Station Horse - introducing feed back to the diet

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Hayley, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

Hi All,

This weekend I'm picking up a horse from my uncles station, he used to he our race horse and was a really good doer, always carried way too much weight. He's been living off of the land for a year and half now with no hard feed and he will be coming back into work once I think he's in good enough shape again.

What do people suggest in terms of introducing feed back to the diet, we still have a lot of dead pasture up here in the paddocks, and I'm thinking just hay to start with. When he does go into hard feed what do people suggest? I want to keep it basic, feed is also very expensive up here and limited to what we can get.

TIA

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Is he a race horse again or pleasure hack?? So he is good doer then?

Ad lib hay, 5L of Lucerne chaff twice daily, and 2L flaked lupins and 2L flaked barley over 2 feeds daily. Plus a good multi-vit and salt block ad lib.

KISS policy.:)*

3. Hayley

Hayley Well-known Member

Definitely not a race horse again, he will just be to keep
    My other boy company and beach riding.

I only have access to wheaten hay ATM up here for the next month, I have never fed it before tho, do u think this will be alright? And I doubt I'll have access to a salt block through the stock feeders up here.. So I'll have to add some to his feed from the supermarket what kind do u suggest and how much?

4. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

Any salt will do. Well maybe besides chicken salt :) If hes not fussy just what caroline said would do, if he is, better off with oats.