starting to get a bit of a frame happening...

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Shandeh, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Thanks mum :)

2. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

Lack of money. I can now afford regular lessons so that's the plan :)

3. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

PHEWWW.....Im glad to hear this...wat a saga :p

4. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i've read this whole thread with interest.

not much to say about other things, except that i bought a NON-green tb, who wasn't off the track either. i'd also been riding for 25 years when i got him.

it took a year of JUST doing groundwork to help re-establish a relationship with him as he didn't view me in any way as a leader. and then another 2.5 years of pretty consistent lessons before i started to feel pretty happy whilst riding him.

so that's about $3000-ish just in lessons... for my NON-off the track horse.
    then factor in about another $3000 in body work (bowen & deep tissue), saddle fittings & dentist visits (he has bung teeth), so he has no excuse for bad behaviour, and i finally have a horse where things are coming together.

and this doesn't even touch on the original price of the horse (who was cheap but not free) nor on the cost of his general maintenance & keep.

i made an absolute commitment to this horse, to be the best person i possibly can for him & to help him through his issues. i KNEW i couldn't do it on my own so i sought a LOT of help. i *still* get reactive & emotional when he throws stuff at me & that's why i still get regular lessons; my instructor is helping me fill my toolbox so i always have a strategy on hand to deal with a particular behaviour or evasion. i really don't know how things would have turned out if i didn't have professional help on hand every step of the way with this horse.

so whatever choice you make, horse-wise, shandeh, you need to make a commitment to it. and a commitment to improve. as a person who "rode" for 25 years, it's only in the last 4 years that i've been forced to truly eat humble pie & realise that i hadn't been riding at all! i'd just been a passenger on board tolerant, well behaved animals who were patient & plugged around happily with me. it was my 'challenge' horse that taught me how much i DON'T know & how important it is to constantly seek to improve.

5. sil

sil Gold Member

And yet if you put a well bred, well handled and brought up young horse, professionally broken in for riding on the market for anything over $5000 someone will always call you up and mention they can get a TB for $500.

The above post is the kind of things that always goes through my mind when I hear this.

Congratulations blitzen for your committment and for learning with your horse; not many people have the guts to put those yards in and stick it out. Well done!

6. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

thanks sil :)

7. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Wish there was a like button **)**)

8. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Do you have a job Shandeh? Even doing some part time work you should be able to make enough to afford permanet lessons. Just putting it out there. Goodluck

9. God bless facebook haha

10. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Cant tell you how much I agree - so many people just want to go out and buy a young horse, and expect it to be out competing within a couple of weeks. Then when it doesnt live up to their expectations they sell it on because the horse is a "problem" and buy yet another horse. See it happening all the time!

Doesnt matter what horse you have, OTTB, or a well bred slowly started youngster, all horses need TIME and PATIENCE put into them. Without that committment to the horse and your own training you will never get anywhere

PS - by you I am not referring to Shandeh personally - just "you" as a general context :-D

11. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO agree with this. even the *best* most talented riders, under the best & most talented instruction, with ALL the finances and resources in the world available to them, meet horses whom they have to re-set the finish line with, excuse the metaphor.

and if a person knows they don't have the time, patience and humility, then as a rider & a horse person, they have a responsibility to the horse to either find it in themselves to seek help, or to find a home for the horse (with complete disclosure) where it has an opportunity to succeed.

12. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Fantastic advice Blitzen, really enjoyed reading your posts :)