taking a horses pulse??

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by wooki, Nov 13, 2007.

1. wooki

wooki Well-known Member

hey stockies i have *another* question for you :)

how do you take a horses pulse? iwhere should i be feeling and what isa normalish pulse?
    (obviously normalish depends on the horse but if oyu could narrow it down for me that would be great)
    thanks!!

2. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

the way ive seen was with a stethescope sp and putting it about girth area well behind the elbow and under their tummy a bit and the horses ive seen done have had around a 36-38 starting heart rate though my friends super duper endurance horse had around a 20 something starting heart rate lol

3. kt

kt Active Member

you can feel the digital pulses at the back of the fetlock: put your fingers gently just below the fetlock, on the back of the leg and slightly to the left or right hand side (there is an artery running down each side on the back of the pastern) and you should be able to feel the pulses.

Normal heart rate (and pulse rate) is 28-42 beats/min.

The main thing is that pulses in each leg should be the same strength and that they should all match the heart rate.

Hope that helps :)

4. CJR

CJR Well-known Member

Also just a tip if you can't find the heart beat behind the girth try getting the horse to stretch its front leg (nearest to you) forward, that makes it easier to find.:)*

Col:D

5. wooki

wooki Well-known Member

thats guys!!