Suitable First Towing Car?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Lauren, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Random_Winger

Random_Winger Well-known Member

We two 2 420kg+ horses and float with a jeep Cherokee sport. I hate the car, but it does the job!
    We also have the BMW x5, which is almost like having nothing on the back.

For my own car, I would LOVE to have a Holden, but prefer something that will actually tow. HATE fords (sorry :p ) mum plans on giving me the jeep, but I just don't like driving it, it's feels too top-heavy, like it's way out in proportions. BMW is sturdy and solid, defs prefer that, but that wont get handed down!!

So are there many sedans that will actually tow comfortably? I like Nissan muranos!

2. wheatbeltanimalrescue

wheatbeltanimalrescue Well-known Member

Would depend on what size litre capacity, petrol, turbo diesel etc!

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Random winger most sedans pull easy (if maintained and not too old) but if it came down to the crunch and you slam on your brakes the force of the float will over power the car.

The day we were forced down Greenmount hill was the day I decided to do what ever it took to get a 4WD. And I did but get a new one next week!

4. Random_Winger

I was having a little research session today :p

Oh how I would love a VW touareg! 3000 capacity, as well as the Volvo xc60. Both really nice cars, but I'm in total dream land now :)

Our jeep tows 2270 which is surprising for it's size. Most cars of it's size only have 2000.

Then again, budget will be incredibly tight, and I will more than likely have to stick to the jeep :( (needs new brake pads, sounds awful at the moment)

Ah a girl can dream for her Edward Cullen car! :p

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Holden Colorado has a 3000T towing capacity as does the Ford Ranger I think?

6. Cowgirl_9

Cowgirl_9 Active Member

Yep, so does the Mazda BT-50 and Izuzu D-Max.
    Im looking at buying one of these soon (not sure which one yet:p) :)*

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I just bought a brand new Holden Colorado this week :D. Off the show room floor, waiting on some requested modifications (8-9 days) then we can pick it up!

Highly DON'T recommend a Nissan patrol. $12k spent and it's still broke. Took us 9 hours to get to Perth which is usually a 3 hour drive.

Bring on the new car!

8. Random_Winger

Holden > ford :)
    Don't mind a mazda either!

9. Cowgirl_9

Cowgirl_9 Active Member

Nice:)*

Im a Ford girl through and through but the Colorados are nice. Same engine as the D-Max, which I have only heard great things about.

Yep never been a huge fan of Patrols, or many Nissans actually:p

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I appreciate a good car - didn't even consider the Ranger because I'm not sure if they could get any uglier!

I'm over the whole Ford Vs Holden debate. That's a little old! A good car is a good car. Rangers are great but I preferred the look of the Colorado and I know quite a few people who won't consider the ford because of the look alone and not the badge!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  11. Topaz17

Topaz17 Active Member

My First towing car was an old Holden Commodor VP Wagon. the only reason i got my new car was it was starting to die it had done alot of KM almost 350000 lol

After driving My Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. i would never go back to a small car to tow with. the 4wd are alot more stable on the road with the heavy weight behind.

though this was something i had to work up to and save all my pennies. so for a first car Lauren a commodor or falcon that is set up to tow your horse around will be fine.

one thing to remember is the cooling. we had to get a tow pack put onto the wagon years before as they do get hot if you dont have a tow pack. ran like a dream with it. :D oh and also be kind to your car, you dont know how much you need it until you dont have it. :)* good luck!!!!

12. Cowgirl_9

Cowgirl_9 Active Member

I actually really like the look of the Ranger, so each to their own I suppose.

What colour are you getting? All that effort you put into trying to match your float with the Patrol, now your getting a new one :p

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Gold of course :D matches my float :p. They didn't come in morone.

Failing that I was prepared to sell my float and re-order in a new colour! Lol

14. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

Yes they are a great unit the Rodeo/Colorado/D-Max. All Isuzu built and running gear straight from their small truck range.

The D-Max actually has the 16 valve version (V.4) of the engine whilst the Colorado/Rodeo has the 12 valve version (V.3). But otherwise the same. The D-Max is just a tad more economical.

15. Cowgirl_9

Cowgirl_9 Active Member

Now thats committment to colour coordination if I ever did hear it :p