Suitable First Towing Car?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Lauren, Sep 3, 2010.

1. HarleyQH

HarleyQH Well-known Member

Okay I've read through this thread and there have been heaps of great suggestions and opinions shared :)
    Personal preferance and suitability will push you over the line one way or another.
    I'm a country chick through and through, nothing I can't drive or tow okay maybe our road train but thats because it has 26 gears and way too confusing ;) I'm 30 yrs old and started driving on my own at 8. Put me in the city with a float and OMG its scary. Nothing to do with my ability its speeding cars and other unpredictable things that just appear. I lived in the city 10 years from 18 to 28 and towed horses around so its not a one off, your biggest challenge driving will be the conditions - roads and others on them.
    I tow with a ford territory at 2500kg rating and in all honesty this is not enough. We tow double standard float with 2 horses and I still feel that its not good enough in adverse conditions. It does have traction control which helps especially in the wet or on clay roads, driver assist is even better.
    I started (legally) on P's towing with a 98 falcon one horse and it didn't cut it, in hind sight I should never have towed with it.
    I like the colorado (new rodeo) dual cab 3 tonne tow, 8L/100km and chasis is weighted right, no tail swing ect. Most of the Ag designed utes are weighted right, try towing a boom spray with 5 tonnes of water swishing around, thats when you know you have the right vehicle.
    The chasis is what determines the towing capacity, reece hitch is a must ($450 plus to get fitted), diesel motors will last 500,000 plus kms whereas the petrol is around 300,000 and yes there are the exceptions. Just because others tow with a certain car doesn't mean that its right for you.
    Please try and be safety focused when picking a car and if you can't afford it wait till you can. What I'm trying to say is don't compromise on safety. Your biggest challenge in life is staying alive.
    Cheers
    Wow I sound like an old opinionated mother lol :)

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Topdeck, I have a 2006 Commodore Omega, and it is rated to tow 2100kgs! Thats my float and two horses easily, and with the ABS breaks I have no problems with the stopping.

I used to have a GXL landcruiser, but could no longer afford the fuel for it. It was a superiour tow wagon, but too costly for me.

The commodore is a lovely everyday family car and has enough grunt for my occasional float trips.

Horses for courses I think.;)

TBPA, love your phrase about the custart, I might have to use that myself.:))

3. katelol

katelol Guest

I don't know if its alright to post this but does everyone know about Car Prices - Search Car Prices & Values Online - Red Book ?

You can look up what the recommended price is for used cars and save yourself time and money trying to figure out what is and isn't a good price.

It also tells you the towing and engine capacity, fuel consumption, reasonable kilometres for age etc. :)) Makes buying a used car SO much simpler :)*

4. GiGi

GiGi Guest

The new falcon wagon is going fantastically well. I'm finding a 6 cyl LPG is cheaper to run than my previous car, an Astra sedan on petrol. I get about 1000km's from the tank, and about $60-$65 to fill up.

5. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

WOW Gigi! That's brilliant! Is that around town?

I spent $80 to fill my car up about a week ago when fuel was at it's cheapes just before it skyrocketed before Chrismas. $80! Had to pick my jaw up off the pavement. Only thing that made me feel better was the guy with the V8 Landcruiser infront of me ;)

6. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

GiGi
    Have you towed with it yet?
    If you have how did it feel?

7. CatLover

CatLover New Member

i have a commodore and it seems to tow my horse good, my brother says it is ok in da engine too

8. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

All ill say is a landcruiser or a hilux.... these cars have been built to do this work.... if you go for a normal sedan family car you MUST install a camber kit to compensate when the tires bow out and will cause uneven wear on your tires and will cost you LOADS!!!! in the long run...

Do NOT!!! get a FWD car to tow, please dont!!!! You will kill your engine in half the time and you will be replacing CV joints more often then you should be.

