Summer Series Dressage

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Jonty3, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

An example of cost to enter a dressage competition at Werribee Equestrian centre in Victoria is:
    $36 one test (includes Dressage Levy)
    $11 GSF
    No helper fee

Additional costs:
    Stable $26
    Bedding $12 straw or $15 shavings
    Optional $20 stable cleaning fee (if you don't want to do it yourself)

2. Double Helix

Sorry but the $11 GSF includes the use of day yards and camp sites.

Maybe their costs can be lower because they have more people competing in Victoria or maybe the SEC is poorly managed???

3. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

true that DH - i already know ppl that refuse to go to the SEC (in particular the SS) SIMPLY because it is so expensive. i realise that GSF are essential to maintain the centre but add that to the increased cost of the sport and it is unfortunatly becoming out of reach for so many riders.

i totally agree primrose - if we were trying to encourage the sport surely things like the SS which droverchick pointed out was to fill the gap and encourage beginners/kiddies would not be charged out at the rates that would be expected at BIG competitions?

Are we headed towards the point that competing in events will become elitist? so that the only ones who can afford it are those who ride professionally and the rich? surely somehting like the summer series which is there to entice ppl out in to the heat should be a little less over the top? i really do understand that events need to run at profit but i still cant see why it is as expensive as it is...

4. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

If the SEC is to be profitable then it has to be run as a business, that means that it needs to attract as many 'customers' as possible and that customer service must be it's highest priority. The way to attract more customers is to REDUCE fees, that coupled with a high level of customer service is the ONLY way to get more people using the venue and therefore increase the profits.

This is really very basic economics and so either the SEC management have no business experience and/or sense or there is a ulterior motive here. Increasing fees and driving people away will quickly turn the SEC into an unviable proposition, I have to wonder if perhaps they are planning to sell the venue and are wanting to be able to point to it's unprofitability as a reason for doing so?

Just thinking out loud. :))

5. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

i once heard that the top riders around the world- like anky, isabell and everyone else, have only made it cos if $$ (and talent yes i know) BUT its becasue they had the $ to compete and to have the best horses, and to not work and just train etc etc etc, aprently there are better riders than these- just without the money to compete up there with them.... its possible... places like germany etc dressage has become an elite sport... as as much as id love thegerman instructors and knowlage they possess-to come over here- id hate to loose that assie spirit of "everyone having a fair go" but it seems we are already starting to lose that?

i recognise it takes $ to run events, and they also need to make some $ along the way.... but is there anyway it can be made cheaper?? the more people who get involved in the sport- the cheaper it should get... we need to make it cheaper to encourage people to join in... is there a committee developed who can tackle this issue? Dressage WA or the EFA (ewa?) whatever its called now..

A major Hack day with two or more eastern states judges + local judges for unofficial ring and a show horse council memeber ship (now with same insurance as EFA) doenst cost anywhere near as much as as registering for dressage and trying to compete at a normal dressage event- ie transitions day..... Why?? maybe as they have more competing?

aslo wondering aloud... **)

6. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

I am not one for usually saying this nor even entering to the debate but I feel from reading most responses on this thread and talking to friends and clients that compete in Dressage in WA that perhaps its time for a very well written letter of objection to rising costs/rediculous levys could be the way forward.

Perhaps this yr the lack of entrys that I am pretty sure the SS will have may be also a wake up call too.

To answer somones question,Dressage in WA has already become an elitist sport IMO and this has happened in the 5 yrs I have been here........

And one cant keep using that old chestnut that the cost of 'everything' has gone up so why shouldnt equestrian sports etc.......does this mean in 3 yrs time we will all be expected to pay $200+ for one little dressage test??....me thinks not!I know Australia is supposidly the highest taxed country in the Western World but this is a beyond a joke for something that is supposed to be a 'sport'.Instead of trying to justify why it is so expensive I think it would be far more benificial if a meeting was held and everyone had a brain storm to see how we can fix this problem before it spirals so far out of control instead of getting 50 entrys you'll be getting 10!

If the SS really was to get new members into Dressage god help the sport in general as this will totally kill it.Its very sad not least very worrying too for Dressage WA in general and people like myself that would like to compete and need to really for their work but cant afford to take one horse out let alone a string.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  7. Excelsior Centerpiece

Agreed, time to be proactive... ill help as much as i can!

just need to figure out what to do?

Just a side note- anyoe reading the SEC stable cleaning thread aswell as this one.... kinda interesting....

8. buggalugs

the problem is that although the SS is so costly - so many entrants are desperate to get a youngster orwhatever out that they pay the rediculous fees and entrys are always high :( same with all events throughout the yr... they are all supported because there IS NO ALTERNATIVE ... sad really...

9. primrosecourt

thats not quite true as I heard last yrs SS was quite small and there have been quite a few other shows that have had poor turn out too.I do agree though that due to limited amount of shows many people do try to go regardless of fees but there are also ALOT that cant now compete and for this I think something should be brought up at a next general meeting.....

10. buggalugs

i agree 100% i too think its rediculous... i missed several eventing comps last yr because the fees for eventing are so high - but at least $100 will get me a wkend away...

11. droverchick

droverchick New Member

I hope you all realize that the $55,000 loss is covered by our Membership fees and at this stage it is EWA members who are propping up the SEC.

PSO I have run several two day comps at the SEC and hire fees have never been any where near $15,000, more like $5,000 including all the arenas.

Interesting to note re Rem's post and to prove her point, at Interschools the GSF for three days is reduced to $35 and the numbers competing are getting bigger every year, and the spin off in Camping fees and stables etc make this a very profitable weekend for the SEC. An example of encouraging centre users.

12. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

wait... do i have to have all that before i can even think about summer series??? that's apart from just the entries for the day/ground fee etc?

13. Excelsior Centerpiece

yep, as far as i know you will, atm i am only a member with show horse council, so i have to start at the beginning, at leat my horse is alrady registerd i just have to transfer him over,

but im going official, if you go associate its slightly cheaper...

14. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Maybe go associate first and see if you like it (12 months) and then go official, no use spending all that money only to not like it....!

15. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

They only hold official and training tests, no associate I believe.

16. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

17. primrosecourt

Quite........:)...and you have always expected to pay more for Horse Trials....its a huge weekend to put on with alot of people competiting in 3 different phases...you also get the chance of winning some good prizes plus its always such fun and not the usual doom and gloom that 'some' dressage comps seem to bring....again not a great insentive to new/little riders before you even get onto the price topic!

Having helped run/set up/written and competed at many 100's of dressage comps back home I know first hand just how much goes into doing it and to me it just dosnt call for the ludicrous $$ that are charged here in WA for Dressage.

I was speak with my OH today about it all and when we get our menage set up properly I think we'll try to run some training days up here to begin with and see if we can make a little difference.If it goes well we may beable to provide more.Its a great excuse to spend some $$ on my new menage too

18. Double Helix

Nannygoat means at the Summer Series they do not hold Associate (only training, and of course official) but most other comps throughout the year run Associate classes if they get the entry numbers.

19. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Ah righty o then!

20. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

wow what a debate ay...sounds like we are all singing the same tune more or less...SEC have got major issues and if they think they can solve them by charging us more and we will still o...i think if things keep going this way they will be in for a rude shock... I wish PC ran more events higher then Pre novice/A grade would make things a ehole lot better ad a whole lot cheaper!