Suitable First Towing Car?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Lauren, Sep 3, 2010.

1. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Haven't read through this whole thread, but looking at a Ford Falcon XR6 2005 at auction tonight. Braked towing of 2300kgs, and has had the rear end "beefed up" so it won't be weighted down. Will fit a reece hitch too.
    From my research it appears to tow well, but would like to hear an thoughts. It will also be my "everyday" car. Thanks in advance.

2. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Forget the Falcon, just purchased a 1998 Nissan Patrol, gas conversion, for $9k !! I bloody love it ! No problem pulling 2 ponies with that :))

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

How many km? We picked up a 98 last year for a good price but $12 000 later we're still having issues with the engine and going to get rid of it and buy a new car!

4. GiGi

GiGi Guest

It's done over 150,000kms, but I had a mechanic with me, so here's hoping I got a good one :) Looking on the carsales website, those models are still selling for $20k, with over 200,000kms on the clock. It was at the auctions too, so a lot cheaper than elsewhere

5. Wobbles

Wobbles Active Member

Has anyone ever towed with a landrover freelander?
    I have a 1998 manual 2.0l turbo diesel, its braked pulling capacity is 2000kg, but im worried it is powerful enough to tow. What are other peoples experiences?

6. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Sorted ! Got a '07 ford falcon BA, 50,000kms, LPG, heavy duty tow hitch at the auctions tonight, fantastic car ! good for everyday and will pull the pony no problems. Just need to fit the electronic brake system and I'm set, so nice to be mobile :))

7. petamc

petamc Well-known Member

GiGi, if you don't mind me asking - what did you pay??
    Thats the kind of car I'm after, hadn't thought of trying the auctions.

But didn't you buy a Patrol earlier???

8. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Hi Petmac, it was $16.5k, although there were a few earlier models with similar km's that went for around $11 to $15. But I reallllllyyyyy liked this one and it's immaculate. Also still under manufacturers warranty.
    Yep I on-sold the nissan, it was way too big for everyday use for me. I made a bit on it as it was unlicensed when I got it, so it basically financed the new one.

websites to look at are picklesauctions.com.au
    manheimfowles.com.au

you can look at the catalogues online, suggest you take a mechanic with you. Good luck, I'll never buy from a caryard again, that's where the dealers get all there's from.

9. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

GiGi, that's quite expensive. Are you sure it's 07? It would be a BF then wouldn't it? The standard sedan? Hate to say it, but you could have gotten one cheaper through a private seller. Those auctions are daylight robbery most of the time.

P.S - do love the quote in your sig :)

10. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Hi Cornflower, it is a BF MKII wagon, LPG, ex-govt vehicle. I've done a lot of shopping around already, privately, dealers etc, and I'm happy with it ;)

11. petamc

petamc Well-known Member

Thanks GiGi.
    Good luck with it!

12. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I am trading in my 2004 Facon BA Ute for a 2010 Colorado Dual Cab :D pick it up after Xmas.
    The falcom IMO tows really well for a medium car, but did struggle a little towing 2 horses, but I rarely ever took 2 anywhere and it towed 1 horse just fine.
    But upgrading to something a bit bigger that can handle the load without any struggle :)*

13. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

I tow with a 1999 VT Commodore sedan. I bought it for $7000 a few years ago with 130000kms.

Got a reese hitch put on and my float has electric brakes. Tows beautifully, I feel extremely safe towing my horses in this car.

Of course I would LOVE a nice 4WD, but there are other things in life that just have to take priority and as long as me and my ponies are safe Im happy until I have enough money to splurge on my BMW X5 :D

14. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Ah! So it would have been in the 'better' auction, licenced and rego, and ready to go.
    LPG is good. It seems the price of petrol is not going anywhere below $1.20 now with Chrissy coming up :mad:

Enjoy your new car :)

15. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Topdeck, the falcon wagon has a towing capacity of 2.3 tonne, so no worries there :)

Yep Cornflower, LPG is fantastic, 80 litres today cost me $60. 4WD would be fab, but as I will only be towing about once a fortnight, I can't justify the cost and maintenance for a 4WD. It has the heavy duty ford tow pack, rated at 1600kgs, but I plan to upgrade that to a reece, and to re-inforce the suspension.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
  16. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

Are LPG fueled cars any different to tow with compared to petrol?

Are there any problems associated with LPG if you were towing say, once a week?

With the price of petrol VS LPG it seems the obvious choice?? so I am trying to work out what can go wrong as there are a few tempting deals out there ATM!

Hopefully someone is a bit more clued in than me! **)

17. wheatbeltanimalrescue

wheatbeltanimalrescue Well-known Member

Falcons have 2.3T towing - we tow our double extended float with 2 horses NO PROBS with our BA Falcon - we have a reece hitch and transmission cooler on ours though ;)

18. pso

pso Gold Member

The question is never how much you can tow...but rather- how much you can stop ;)

19. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

My work car is LPG it would struggle to pull the skin off a custard, plus I find my self filling it up twice as often as my personal(diesel). LPG is a wrought and you are so much more likely to blow up in an accident.

20. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Indeed PSO, I'm installing an EBS for added security ;)