starting to get a bit of a frame happening...

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Shandeh, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Omg :(

Shandeh.. please, please listen to the advice you are being given.
    YOU will end up hurt. It's not a maybe, it's a definite!
    You describe yourself as explosive :confused: Do you REALLY think a sensitive horse who still thinks he/she is a racer is a good idea.

I know exactly what it's like.
    I got a horse to soon, a green TB.. I however was a lot younger and more nieve. I thought I knew it all and didn't need anyone's help.
    Within weeks I began to have problems, horse began to run backwards, and eventually would rear. It got to the point where he was to dangerous to ride as I feared he would flip over. The end result = a nervous, scared rider and a now nervous horse, with bad habits and a bad name due to MY ignorance!

Thank god it was a lease and he went back to his owner and was fine. But what would have happened if I owned him? Who wants a horse who someone else had screwed up, coz to be frank that's what happened. I had turned him into a possibly dangerous horse when he was infact a sweet boy.

You need an older school master who has been there and done it.
    You knowledge is limited and unfortunately your temper will work against you.
    I'm NOT trying to be mean. I do NOT think I could handle an OTTB either.

I now have a gorgeous 22 year old who has the most amazing temperament.
    I've gone back to having lunge lessons on a quiet school master at a riding school to improve MYSELF! If I was you I would either search for a school master and have lessons with him, or go back to a riding school.

We don't wana read about you in the news.. teen killed by horse.

2. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Just read your add.. Please tell me your not planning on breaking in the 'unbroken horses' by yourself?

& why no standardbreds?

3. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

omg. Wtfudge.

4. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Just read a bit of this, HOLY MOLY !!
    I got an 8 y/old TB, well educated. Ended up killing my confidence and completely take the pi** out of me. I had someone a lot more experienced school him for a month and now he's with an experienced eventer who has weekly lessons and he's doing great.
    I now have a 13 y/old TB, who has the most fabulous temperament, has a lovely education, and with lessons for the past 3 months we are entering our first ODE this weekend. And I'm ENJOYING it again, instead of being worried all the time.
    NO WAY would I take on anything else at the moment, I don't have the expertise.
    You sound young, I hope your parents have some input into this decision.

5. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Says unbroken horses are ok on the add lol.

6. Excelsior Centerpiece

seriously. get a great schooly. they arent all old and decrepid!! i had a beautiful 10 yr old chestnt tank who was schooled to elemantary level and he was great for me... safe. even tho i knew how to ride - i really only thought i did and knew crap all really!!!!even now on my weeman im seeing and feeling amazing things i never thought were possible! and only now that im starting elementary myself am i really developing a feel for things... and light bulbs are starting to go off... i thought i knew how to ride before but i was just sitting there doing crap all!

7. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

i completely agree with everyone else here and lauren

i bought a green 8yo tb and i lost my confirdence

i sold my horse, im getting lessons weekly and im going to buy again next year

i have experience but i dont know everything no one does, all you can do is keep learning !!!!!!!

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Yes, but EC, those kind of horses don't come free.

9. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Not to buy NG but you can often lease them. I got a ripper of a horse (won at medium level dressage) etc for lease when I was 15. He taught me so much, but was hardly an "easy" horse. I learnt so much about riding from him.

It takes a long time to find them, but why not save up while you are waiting for something to come along. That way you can either buy something great, or if you lease you will have $$$ in the bank for gear, lessons, clinics etc.

I've seen quite a few nice ones for around $5000 lately - absolute bargains!

10. Excelsior Centerpiece

mine was......

11. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I hope the mother steps in soon - and either shuts down this thread, or shuts down the pipe dreams ;(

Both are damaging for the child, and not all appropriate. All the situations outlined are appalling - we are not be presumtuous, as we have beem provided with alot of information :(
    I feel that all the advice given, the worries, fears and concerns are all COMPLETELY valid. And I am worried about the 'free' acsess to the internet that is apparently allowed, and the inuseing dangerous situations that will certainly be an outcome of such. The advice that is being given, is not being utilised appropriately - so obvioustly more assitence is needed.

VERY VERY concerning.

Where is mum?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  12. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Hear hear. We all know there are people who will use that ad to get rid of an unsafe OTTB....

13. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I think that Sugar's Mum is completely aware and supportive of Shandehs ambitions.

14. crave

crave Well-known Member

Really I think enough is enough now, everyone has given their advice/concerns for this young girl and if she listens then she's smarter than I think, but it is the parents responsibility to stand up now and take control of this situation. I dont know the young girl but if it were my daughters they wouldnt even be on this forum giving out all this information. I read that the mum has a horse well maybe she has some sense as well and stops this nonsense, if not then it is beyond all of us. Why this young girl keeps posting is beyond me anyway :(

15. smash

smash Well-known Member

mum should be in soon with a basket of excuses :)

16. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Agreed.........#(

17. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

I'm 27 and my mum still cringes and tries to talk me out of bringing and OTTTB home LOL.....:p

18. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Sometimes outsiders written words sink in better then Mum's words eoroe.

Sometimes the passion of a teenager needs time to subside before commonsense can be spoken.

*sigh*

I appreciate everyones concerns they are very valid. Mum is watching on.

And yes Mods I think this one has gone on long enough. Could it please be closed.

Shandeh can see others concerns here and she will be thinking about them.
    Just at the moment she is one tracking on the idea of a project horse. i think she is now thinking it might be good to have weekly lessons on Latte for a month to see how that goes. I am hopefull that that idea will be worked with.

19. crave

crave Well-known Member

Good on you mum, I know how hard it can be sometimes. You are a brave women for getting back on here :) I hope you MAKE her listen to you for both your sakes. Good luck!

20. Excelsior Centerpiece

yes. lessons lesson slessons why wasnt this haapening in the first place!
    then sell the pony then get a schoolie or just sell pony and have lessons for a year. save and get good horse thats suited to what you want to do