stupid question maybe, but...

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Shandeh, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

... is it legal to dye out a horse's brand for hacking classes? He's a standy but I think he otherwise might go official with success - he is VERY pretty, you'd think he was part Arab, and his movement is amazing - so because I know absolutely nothing about hacking, I thought I'd ask :)

Thanks all :)

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

ive seen it done but im pretty sure its illegal because you are hiding the horses identification.

3. pso

pso Gold Member

Is there rules in hacking?*#)

I've seen horses competing when died a totally different colour...and with totally different markings....I cant imagine dying a brand would be a hangable offence?

4. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

If he is nice as you say he is why not show him off? Dont be ashamed of the breed. Display the good side of the breed...

5. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Ditto ...... be proud, don't hide it.

6. blondeshowjumper

blondeshowjumper New Member

I dont think you are supposed to do it. However it would be best to check the rule book or contact the Show Horse Council.

7. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

LMAO.. :p

People dye every other part of the horse.. over the brand doesn't seem that different.

8. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

people dye their horses coats,tails and put fake stars on so why would that be different

9. katelol

katelol Guest

The rule is that you can 'enhance' but not change your horses appearance. Its obviously not a strictly enforced rule :p

Apparently there have been disguised standies competing as pretend TB's for a very long time. Its amazing what a nice thick black texta can do **)

Just an opinion but I disagree with those that say show the brand and be proud. Very few judges would have the guts to put a standy up over a TB no matter how much nicer it is :eek::eek:

10. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

I have pencilled at a hack show where a very nice standardbred had the brand very well disguised, the particular horse went well in the ribbons and placings although you could tell this horse was a standy when it was cantered.

11. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

haha now "this" may be a stupid question, do you mean you can dye a whole horse a different colour? like a chestnut to a black horse etc? omg-i did not know this!

and why are people doing this? and adding stars etc? then your really showing an animal that it "isnt" so its like false information! is it legal in the show ring to completely change the horse around from its natural identity??';'

12. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

why are people hiding these horses-they are the one of the best IMO. there are so many people that bag standies, would:confused:nt you like to NOT hide the brand if its such a good horse to kind of shut those "baggers" up and show the versitility of the sb breed??

13. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

No that would be changing the horses appearance.. you can only "enhance it" lolol.
    But you see lots and lots of brown horses dyed black.. and I know alot which maybe extend a horses 2 white hairs into a star :p haha.

14. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

If you have a bay you usally dye it a darker bay same with black also you there tails aswell if they have brown bit and stuff

15. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Whilst I don't think its a hangable offence, I think most people can pick a Stb the moment it canters. There is A LOT to official hacking (more than just a breed and its pretty), why not leave the brand and be proud of it and show it unofficially, they are doing very well such as Adina Park Phedora at the moment! Judges are putting them up more and more when they deserve to be.

16. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

I agree with Kimaley 100%. The only way to change peoples perception is to go out there and give it a go!

Good luck! (and make sure you post some pics of this spunky stb!!) :p

17. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

yep. i have seen white-grey ponies with inked up black knees descending into 4 blingy white socks. wtf????

18. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

While I agree that you should be proud about having a SB, in official hacking, the judge will probably not place a SB over a TB, even if the standarbred performs as well or better - it's the same with arabs most of the time.

19. katelol

katelol Guest

Not always the case. Where I used to a agist there was a lovely mare with a very nice balanced canter that you would never pick as a standy. Under saddle she looked and worked like a particularly nice warmblood.

Yes she is the only standy or standy cross that I have ever seen with 3 nice paces, but she was proof that they exist! :p

20. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

She does not cover the brand at all! It is simply washed with black Champion Tails and after you have done week after week shows, the brand turns a purple colour. Its not covered over in the slightest. I strongly disagree with ppl covering SB brands. Go and get another breed of horse if you don't wish to let ppl know what you are riding. JMO