Taffy proof fly masks ?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by MissDQ, Jan 21, 2013.

1. MissDQ

MissDQ New Member

Can anyone recommend some Taffy-proof fly masks ? This one is about 2 weeks old..

Needs to have a nose and preferably fluffies as his nose is a little bit proud and they tend to rub. If he didn't need it I wouldn't bother, but his nose burns and he gets grass seeds in his eyes :rolleyes: What are the Cashel ones like ? They look like they might be a little stronger ? And I like that they cover the whole cheek as he often comes in with it half hanging off.. Or the ripstop ones ? So far they look like they may be the one to go, harder for him to destroy. I hope ';' And I'd prefer no ears, or ones that are easily removed :)

[​IMG]

2. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

I got all mine from sunset rugs this year and they are great! They still look brand new, great shape and the velcro is really tough too.

3. xyzabc

xyzabc New Member

horse shade, horse sun protection, horse nose shade, nag nose, horse sun visor uv protection horses, nose shade, horse sun shades, fly mask, horse sun visor

I recommend these people. They are in the States but delivery is quite quick. You can pick and choose what design you want (full face, with sheepskin lining, etc.)

I got a nose shade for my pinto, as their nose shades flare off the face so the horse can eat etc., without getting a mouthful of nose shade too. I have had no problems with her, she lines up happily to be shaded and rugged every morning.

I guess if the horse hammers it, they might not last. But it's worth looking through their gallery.

4. SMW

SMW New Member

Have you seen the bugeyes fly mask? They are lycra hoodies with mesh eyes. Also a cotton ripstop nose piece as it softer yet durable than having the mesh and I've find the nose still gets sun burnt with a mesh nose piece

5. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

Google kensington fly masks. They might have something suitable.

Would be interested to see if the cashel works for your boy too. I havent had any experience with them but they look pretty tough.

6. crave

crave Well-known Member

Just got an order from Cashel, I have had their masks before and they LAST for ages. My appy has a flymask on all the time and these are so comfy with soft fabric and wool around the ears and THEY DONT COME OFF!!!!! YAY . Got 2 new ones to last me another 3-4 years and also ordered for 2 other friends.

7. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Well-known Member

I have a cashel with the nose piece for my cremello, apart from the nose piece getting ripped (damn horsie kept rubbing it on anything and everything) so I had to cut it off, I have had his for over a year and still going strong. Love love love it :)

8. MissDQ

MissDQ New Member

Thanks guys :)

He has to have one on 24/7 at the moment because the paddock he's in has grass taller than he is and he notorious for getting grass seeds in his eyes, so better safe than sorry. And his nose is starting to burn for the first time in 6 years because the sun is so much stronger here.

Good to know they cashels are what I was hoping. I will look at their website otherwise I will put on in with my rug order from someone else.

I'll have to send Kensingtons an email as they only ship to the US and Canada apparently. I like their gear bags too :D

I did look at the bugeye lycra ones, but he gets them off easily (don't ask me how, he does lots of things he's not suppose to and leaves us stumped)

9. paintedladybug

paintedladybug New Member

Nose shade that works great

I have tried Nag Nose shades on my paint with a pink nose and she loves them! We have a sun visor that shields her eyes and a nose shade to keep her beautiful pink nose from burning, and it actually sits away from her face so it doesn't seem to bother her. I had a Cashel before and she rubbed it on everything to get it off her face, but this one hasn't been a problem.
    I know that they have a full face mask and eye shades, and are all 90 UV proof.
    (I also signed up for their mailing list at naghorseranch.com and they sent me a discount coupon!)
    Hope you find something that works!

10. realalvin

realalvin New Member

We are having a terrible stable fly season, i think a good nose shade is very useful, if you pick up the right one. the only one my boy owned is harrison howard. he loves it! it did help. go and buy a good one! it won't hurt.