stupid question maybe, but...

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Shandeh, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Actually...it is judged on...

60% Conformation, Soundness, Quality
    40% Manners and Paces

If a lesser quality plain horse competes against some real quality horses, you must rememberconformation/soundness/quality is 60% and manners/paces/education is 40%. A show hack class is not a dressage test. Movements that the show horse may be asked to perform depending on the level of the competition. Maiden hack to Champion hack: the workouts should be appropriate for the level of the class.

Basically, a horse that meets the criteria of "showhorse" will usually beat a lesser quality horse that may have worked better.

2. piggy88

piggy88 New Member

That is so true they really do an amazing job for unofficial !!

I also compete with my S/bred Royal Pride in ridden and led and the way that they turn out horses is brilliant very tough competion !!!

I think its great to get them out and about in S/Bred shows and unofficial and see how you feel about it all you may find its just not for you ??? But if you go out and have some fun whilst doing it makes it much more enjoyable and thats what it should be IMO :D

Also i used to think about the whole brand thing and about dying it but the more i work with my horse the more proud i am to show off the brand and how well they can perform with correct training :)*

3. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

yay! i like this attitude :)

4. piggy88

piggy88 New Member

Thanks EC :D

In reality we all have limits and things that out horses are better suited to but there is not reason why you cant give it a go :)

I remember when i first started showing i was surprised to find how many ppl there are that give you encouragement and advise and most of them know what they are talking about lol so i used to take in as much as i could lol !!!

Oh yeah find a trainer that suits you and your horse if you dont get along with them or dont understand as that dont explain to you very it doesnt work its important to be very confident in your trainer/instructor and what they teach you so you feel nice and confident in your horses ability and yours :)

Sorry hijacked your post :)*

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Well since im logged in already I will weigh into this argument. Am well qualified to comment as have competed on my own stbred.

I would do as the others have said, spend time schooling as you are and then start off in stbred shows and unofficial. My horse was quite successful in the limited showing he did (not really my thing and then he got injured) but i know for a fact we would have been laughed out the ring at an official show.

I am yet to see a stbred that I cannot tell is a stbred without seeing the neck brand. This does in NO WAY mean they are not worth the effort, I love my boy and he has taught me an aweful lot, and we have great times together :). But even still, even the part breds I have seen have shown stbred traits that dont make them competetive official hacks. How they look in a photo, in a moment in time, is vastly different to how they look in motion doing a workout.

Stbreds are hard work too, but very rewarding. To get mine going well I was having regular lessons with a very top instructor (as in GP rider, squad member, squad coach etc), I paid A LOT of money to get the right gear (ie I rode in dozens of saddles to find the one that we went best in), and even then I was doing it all on a student budget - I could so easily spend so much more! And that was to prepare him for unofficial competition (ok so dressage and eventing as well, but those both helped him get the education and strength to do the hackign stuff too).

So dont set your goals too high. Start with smaller goal of getting him to stbred shows, if he does very well THEN you might consider open competition and even official (although as others said, i dont think he looks like an official hack). How about some dressage :) Would dearly LOVE to see some more standardbreds doing dressage!

Oh and I have NEVER been marked down for being on a standardbred, even in EWA dressage. I got far more positive comments, interested onlookers etc. Be proud of what you accomplish with your stbred and show his neck brand :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  6. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Gee its even less than I thought. So basically your horse only has to complete 24% of a workout to qualify for judging.................... So it can run around bucking and farting, rearing and biting and still win!!!! Just as long as it does a couple of nice strides of walk, trot and canter.

7. Excelsior Centerpiece

hahaha yep.... love it :) sometimes this works for me!! LOL! hahahahaha
    has anyone seen our hunter gallop?? hahaha if im laughing - you know its all going wrong!

8. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Can anyone guess the breed of this horse?

[​IMG]

STB x Arab.

Granted the dad is super nice (Kayli :p), but some really nice crosses can be done.
    K, if you'd like to take up my offer, then we shall talk :)

9. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

I have pretty pictures of my pure stbred too, a picture proves nothing. Usually the give aways are to do with the horse's movement ;)

10. Cav

Cav Gold Member

No this is not the case. The horse still needs to complete most of the workout correctly. Most judges may forgive a quality horse that takes a wrong leg if its corrected straight away or a break in the lengthen trot but only if it is the MOST quality horse there. When you have a lineup of all quality animals, generally a mistake will cost you a ribbon. Bucking, rearing etc is just plain bad manners and no judge should forgive that behaviour.

11. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

No judge should forgive that behaviour but alot of them do. So we often see a bucking into canter or rearing horse at a halt placed above those that have performed a flawless workout, cause it ticks all the right boxes in the looks department.

The only time I have ever seen a horse excluded from judging was when one ran out of the ring and another was asked to remove themselves as their horse was dangerous.

12. madcow

madcow Guest

Haha*#):p

Ta Gaia as well (I can't do double quotey thingos:eek:)

I have never seen a standardbred that could be an offical hack. Just as I have never seen a shetland that would make an offical show hunter pony or a clydesdale that would SJ A grade. I'm sure most breeds of horses could dabble at the lower levels in most disaplines and there will always be the odd exception, however Horses for courses. Find the sport that best suites your horse or find a horse that best suites the sport you want to do.

This thread is all over the place';'

13. To answer the original question - yes it is illegal to dye out brands, on ANY horse. Contact the stock brand group at the ag department and they will give you the reasons why.

14. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

I've seen a horse bolt out of the ring, and STILL go Champion? At a breed show but christ.. he spent most of the time when he was in the ring rearing lol.

15. AGREE!! I shave off everything...wiskers, ear air, notril haha leg and use false tails, makeup. You out a non presented hack to one that is you will always tell which one looks better/

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

And yet your boy is advertised for lease and his breed is stated as 'other' instead of Standardbred...

17. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Thank you Arnie.
    Dont you get upset when people make personal comments about you on here? Hmmm pot this is kettle...
    Now mind your own beeswax :p

18. Excelsior Centerpiece

hahahahahahahah thats funny... other ahahahahhaha

19. Excelsior Centerpiece

no heifer you dont know me- i wasnt laughin at you advertising ur horse as other- more i was laughing at what both you and arnie had said- haha it was just funny

20. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

I've got video if you'd like to see ;)
    Mac Mac (that horse Celestial has posted) doesn't have any of that STB 4 beat canter going on.