1. We need members to write feature posts. Posts can be made in any forum and are automatically displayed on the home page as well. Remember content is king!

strange things you run across when riding

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by PF, Oct 12, 2011.

1. PF

PF Active Member

I just had to share with someone....
    I was out riding on the Heritage Trail tonight just after dark. We were cantering along when suddenly pony props, spins and goes to take off back the way we had come. I pulled him up short, turned him back around and tried again, again he spun. I turned him back again and turned my headlight on as I figured there had to be something there. Sure enough, there was a tent set up on the side of the track. Every time the occupant of the tent moved (and the tent moved) pony would freak. I figured being school holidays it was porbably kids so I called out asking to stop wobbling the tent for a bit so I could get past. Turns out it wasn't kids, and a very indignant american accent gets stroppy with me. I apologised profusely but I don't think he accepted my apology ';'.

Must say I was quite shocked to see someone camping there - I mean it is basically suberbia.

2. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

:eek:......yeah - that would have been fairly ironic!

I certainly would have been shaking my head for a while ...

3. PF

PF Active Member

Yeah, I didn't know whether to get off my horse and push the apology a bit more or just leave and hope he doesn't think all Aussies are crazy after dark horse riders!! Opted for the latter - nothing like doing my bit to ruin tourism :(

4. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Ahh poor pony!
    But you shouldn't have needed to apologise... rude man for getting stroppy at you!

Not whilst riding, but Sunday morn we woke up to our Greyhound STILL yapping (she yapped all bloody night, figured it was foxes in the end).
    Went to tell her to shut up LOL & found some dude behind our property (& behind the shed where the Greyhound's run is), camped out in his swag.
    Ray yelled out to him but he didn't wake up so i threw some small rocks at the swag, he woke LOL! :eek:
    He was absolutely pissed still & apologised after wondering where he was... how the dog didn't keep him awake all night (ahhh joys of being soo drunk you just about die in your sleep!).
    He packed his crap up & drove off! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2011
  5. PF

PF Active Member

Now that's bizarre Remaani (and a little scary).

6. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

I'd be wondering why the heck someone was camping illegally and be telling him I'm phoning the police (once I was passed and able to gallop away very quickly!!!).:(

7. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Why was the tent wobbling, he might be irate because you interrupted something?

Weirdest thing was staying on an isolated sheep farm 600kms from town, we are in the paddock and a jogger wearing an iPod goes past. Then two kittle kids on bikes. After a few minutes, a yummy mummy in pink designer sweats pushing a three wheeled pram. WTF, it looked like there was a wormhole between the track and a suburban street spitting out time/space travellers.

Next day we ride out around the rock and we see one of those solar garden lights that people put along their driveways. In the middle of nowhere. Then another and another. Then a huge blue portaloo 5m off the track. Then in the next clearing about 20 4WD vehicles with assorted tents, barbeques, marquees, dirtbikes, even two kids jumping on a trampoline. 'Happy easter' they all waved at us merrily. We couldn't wave back until we'd calmed the horses over the bright flapping tents that weren't there yesterday. Why would a massive group of people want to travel so far to camp in the middle of a dry, dusty sheepfarm and get covered in flies? Wierd and surprising.

8. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Quite a few wierd things I've seen on my horse riding travels!
    Naked man with a suitcase in front of his privates running through the pines!

What looked to be satanic ritual area - in the pines! There were satanic symbols marked into the trees and a tree stump covered in possibly blood. There horses did not want to go anywhere near the area! But they obliged in the end so we could have a look but spent the entire time quivering with their eyes bulging out of their heads!

Ummm, a shallow grave that had bones in it. Police investigated and turned out to be animal bones

An open suitcase with many different ID's in it, handcuffs, passports etc. All the names were diferent but the photo was the same guy. Gave it all to my mates uncle who is a detective and turns out that it all belonged to an undercover cop!

There's more stories but can't remember the details. Will have a think about it

9. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

a friend of mine found a car with a body inside. person had committed suicide.

10. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

was that in the pines blitzen ?

LOL i was always warned when i went for trail rides in there to look straight ahead and keep on the tracks

11. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

certainly was! good ol' gnangara. even features in "Broken Lives", i think the book is called.

12. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Not in the bush but i woke up to my daughter telling me there was a peacock on our front door mat, Went to check and YEP sure was, this is in suburbia!!!!!!!! Turns out it belongs to a neighbour!!!

13. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

The pines are scary. We used to agist next to them, and the horses would spend thewhole day staring into the forest with their eyes boggling. Always supertense. I've never had such hyperalert trail rides. Bad Ju-ju in there.

14. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

That is WAY scary! :eek:

I'm readin a 'true crime' novel on the Claremont Killer at the moment and apparently Sarah's body was supposedly (though never found) somewhere in the Gnangara Pines :eek:

Also, there is a connection (according to the book) to Ciara being part of a 'cult'!!! ETA - not her, but abducted for a cult.....

Arggghhhh!!

Scares the bejeebuz outa me! :(

15. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

I've never really come across anything too weird...

A burnt out car, what looked like someone's lounge room scattered in the bush... that's about it :D

16. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

mate, the pines are amazing. active bee hives, all sorts of car junk, 'living rooms' set up around little bon fires. and plenty of explosions & real bona fide fireworks (where do ppl even get them????).

BB, my horses ride okay in the pines. maybe the part where we are is more civilised? also, i've noticed a lot of the dodgy-ness has calmed down since they've harvested so much. a big open sand pit is not as inviting as a deep dark forest.

17. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

i came across a young couple having some "a lone time" other than that i have only ever come across burnt out cars and house hold furniture