strappers or track riders?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by trippa, Nov 17, 2008.

1. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

Those 2 girls are ok. One was ok to start and the other got discharged from hospital yesterday lunch time I think.

2. Reg81

Reg81 Active Member

Ring the Turf Club, they should be able to help you and tell you when te next school is. I think this is a good way to go bout things especially not knowing rules of track etc...You learn all that there

3. Jess&Sabby

Jess&Sabby Well-known Member

4. intendeli

intendeli Well-known Member

i love it :) i not really a proper one cos i not riding at ascot -- but i love goin for a gallop at work ... really gets the adrenaline up . . .

just be careful tho if ya do -- i lucky i work with a great trainer who i trust totally :)

how u jess?

5. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

I'm going to be getting my strappers hopefully soon! yay.. Thanks to Misskel LOL

6. Jez

Jez Gold Member

From another viewpoint....for people wishing to take up careers as trackriders, look at your own capabilities in an honest light. Its not your horse, if your on my horse pulling on his mouth, im not going to like you very much...the haha i can stay on through anything attitude doesnt cut it for me...Sorry i realise everyone has to start somewhere BUT....a GOOD trackrider IMO is usually an ex jockey who has given into the weight fight and can TEACH my horse something out there.

The veryexpensiveone I have a token share in over east gets trackridden by Craig Newitt or Damien Oliver...that in itself is a telling thing, that jockeys of that calibre still ride work in the mornings. Of course theyre looking at potential rides and are stable riders for a big name trainer, but at least I know the expensiveone is being shown something out there.

Its not all about going round in a circle and haha i can hang on through anything. Some owners do specify preferences in trackriders. Doc was never ridden by any trackrider, only a former jockey. Other horse was ridden by trackriders...guess how pissed off I was to find a girl on his back bring him in with a bleeding mouth saying he pulled like a freightrain so she had to ..."hang on".........

Best of luck whatever you do, good trackriders are hard to find.

7. Jess&Sabby

hey ams, yeah im alright. just didnt have a very good night at home last night so didnt get any sleep and in the morning i just couldnt move:( how are you?

8. intendeli

Totally agree with you Jez ... I think being honest about your own ability about anything in life is what counts . . . Riding in general is never just about hanging on . . . it is about having feel and an understanding for the wonderful animal working for us.

There are too many people these days, and not just in the racing industry, who see something, like it, want it and who get it without any real knowledge of what it is that they are doing.

I can imagine good track riders are hard to find -- I am lucky in that I have worked and ridden along side some fantastic riders with so much feel @) S & K @) and i work for a trainer who knows whats going on all the time and whose opinion i always respect!!

9. intendeli

@) hope u OK jess?

things were same old same old --- kenny racing tomorrow!! woohooo!!!

see ya when you feeling better :)

10. Jess&Sabby

hehe yay go kenny. see you soon :)

11. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Thanks for not taking that as a put down Intendelli, was meant in all sincerity - I want someone to know evens, the difference between a working gallop and a pipe burner, i want someone who can tell me he farted at the 600...I still havent forgotten being at trackwork one morning and seeing a girl bring a horse in with the thumps....trainer was yelling at her about why she kept working it when you could hear it thumping and her answer......"No one told me to listen to anything"....I turned to my trainer and told him if he every employed anyone like that i would be changing trainers.

12. trippa

trippa Well-known Member

i can see ur point jez.
    it was just an idea as something i have always wanted to do, so i thought of maby getting into it but reading what people have to say ill stick making horse gear and sewing for now!

13. misskel

I disagree with you Jez. I am a VERY good track rider, never hang on a horses mouth and never have I hurt an animal in the 17 years that I have been riding. Jockeys I'm sorry are some of the worse riders going around in terms of patience, knoweledge of how to educate a baby horse and general horsemanship. Afterall some haven't even layed a hand on a horse until apprentice school.. I also know of many horses who have become a'holes to ride thanks to a few jocks!!! D Oliver and C Newwitt??? They are the creme de la creme of jocks so in my opinion they should be able to ride good track work.

I know many track riders and they are all good. Yeah there are some bad ones but the majority that I know do a pretty good job. Owners need to respect good tarck riders a bit more afterall they are the ones risking their life on some well behaved and some not so well behaved horses for what??? $20 at the most.

I think that if people have a good riding background the transition to trackrider is pretty smooth. If anyone is looking to become a track rider go through the motions thoroughly and take baby steps. No mad pullers or buckers. Start from scratch. Crawl before you walk.....

14. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

well said misskel**) no offence jez but not all track riders are bad and not all hang onto the horses mouth, its just a few that havent been taught very well that make other riders look bad.

15. trippa

trippa Well-known Member

mm i like ur point to ahah**) decions decions. track riders put there lifes in a way on the line so i think they deserve some credit(pat yourselfs on the back) ahahahahahaha:)*

16. Spider n Toby

Very well said Kel :D ( Zeph missed Elmo too! haha )

Goodluck with what ever you decide to do! I'm sure it will be a very rewarding job though. I am actully excited to get my strappers license! yay lol

17. misskel

Hey Lauren, Elmo loved his walk with his big mate. We need to do it at least once a week if not more. How funny were they together!!

18. Spider n Toby

haha I know. I was JUST thinking that same thing. I'm free basically anyday so if you want to just msg me and we can go. I'm going to walk Zeph instead of ride though, that way he can have more fun! LOL

19. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

Wow.... have missed this thread grow..... DAMN YOU PRODIGAL NEW POSTS BUTTON!!!

IMO Kel and Jez both have it right.....
    A GOOD track rider educates the horse to be trackworked,
    and a GOOD jock educates the horse to race.

A good team consists of:
    A GOOD owner,
    A GOOD horse (the least priority IMO),
    A GOOD breaker,
    A GOOD trainer,
    A GOOD track rider,
    A GOOD strapper,
    A GOOD jock.

Any element not GOOD... = a less happy, consistent, constructive and successful horse.

It is my aim to be a GOOD cog in a happy and successful wheel, be it as a strapper (go Spicey, Sleepy, and Jumbo!!),breaker, track rider, and or trainer.

I admire: Scottie, Michael F**), Brennan, Paula, Vicky, Emma, Jess, and Jess, Clint, Jarrod.... hhmmmm heaps of others.. Lovely riders and awesome strappers.

PS: go MF with all the posh rides atm, lol! (TT footage on PR atm)

:))S

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  20. intendeli

Yep agree with Tain absolutely too ....

Without a good team there is nothing . . . We all want to be good cogs :)

I like that analogy!

We gotta try catch up some time, some where :) @)