strappers or track riders?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by trippa, Nov 17, 2008.

1. trippa

trippa Well-known Member

does anyone have ajob as a strapper or track rider. im interested in getting into it but im no sure wether it would be as good as it seems or wether i would be to heavy to be a track rider. i wight probably close to 70(heavy boned):D but im also not too tall.lol, not 6 foot ahah what do u guys recon to heavy? just thought i would put it out there and see if any stockies have either occupation?

2. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

Dont worry trippa, i want to do it too and im tiny! im only 5ft3 and sitting at just 50kgs.... i could be a jockey but stuff that,

3. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

most places are happy for you to track ride/exercise ride as long as ur 80kg or under! :)

4. trippa

trippa Well-known Member

wicked as because my freind got her trainers licence and she mentioned strapping or track riding but also said that if i wanted to do something like that i would need to be licence, do u guys know what that means?

i wanted to be a jockey when i was younger but i way way to big ahah
    i love the thrill of a gallop:D but not falling off#(

5. Dark Embrace

Dark Embrace Active Member

To ride track work at any of the tracks, you need a track work licence.
    For that you need to ring the RWWA??? You will need to do a police check, medical, drug test and then an interview.

I got my track work licence, but dont ride as i am 6 foot tall and weigh 80kg... :(

Goodluck with it..

6. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

u need to ring RWWA to become licensed thru them :)
    its not too expensive though
    for ur trackwork riders u need tog et a medical

7. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

And become fairly ok with 'falling off' lol!;)

8. CharlieChick

CharlieChick Active Member

I have just got my licence for strapper/stablehand and now trainning to become a jockey but im tiny. but im sure your wait will be fine for track worker:)*

9. trippa

trippa Well-known Member

:)*thanks guys ill look into it

10. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

and if a trainer asks u if u can ride good....say " only the quiet ones!" lol hehehe:p

11. Jess&Sabby

Jess&Sabby Well-known Member

lol yes as tain said be good at falling off. you have to be a very good rider. id always wanted to be a track work rider and thought i was an excellent rider but turns out im excellent at riding eventers and show horses. not so good at track work( they are very very strong) lol its great fun but there very different to show horses etc

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  12. Love my horses

Love my horses New Member

And even the quiet ones can play up! Normally it is those ones you fall off, as you aren't prepared for them!!! :p Or so I found. But it is also great fun and a big adrenaline rush. I miss galloping sometimes :( But love listening to sarahs stories instead, almost as good!

13. ilikehorsesdou

ilikehorsesdou Well-known Member

OMG guy its not that bad i love track riding i love being on top of all that speed felling the wind in your face eat the grass and dirt when you hit the ground horses bolting,bucking being big twats oh gee i miss it

If only i was 20kg lighter i would still being doing it guess thats why i love quinndanning picnic races and i guess that why im alway's wonting to have a good gallop geeee i miss it if only maybe one day ill get back in the saddle i hope **)

14. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

LOL at getting used to falling off sarah!!! You'd know!!!:D*#):p

15. Dark Embrace

Dark Embrace Active Member

Does anyone know how the 2 girls are that came off on the road while riding down to Ascot yesterday morning? (sorry to steal your thread)

16. trippa

trippa Well-known Member

no thats fine, i might rethink being a track rider haha, hope they are ok

17. Reg81

Reg81 Active Member

You used to be able to go through the apprentice school to get your track license, that was handy you got used to riding race horses, taught how to hold them, all about your times and stuff like that, And at the end you get to jump one outta the barriers(great fun), I'm sure they still do it.

18. trippa

trippa Well-known Member

that sounds fun, any idea where opr any details on that school?

19. Dashbabe

Dashbabe Well-known Member

ive been thinking about it to, but im not tottally sure yet. this info has been great, given me a few things to think about lol
    i wouldnt class myself as an experienced or great rider...but i can stay on (normally haha.)when the horse pigroots/rears/bolts ext

id like to know the school to :)

20. Love my horses

Love my horses New Member

When I got my track license, u had to know a bit of theory about the track, and answer a few questions the stewards ask you about it. Then u have to do a practical test to get your slow license first, where you have to ride in front of the stewards at the track with either a jock or track rider. Then once you have that you can go for your fast license where you ride with a jockey, and they tell the stewards whether you have the capability of doing fast work. Its not that hard really, and it is a lot of fun!