Sway Backs??

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by kaylastar11, Dec 20, 2007.

1. kaylastar11

kaylastar11 Well-known Member

Hi
    Can anyone please tell me how to tell if a horse is sway back?? Obviously the back dips but what are the finner details to tell?? And can sawy back be riden??
    Thanks
    x.x.x

2. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Swaybacks can be ridden no probs. The problem will come if you want them to lift there back for dressage or hacking or simply work on the bit, they just find it harder to lift. Doesn't necessarily mean they can't, just harder for them. Also alot depends on how sway back they are. Any particular horse? Or just a general question?

3. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

Our little pony is a sway back and it is quite obvious when he doesn't have his saddle on that he's sway back. However he is great to ride (comfy canter) and he definitely has no probs going on the bit. Must admit we've had the saddle fitter out a few times as it's taken a few goes to get the saddle to fit him properly and now ride him with a gel pad that is padded at the back. He is 14 yrs old and so far his sway back has not prevented my daughter from doing anything on him (he's jumped up to 1m in the past) and rides a nice dressage test.

4. Feuer

Feuer Guest

My old tb was swaybacked.

I successfully competed him to Elementary level with very good scores. He found it easy to come on the bit as he had a beautiful frontend....but did find it harder to come through in his back, lots of long and low riding is what I had to do with him in warmup.

As a young horse he was trained to Advanced level, so I would say it can definitely be done. If I were making a choice between a swaybacked and a normal backed horse, I would choose the one with the better trainability rather than use the back as an excuse. My tb had very expressive movement with flicky toes :)*

5. kaylastar11

kaylastar11 Well-known Member

Ok Thanks guys that helps alot. It was just a questions cause we are going to look at a few horses on the holidays and my dad is worried about 2 Things Windsucking and getting a Sway Back. But it dosn't seem like its going to be a problem.

6. daydreamer

daydreamer New Member

sway backs or dipped backs???
    I had a true sway back once and the horse was not rideable due to having no muscle support behind the shoulders for the saddle.
    a horse with a dipped back or a sagged back isnt so bad, and usually with a front riser pad you can ride them fine.
    he are a few pics of sway backs, though the boy i had wasnt quite as extreme as the last few pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Holy moly!!! And I have had someone call him sway backed!! Personally, I would call him croup high lol.:)
    [​IMG]

8. Nikara

Nikara New Member

Wow, the poor appaloosa. That would be so uncomfortable :(

9. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Poor appy looks like a hammock on legs.