Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by dpjg, Jan 17, 2014.

1. dpjg

dpjg Active Member

My brother and sister in law have purchased a lovely quiet QH gelding, five weeks ago. He is bringing a lot of confidence to his young rider. But, a couple of weeks ago, the agistment alerted us ( because we live close) to come out and check him because he looked like he was "choking" in the paddock. But he wasn't. Puzzling. Then he did it again a few days later in the stable with all of us there. He wanted to chew wood and was prevented, then stretched his head out low and repetitively was opening his mouth. When I came along, snapping a carrot into two, he immediately stopped and stood to attention. The behaviour did not return that day. We are getting a vet out to do teeth to clear that, but what do stockies think? We think it may be a habit when he is stressed or bored. Of course, the previous owners made no mention of this habit (if that is what it is) when selling him. They are also not returning calls. (Not sure why, we are only asking to meet to get the registration papers, they have their money and we already receipt end the sale).

2. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Was it like a yawn?

3. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

I vote for hooks on the upper molars ;)

4. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

Or tension in the sternomandibularis muscle...

5. Fat Tiger

Fat Tiger Active Member

I have one who did something which sounds similar. No teeth issues but I put all of mine in gastrozol when they are racing and I haven't noticed him do it for ages.
    Does he actually move his lower jaw sideways when he does it? Mine did but not sure why. I thought he may have even been trying to windsuck without holding on to anything but like I say I haven't seen this behaviour since treating him for ulcers and have never seen him windsuck ever!
    A new environment can be stressful for them even if that environment is better than where they came from. A lot of horses have ulcers but don't always show typical signs.

6. dpjg

dpjg Active Member

Thanks for the ideas stockies, I knew the knowledge base would have some ideas! We know the vet can come out later this week, we will have a check on all those suggestions and a thorough dental done. Otherwise he seems well, a sweet kind fellow who tries to always do the right thing. I will post an update.

7. dpjg

dpjg Active Member

The vet has been, he said straight away, "ulcers" and we have a paste to administer. Luckily the horse obliged by doing the stretching out of his head and neck and chewing the air just as the vet entered the stable, so he was able to have a good look at what was going on. Teeth have been done as well. A relief to have a diagnosis!