Summer rugs, what brand?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Golden Biscuit, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Golden Biscuit

Golden Biscuit Well-known Member

Im having alot of trouble finding a good rug for Bickie and they all just slide off him and when we see him he is naked on one side and just a sheet all the way to the floor on the other!

So what brand would you guys reccomend for a round rolley polley pony? He has had this problem with hundreds of winter rugs and have tried a few summers on him and have waisted sooo much money on millions of rugs! he is not naughty and tries to get them off but they just slip off even in the first 5 mins of waring it! So finally have a awesome winter combo that he loves but what summer rug would you guys reccomend and has anyone else had this problem? He needs one soon cos he is naked and FITLTHY!! and dont want his nice gold coat to get all icky and sunbleached lol :))

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

The one that fits Goodie best ( and he has 4 different brands) is the Rafferty's (NSW has all the darts and tucks in the right place, does not move (and Goodie likes to roll and roll and itch and roll some more):). The Zilco is the second best fit. Depends on the shape of your pony though:)*

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  3. El_equine

El_equine Well-known Member

I have a zilco for my new old mare I got & she is a rolley polley! It seems to fit her OK but I will be sewing in some extra darts to make it sit just right for her.

4. pso

pso Gold Member

I've just got one from easy-on rugs...fits so much better than the skye parks/zilcos/wilshers that he's had before!:))

5. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Another thing is the rug could be a bit big for him or maybe do up the one leg strap tighter/ get surcingle. For Tom we found combos slipped on him but the separate body rug and neckrug fit him fine...i think we had zilco or skyepark.

6. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Lucy is rolley polley pony but i have found the lilydale rd cotton fits her fine.

7. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Bickie, this is Goods Rafferty, not a great photo , sorry:D It fits like a glove, I will try to find the catalogue for you
    [​IMG]

8. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

also maybe try the weatherbeeta summer sheets, they have surcingles. but they are 320denier/cotton, so not the best for stinky hot summer weather.

9. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

I Will second the Easy on rugs they are great! SkyePark are excellent also! My cob mare's large chest burst out of all the Zilcos and GG.

10. Golden Biscuit

Thanks for all your help guys, Goodie that photo is a spitting image of Bickie! Even down to the paddock :D could you please PM me the contact details of where you got that rug from? As Bickie and The Good are twins :) it should fit him pretty good to :))

11. Golden Biscuit

One step ahead of me lol thanks :)

12. shaylee

shaylee Well-known Member

i have 3 very rolly polly ponies and i have to say that the ridelo rugs from ebay are brilliant
    never move and are even shower proof

also love sunset rugs

but for price cant go past ridelos rugs

13. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Mine are both serial rug wreckers (I approach with caution, knowing I may never see my rug alive again) but the WBeeta freestyle sheets are amazing. They are tough, and also breathable, and we have had 40 plus down this way in the last few weeks (ewww - sticky - winter please!!) Best of all they never slip, no matter what my horses do to them! Love them **)

I am still mulling over whether to stick them in my machine tomorrow ... or wait to go to the laundromat next week and make their machine hairy ...

14. Golden Biscuit

Haha i say wait.. Dont ruin your machine haha, thanks for that they sound good, could you please PM me where you get them from and a rough price :) thanks :))

15. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

HAHA well the only summer rug i have is a Shires and well the did wonders on my TB, mind you he aint a pony... but defently some rugs with cersingles(bad spelling) are a better option.... Hmmm im half asleep so if im babbling tell me too shoosh

16. realalvin

realalvin New Member

i think weatherbeeta is a bit too big on my papa's pony, so tend to need a size smaller than usual. Horseware/Harrison Howard and Bucas rugs fit ok. just recommendations.