Sweet Itch .... or??

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Jumping Bean, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

My sb gelding has very little hair on the very top of his dock. He is driving me craaaazy, I can't seem to fix this!

I have never caught him rubbing, but I am assuming this is the problem, as the hairs are broken like they are when rubbed out. He also has flaky skin around his anus, which consistently reappears.

The problem seems to be worse at night time, which is why I thought sweet itch, as this is when the midgies come out, yet he doesn't rub his mane at all.
    It is worse if he is not rugged, at the moment it is just too hot even at night time.

He is wormed every six weeks religiously and I rotate my worming compounds, so I am seriously doubting pin worms or related troubles. He is a picture of health and his coat is super glossy and sleek, and his mane is wonderful, just this dock problem. His tail is washed every couple of weeks and his sheet is kept clean, so not from that. The vet thought perhaps a dermatitis, wasn't sure.

His diet is balanced and he is fed oils.

Any thoughts? I would like him to have an entire tail for next season! :D

2. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

There was another thread about it not long ago, Retro said to use Quititch once a day.:)

3. cocomist

cocomist New Member

Hi if its itch, it'll be a long time before he has a decent tail. Having said that I use a great product called EQUITCH, can be purchased online. Animal Itch - seriously effective products dedicated to your creatures' comforts

We've had really good success with this product for my daughters horse.
    He has to be rugged as well. Although this season he hasn't even started to itch yet (fingers crossed that he doesn't) and his tail is really starting to look good.

Another thing I do is to enclose the tail area on the rugs. Make them bigger and attach it to the rug about where the legs straps clip. This way he can't get his tail out to do more damage.

4. Jumping Bean

Thanks for that guys, I will have a look at both products **) My computer crashed last night :eek: in spectacular style, so I have been stockieless and netless for a whole 18 hours! Yikes! :D

He is going to be rugless whilst on spell, which is a bugger, but I suppose not much I can do about hat. I sprayed Aeroguard on his dock last night, and no rubbing happened last night, so I am thinking now definitely Sweet Itch.

He is the most allergic horse - Betadine, most Liniments, fly sprays, some feeds, and now midges!! :rolleyes:

5. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

LOL, I was wondering where you have been hiding. :)*

6. Jumping Bean

Oh it has been terrible, I have been pacing my lounge room like a tiger lol!! :)* I am well and truly addicted!