In experiance with the camber... my mother ended out towing horses with her commodore wagon and just a normal trailer in general and she now has a camber kit on her car due to the damage done to towing.

Ive been dealing with cars for a long time.... and lauren i personally suggest the hilux or landy.

9. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

This thread is nearly 4 months old *#) Gotta be a record for one of my threads survival rate.

My Dad ended up buying me a car, and I've decided I don't want to tow just yet. I'd feel to bad if something was to happen. I plan on spending at least a full year on my P's gaining experience, and do some defensive driving courses before I attempt to tow.. Bess need's a very careful driver, and I would never, ever forgive myself if something happened to her because of me.

But thank you everyone for your help :)
    I know what to look for now in 12 months :)*

10. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

THat is a very wise move Lauren **) the experience will do you the world of good before you start towing, I highly recommend the defensive driving and an advanced driving course, apart from they are good fun (well my advance driving was my defensive was boring as bat $hit :p)

Oh and when you do go looking for a tow car that suits YOU shop around, I will say that anything toyota you will be paying an arm, a leg and jame's left testicle *#):p they are really expensive, but do last forever and a day

11. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

Skiddlez,

I know Lauren is looking at older cars but, the new hilux's have only got a 2250kg towing capacity for bumper pull (towbar) trailers. Not very high in regards to the utes running around now. The heaviest version has only got a GCM of 5080kg so to even hook up a gooseneck they can only legally tow about 3.2T. Take a common rail turbo diesel D-Max/Colorado/Rodeo with a bumper pull capacity of 3T and a GCM of 5.9T it allows you to tow 3.7T gooseneck weight. These vehicles have the highest ratings out of any of the new 4WD utes running around and the best fuel economy too.

The formula for working this out is take the GCM (Gross carrying mass) of the vehicle and subtract the Tare weight and that leaves you with the maximum weight of a trailer able to be towed via a gooseneck hitch.

12. Cornflower

I guess the main thing is to know what you're going to be towing and how much it weighs. Then go from there. Not the other way around.
    I would hazzard a guess, most people only want to tow 1 or 2 horses in a standard double. We're not talking 3.7t.
    It all depends what you're towing and how often.

13. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Beanie, towed for the first time today with it, felt great. Was only a short 15 minute trip, and my horse does move a bit, so turning right is painfully slow ! But I'm more than happy with it.

14. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

unfortunately although i love my pulsar it couldnt tow anything!!
    luckily my boyfriend had a 04 BA XR6 turbo... to bad i have no pony to tow :(

15. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

CornFlower, my comment was in regards to Skiddlez comment where she stated Hilux's were made to do it. Just pointing out that infact there are better utes around for a hellova lot less than what you would pay for a Toyota, that can carry/tow alot more. Toyota are not the leaders in the pack no more. The other manufacturers have over-taken them and Toyota are just selling off their past reputation.

16. Cornflower

I know.

But i also have to agree with her, sorry. If i needed a serious towing car, i'd be looking at Toyota too.

Besides, i'd never buy a Holden :p

17. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

Do you know that Toyota have had to recall some of their utes because the sub-chassis is cracking from towing too much weight - only about 2T? And their injector pumps are failing around the 35-40,000km mark? All I can say is that we have towed 3T up and over a mountain range (400km trip overall) with a gradient 1 in 8 and still did it with relative ease and returned a 12.18 litres per 100km fuel economy.

18. Cornflower

Impressive. What do you tow with?

I'm kinda joking around a little, hense the smilie face.

I got an idea...why don't we all get F250s? ;) Then buy Shell. Or Castrol. Anyone win that $31mil yesterday?

19. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

we drive an MY08 Rodeo (Colorado). Is very good on fuel and handles towing with ease. May I say better than mates Toyota's and more economical. General trips average 8L/100

20. Lucyloo

Lucyloo New Member

Does anyone know how much it is to fill a Navara and roughly how long it lasts (kms)? Trying to decide between that and a falcon