn't believe it! We had a BIG fight... After a couple of hours, tears (that 'stuck' feeling coming on again) and some deep breaths, I called the clinic host to cancel, feeling so defeated... never would I imagine that that horseman instructing at the clinic would actually stop and help me on the way to the clinic (let alone for free!)!!
    Within ten minutes, we were on the road, without so much as a raised voice at my 'beloved'. Later, at the clinic, when asked what we wanted to work on, that was something I brought up; after some one-on-one help, no more floating probs!
    Long story short, it came down to making getting on the float the comfortable thing to do (WITHOUT the conflict on the outside that some people insist on creating), and with my boy, it turn out, that it wasn't anything to do with the float!

Find someone who you respect and with whom you agree on their training concepts and invest in a clinic or lesson! It's invaluable! ... A good instructor/trainer, will set you up with what YOU need to work with ANY horse. **)

...Of course, in two weeks, I'm hosting a clinic with my instructor and don't have to float anywhere for once!! Yessss!! :D
    PS - Still 1 or 2 spots left if anyone genuinely needs help with floating or anything else! ;)

3. OnaBenda

OnaBenda New Member

I have a 14 y/old TB who loads and unloads beautifully, however he travels on the left hand side of my float, with the centre divider secured over, and ends up standing with his back legs spread - so it's like he's on an angle. No probs floating like this (with previous owner, used to scramble). I floated him with another horse recently, on the left hand side still, however he scrambled around every corner. He was still fine to unload, and happily loaded for the return trip. Any suggestions for this ? He is fine on a truck, and just seems more comfortable standing on an angle, but it means that he can't go in a straight load with another horse, which can be restricting. Not sure what I can do about this.

4. Mad on Horses

Mad on Horses Active Member

If you can remove the centre divider then take it out, years ago I had same problem and a very experienced horse vet told me to take the divider out, and that is how I have floated ever since. I even bought a horse and was told he occassionally scrambled - I had him for 5 yrs and never once had a problem floating either by himself or with another horse.

5. Narelle28

Narelle28 Active Member

If ur not confidant take u and ur horse to someone and learn. Nothing wrong with that