Straw for weight loss

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by atlast, Feb 11, 2013.

1. atlast

atlast New Member

I have a quarter horse that really needs to lose weight. I will cut back on hard feeds and hay, but once she has the grass down as she does now and don't want to move her to more grass yet as she will only get bigger, she digs up roots and ends up with sand in her belly. Already had colic surgery once don't want to do that again.

I have heard of using straw as low calories and gives them something to munch on. What type, where do you get it, and do you give it ad lib.

Also has anyone tried a muzzle to stop the constant foraging through the sand?

Are there other low calorie feeds? Also soaking hay an option?

2. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

Ive heard meadow hay can be good for keeping them occupied but less fattening then oatern...

I too have a fatty QH and the only solution ive found is locking him up over night with a feed

3. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

Waves hand in the air @)

I have a fatty - not only is he fat, he excels on very little.

I lock him up for about 12 - 18 hours a day, and he is on 2 seasons old hay, that was washed out after ran. So very little nutrition (but plenty in reality for many horses! )

I supplement anything he might be missing with a VERY small amount of Advanced Advantage (vit /min mix) in dampened plain oat husks (approx 1 litre.)

The last crop of meadow hay we did - sent me asking for some oaten please!!! :blink:

It blew their socks of....so meadow is meadow....and varies dramatically in what nutritional value it provides to the horse, and in what quantity. Like a garden salad, as what is in it? whatever is growing in the garden basically :D

Oaten Hay - but you at least know that you are just eating "iceberg lettuce" so to speak.....

Said horse on 12- 6 hours of pasture and locked up on a very slow fed 2 biscuits of crappy hay.... We manage it ;) just......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. atlast

atlast New Member

Thanks, it seems having a good doer might be harder than the other way around. So locking up at night might be a good idea. Getting in to the sand in the stable worries me. Using a muzzle sounds harsh but if it stops the intake of sand overnight could also be an option?

5. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Plus (and I know I bang on about them) a slow feed net. So that whatever hay you do feed, takes a few hours to eat.

6. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

Barley Straw ( sorry, I missed this question before!) :D

7. atlast

atlast New Member

slow release hay net sounds like a good idea, do most stockfeeds have them i am in Baldivis area?

8. atlast

atlast New Member

Thanks NLEC. Your boy looks like a character, what an ongoing battle it is to keep that big belly under control!

9. Hank

Hank New Member

Lovely horse NLEC and you have hot the nail on the head we have a welsh B same deal locked up for 12 hours with a scoop of chaff only gets paddock feed and still gets fat he is 13 year old pony only gets worked by young children has just been diagnosed with arthritis in both hocks and stifle a very sad day for us but he also has a weight problem which wouldn't be helping him so I am interested to see what everyone else does I am going to make a paddock under some trees with no feed and try alternate days in and out as well as in at night and see if that works. #(

10. Rosinante

Rosinante Active Member

I thought it was better to lock horses from pasture in daylight hours when the sugar level is at it's highest? Allow grazing at night instead :confused:

11. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Work the horse harder and more often to really help burn off those calories and manage her weight. More movement the better. And barley straw is great for these horses! **)

12. Jordy D

Jordy D Active Member

My Quarter Horse was on 630kg and is 15.1hh, he was sore in his feet due to his digital cushion becoming squished and also having a problem with one of his hooves due to a injury to his pedal bone as a youngster. Bascialy diagnosed as an obese show horse :)
    I ended up doing drastic and cut his feed back from:
    A 20L bucket of oaten chaff
    1 kg of Lucerne
    1 full scoop (1 - 1.5kg) of Prydes Easi Response
    1 500g scoop of Mill Mix
    1-2 good weighted biscuits of oaten hay
    plus grazing

That was his normal every day feed, split into two. He is now on:

1 20L bucket of chaff
    250g of Prydes Easi Sport
    60g scoop of Nutriquin
    60g scoop of biotin
    Big hay bag of Meadow hay at night and a decent about at day
    plus minimal grazing

He is now around 560kg at a guess, but he is half of what he is and is blooming and has energy and is happy in himself again. The Response feed is high fat and obviously was too much but the Sport is marketed at foundering horses and good doers. Thats worked for me, but everyone is different. He is in full show work (western - lead changes, hard work etc) plus trail rides and having him in deep sand and beach trips helped take the weight off.