Sweetbulk... do you feed it?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by montygirl, Nov 18, 2007.

1. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

A friend was telling me that she now feeds her horses sweetbulk and showed me some of it. Looks like really good stuff. What is everyone's thoughts? Pros and Cons. What do you substitute it for?
    :)

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I dont allow my children to eat sugary lollies & drink sugary cooldrink everyday.

Same as Sweetbulk, no way in hell i'd feed my ponies & mini's a food full of sugars.

Plenty of better quality feeds out there, but yes, i've fed it, to my old Tb mare Jazz as she wasd a fussy eater, it helped her eat but thats about it.

3. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I used it for my tb when I first got her ott and she was super fussy, don't use it now. I won't buy it again, I feed tb 100g of molasses in her night feed to disguise supplements, that works well enough. I prefer rice bran and oats over Sweetbulk, and add molasses if needed.

4. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

correct me if im wrong, but isnt it just molassus, chaff and oat husks?

5. Jumping Bean

No chaff, oat hulls and molasses. That's why I just use molasses now, I feed oats anyway lol! :)*

6. Jumping Bean

Oh btw I still fed chaff and lucerne chaff as well, just added a litre or so of it to usual feed, but figured that it was a waste of money when you can just chuck some molasses in, and molasses isn't treated with mould inhibiting chemicals like Sweetbulk is!! Which is the main thing that puts me off it when I can use straight old molasses.

7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Im stingy... dont even feed molasses. ;)

I feed supplements & my horses do fine with it just mixed with ACV.

8. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i dampen with plain old boring water lol

9. Jumping Bean

Yup I dampen sb's feed with water, and morning feed for other one just water, molasses at night for little miss fussy pants. ;) She will not eat her supplemented feed without it, gelding will because he will eat anything lol but she is picky and amazingly talented at sifting even wet feed, and believe me I am a thorough mixer!! :D But I am happy to add a little molasses for her, she isn't too fat.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  10. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

My friend used to feed Sweetbulk back in Perth. It took a while for her horses to accept it but once they did they loved it and she swears by it. I refused to feed it. It is advertised as a cost effective feed to increase roughage and remove sand during times of drought but IMO its not worth what you pay for it. It is made up of oat hulls and molasses and to me its like somebody charging a fortune for the leftovers they have swept up off the floor and then added molasses to make it palatable. JMO

I agree with you Remaani, its like giving your kids lollies all the time.

There have been many many studies on the downfalls of feeding high starch and high sugar diets to your horses. A horses digestive system is not set up to feed high levels of starch. You are better off feeding low starch/sugars and higher fibre.

There are far better ways to increase the roughage content in your horses diet like feeding more hay. It may work in areas where hay is not available?

11. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

It should never be feed to founder/laminitus prone horses or ponies for the above reasons.:) I fed it years ago when it first came out and two of my horses came up foot sore after being on it for a couple of weeks. Took them of it and they were ok. Way too much sugar for most:)

12. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I bought a bag of it afew months back to try but didn't find it that great. It just looked like what had been swept up from a stockfeeders floor and then coverd with moleasses. I fed it dampend down but it made 2 of my horses cough abit. I fed most of it to the chooks.

13. ilikehorsesdou

ilikehorsesdou Well-known Member

i used to use it but found my horses got really fat on it too fat and then found it was hard to get it off:(

but if i get a new horse that needs wieght on i will feed that stuff till it puts wieght on the i change it to cool more:D