Sweet Potato

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Yarraman, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Yarraman

Yarraman Well-known Member

My boy loves sweet potato raw in his feed. About a month ago we stopped giving it too him and it may be a concidence but his coat which was a very dark bay seemed to lighten a shade.

Does anyone know of any if any beneficial properties to feeding sweet potato to horses? And does anyone else feed it?

2. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

hmmm interesting...
    I dont know anything about feeding sweet potato. Will have to look into it more.

3. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I have never heard or considered feeding Sweet potato to my horses, so before I went off half cocked I googled and found some very interesting reading.

Fruit and vegetables come in a VAST variety, and some may not benefit your horse as well as others. Some can also be toxic, or just dangerous. (unsafe fruit and veggies in warning section)
    This 'how to' will tell you in general what fruit and vegetables are safe for horses and which aren't. Feel free to add your own modifications.
    Apples and carrots, are overrated. They can get boring for horses, so why not try something new?
    Safe FRUIT below:
    Apple
    Apricot
    Banana
    Blackberry
    Blueberry
    Cantaloupe
    Cherry
    Coconut
    Grapes
    Oranges
    Peaches
    Pears
    Pineapple
    Plum
    Strawberry
    Watermelon + rind
    Safe VEGETABLES below:
    Beets
    Broccoli (?) can cause gas, otherwise feed in tiny portions
    Cauliflower (?) can cause gas, otherwise feed in tiny portions
    Cabbage
    Carrot
    Corn
    Cucumber
    Lettuce
    Parsnip
    Pumpkin
    Squash
    Sweet Potato (?) May have normal Potato properties
    Swede
    Turnip
    A pile of swedes/rutabagas

TipsIf someone ever says - feed them anything you want, don't listen.
    If in doubt, leave it out.
    Horses like variety.
    Be warned, horse will eat things not good for them.
    Better less treats than colic or illness.
    Do not feed a lot, even if it is safe, none will be good in large amounts, and none will be bad in tiny amounts.

WarningsDon't take this guide completely accurately, some sources may be wrong, some horses may be allergic to them, so take care in what you do feed them.
    ALWAYS remove any pits from ANY pitted fruit - these can be very dangerous to horses.
    If in any doubt, just don't feed it to them.
    Feed in moderation.
    Unsafe FRUIT below:
    Avocado
    Persimmon
    Unsafe VEGETABLES below:
    Broccoli (?) can cause gas, otherwise feed in tiny portions
    Cauliflower (?) can cause gas, otherwise feed in tiny portions
    Any member of nightshade family (peppers, etc.)
    Onion
    Pickle
    Potato
    Sweet potato (?)
    Tomato

4. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

So Oranges are ok .. I wonder if lemons are :eek:

Sweet potato, broccoli and cauliflower are safe yet dangerous?

5. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

6. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I know cheeki, thats why I didnt want to go off half cocked lol

7. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

My horse must feel neglected and unloved...he just gets "horse food" and carrots;):D I just don't get wanting to feed them all sorts of things, apart from the odd apple or licorice?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  8. Sallighted

Sallighted Well-known Member

I had my boy on sweet potato for gut/bowel issues this was prescribed from Bruce from Murdoch. Issue has now cleared up and he is putting the weight back on in the right places!!!

9. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

more info
    Chapter 4: Nutritionally Improved Sweetpotato
    Copyright 2008 Institute of Food Technologists
    ABSTRACT
    ABSTRACT: Sweetpotato is grown in many developing countries, and varieties can be white-, yellow-, orange-, red-, or purple-fleshed. This crop is a secondary staple food crop in parts of Eastern and Southern Africa, and an important component of animal feed in countries such as China. This case study describes and compares 2 nutritional improvements of sweetpotato. One improvement involves selecting and breeding orange-fleshed sweetpotato as a biofortified crop to reduce vitamin A deficiency in Africa. The 2nd improvement aims to increase both the quality and quantity of protein in sweetpotato through the introduction of the synthetic asp-1 gene (Kim and others 1992; Prakash and others 1997). Nutritional issues considered include the role of the sweetpotato in human nutrition, with a focus on Africa, and its potential to combat vitamin A deficiency and undernutrition; and its role in animal nutrition, specifically through increasing both the level and quality of protein. The protein case study concentrates on the event TA3 developed at Tuskegee Univ. (Egnin and Prakash 1995, 1997), which has been shown to have no negative agronomic characteristics. In terms of safety, the history of sweetpotato use and the measurement of a number of antinutrient compounds in this crop, such as oxalic acid, trypsin inhibitor, and furanoterpenoid compounds, are considered. If the orange-fleshed sweetpotato are to be used in animal feed in a way not previously done, it is recommended that additional nutritional testing, such as for performance and bioavailability, be carried out in domestic animals. Four studies are recommended for the ASP-1 sweetpotato. First, testing the safety of the genetic modification with the asp-1 gene and derived ASP-1 protein. Second, carrying out supplementary compositional studies focused on, for example, appropriate antinutrients, such as oxalic acid, trypsin inhibitor, and others where appro-priate. Third, documenting the phenotypic properties of the sweetpotato line and its comparator grown in representative production sites. Fourth, measuring the performance of animals fed ASP-1 sweetpotato compared with those fed conventional sweetpotato varieties. These studies could use a suitable animal model; an ILSI task force formulated guidelines for this type of study in a report titled Best Practices for the Conduct of Animal Studies to Evaluate Genetically Modified Crops (ILSI 2003). Data on protein bioefficacy in the enhanced protein sweetpotato are available from 1 hamster study.

10. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

right, so in conclusion after wasting 30mins reading through half arsed opinions on the net, I could not find anything scientific to say sweet potatos where either good or bad for horses, seems the biggest danger is that the silly buggers might choke on them.

So there you go, feed at your own risk really.

Sorry Yarra, no use at all on this subject lol

11. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

After all the interest in pumpkin and sweet potato I just felt I should add this little piece of info I once heard. Both of these are not recommended for human diabetics as they have a very high sugar content (this from a diabetic). I keep this in mind when working with my horses feeds and it does explain the improved coats of many horses.

I am going to try sweet potato, just for variety of tastes :D

12. Yarraman

Yarraman Well-known Member

Well actually you were a big help Sharaway. You saved me doing all that research:D

But I am still undecided if to feed or not to feed. But in essence it may be okay in small dose but no real proven benefits.

13. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Yarra I think that sums it up nice lol

14. manocaaron

Just to point out a couple of things with Sharaway's list **) thanks for googling it, I was too lazy!

In the 'dont feed' list it said all of the deadly nightshade family...

They are Potatoes, Tomatoes, Egg plant, and I think Zuchini and Capsicum too.

(I was advised to stay away from them for Rhumatoid Arthritis, I did for a while and it was great but I missed my spuds!)

Sweet Potato is not related to a normal potato in any way.

One of my horses LOVED grapes and oranges (Skin and all)

I would guess that lemons would be a little too acidic.

15. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

you should see Chantelle turn herself inside out for Orange C juice lol.

Thats not on the approved list lol

16. manocaaron

niether were sugar cubes!!! LOl:D

17. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

A wise old vet once said to me -if it is not something that a wild horse would come across in his natural enviroment then DONT feed it to him . I cant say I've seen too many Broccoli patches out yonder.

18. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

So no sweetbulk, equilibrium, or carrots either?? Heheh bugger!

19. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

good if your horse is low in 'chi' according to chinese medicene :) My boy gets it daily on advice from my acupuncturist

20. Black_Storm

Black_Storm Active Member

We know the owner of the market garden down the rd and every so often he will bring a load of carrots, sweet potatoes and turnips and dump it in the paddock between the 2 horses, a pony and the 2 sheep it all gets eaten and they love it..(especially the sheep)