stubborn young cow

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by icebabie296, Aug 4, 2002.

1. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

My dad'd horse is a stubborn cow well horse. She was my first and has tought us both alot. She is not the most well behaved horse, ok so she only does what she wants to. She has a hard mouth because before we got her she was used for trail rides and had her mouth yanked on. She has had no or little education because after she was broken in she was used for trail rides. We really love her and she had the sweetest nature, she is just really stubborn. Dad has to ride her in spurs to get her to move and then she won't stop, if he doesn't use spurs she won't go. She doesn't turn very well and really is not a good horse at all. I am very attached to her and I understand that dad wants another horse that listens and is good at stuff so he can compete competitivly. She is only about 8 so things are not too late but it's not early either. If anyone knows of someone around the collie/bunbury area that is good and reeducating horses and is relitivly cheap could they please tell me or if you know of any thing we could do to try to work her into a good horse. We love her heaps but dad is ready to move on, or she needs the work to make her able to do well.

2. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

She sounds like she has a nice nature. My sister trialed a horse a few months ago which sounded exactly like your horse. He could jump amazing, but he couldnt do anything else. She had to give him back as the amount of time it would take her to too long get him anywhere. Pitty your horse had only done trail rides too. I bet she only canters when she is ready, and stops only when there is no more straight line to canter. I feel for you. Its soo hard to make decisions with those horses, because there heart is in the right spot.

-bec-

3. Kateena

Kateena Active Member

She sounds like my sisters old mare, whom I learnt to ride on. She had a hard mouth as well, and my sister was the only one who could make her go (with me she would canter three steps and decide that it was too hard). You might want to move towards Parrelli with her, getting her to work off the legs... How often is she worked? How much does she get away with things? She may just need more respect for you. Also, do a lot more ground work with her. If she respects you on the ground, she is a lot more likely to respect you on her back.

4. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

She doesn't get that much work, dad doesn't always have the time. At the moment he is thinking of selling her and getting a horse that actually listens when you tell it to do something. The hardest thing about doing that though is she is very sweet and we love her heaps. Dad could have had three other horses over about 6 months but each time he said no he'll stick with Edge, (his horse) now he's wishing he had of taken one of the others.
    we have tried heaps of things with her but nothimg seems to sink in. And if you don't work her for more then a week she goes backwards.

5. Kateena

Kateena Active Member

Icebabie, I am really interested in this horse. Is there anyway anyone could make the time to play with her? If I could I would offer to have go with her, but unfortunately circumstances won't allow it. There is always the possiblity that you may have to give up on her.
    How long have you had her? Do you know her history? Has she just become stubborn since you have had her? It may be a situation where she is a high maintenance horse, and you may need to sell her for another that is happy to go out into the paddock and be ridden once in a while. Your horse may just resent that you don't spend much time with her. Maybe her last owners played with her constantly and she may now expect that...

I hope you do find a solution - keep us posted, won't you?

6. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

Her last owner green broke her and then used her for a trail ridding buissness. She has nevr had much attention, though she loves it when she does unless your riding her. We have had thoughts of useing her in harness, though we don't have the experience, time or money to do it. (And dad wants a horse he can ride) We pretty much know her complete history, she climbed over a 6 foot fence when she was being broken in TWICE!! And she was on the edge of being shot, which is how she got her name. She was breed, born and raised on a station during a drought so she is a really good doer and has tough hooves. When she was being used for trail rides she was galloped over rocks (this was unknown to her owner until i went on a trail ride and told her, the lady though that this friend of hers was taking the horses slowley) It took us forever for her to realise that stones on the road don't hurt her. She stops on her front legs too, which trows the saddle and rider around, though because of her Quarter horse sire she has no wither either.

7. Kateena

Kateena Active Member

She sounds so much like my sister's first horse!!! She was a fat old pony with a hard mouth that really disliked working. Unfortunately, because she became so much trouble (it would take three of us in the ute 1/2 hr to an hour to catch her!!!) we just left her out in the paddock. I could catch her and just jump on bareback if i had food and no tack, but apart from that we couldn't do too much with her. I now feel really guilty, because she died at 19, being too fat and too smart for her own good (Mum found her in the neighbours paddock - she'd opened all the gates to get there....) This is probably why I'm so interested, I'd like to make amends... We gave up on her and she died. Sound like you have a real battle on your hands if you continue with her.

Goodluck!!!

8. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

Persistance is what it is going to take and hopefully when she comes down here and is in the backyard, we will have more time for her, and she may be a good horse one day. Considering it is costing us nearly $500 to get her down here, we will just have to persist.

9. Em

Em Well-known Member

You don't need to send her to someone to re educate - with the right instruction you should be able to make progress yourself. We regularly hold clinics down south with my instructor how teaches under Ken Faulkner, and I have seen many a horse transformed. My friends horse was 19 years young and hard and set in his ways. It took a little longer than younger horses but she was successful and he is now one of the most obliging horses you will ever come across. We are holding a 2 day clinic in Donnybrook on 5 - 6 October but that is $240 for the two days, one day clinics are also held which are $120. I believe it is money well spent. What you learn applies to all horses, not just the ones you have problems with.

Em

10. Mel

Mel New Member

Hi Em,
    How much is it to audit? my hubby would be interested in auditing on the 6th, I am flying out from Perth on that morning, oh.. and excuse my ignorance, how far and in which direction is Donnybrook from Perth? (I am not originally from WA, neither is Hubby [​IMG]) He has just started with Ken as well.

~Mel~

11. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

Mel , Donnybrook is about 20mins south of Bunbury ( which is about 2 hours south of Perth ).

12. Em

Em Well-known Member

Mel - I think it is about $30 - $50 to audit off the top of my head. I would have to check. There was a clinic on the weekend up in Perth and there will no doubt be more if Donnybrook is too far - shall start putting them in the News under General Discussion

Em

13. Mel

Mel New Member

Thanks Guys, [​IMG]
    What Level is the clinic Em? Hubby has just about completed L3, is there much difference with Ken's way?
    Ta Muchly

~Mel~

14. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

Thanks for that Em, though the horses won't be coming down here until 7th October. Having just moved down here and only just buying a house that is a soon as we can bring them down. How often are clinics held? We might be interested in the future.

15. Em

Em Well-known Member

The Donnybrook clinic will have alot more level two and above - most of the perth ones at this stage are still pre level 1 and level 1. I am finding that through Kens levels it is actually harder than Parelli. It is good though because it ensures you get the basics right and once you get that the rest just falls into place. Good on your hubby for being level 3!!

Goose we look forward to seeing you out and about down here with your horses!!

Em

16. Em

Em Well-known Member

Sorry Goose - there is usually a clinic down at Donnybrook probably almost once a month and clinics elsewhere most weekends.

Em