starting to get a bit of a frame happening...

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Shandeh, Oct 8, 2010.

1. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Okay.
    Please no one bite my head off, as I am in a totally neutral position here. I can see everyone's points of view.

a. I have seen Latte, and he does tend to go barrell shaped when a little overweight, same as all other horses do. If I took a photo of Rahni now side on, he would look fine, but front on, and you would be asking me for photos of his teats :p
    b. I agree with lessons, and a saddle fitter, but as Shandeh has said, this can't happen until AFTER they have moved. So i'd stop suggesting those things, because they'll look into it once they have moved. They, like us, are not magicians, we don't have time, or funds to do everything we would like to RIGHT NOW.
    c. Shandeh, I am going to start taking Rahnald on beach rides once a week, as part of his fitness programme. We will be starting in WALK. And doing lateral work, and fun work. Lifting him off his front end, letting him come underneath himself, and getting him light to his aids. Only when I feel he is progressing steadily, will I mive him up to trot. I am sure that you can nab the other bay in the float if you want to take Latte down for a different environment to work in.
    d. Dressage is hard work. VERY hard work. Look at Mocha and Kayli, they've been battling this dressage slog for ages. They've hit brick walls hard in the face, and they've cleared them as well. But she is uder the guidance with a VERY good instructor, and she takes time out to reflect on her rides. She videos them, scrutinizes them, and learns from her mistakes. Jumping should be the same. It is HARD work. Some horse are cut out for one discipline more than another, and some adapt to the rider. Rahni, he's adapted to dressage. He used to be a hacky. But now, I take him into a hack ring, and we battle. Dressage is mroe his thing.
    If you love Latte as much as you say you do, and want to keep him, then YOU change your perception. Get him working super well, and then sell him on when he has some more education under his belt. I would have thought that would be the way to go?

I had Rosie for two years. After the first year, I should have sold her, but I didn't. I had dressage lessons every two weeks, and jumping lessons every three. Together, we battled on, until she could pull some good dressage tests, and fly around cross country, in perfect timing. It didn't matter that we sold her to a family who didn't need those buttons installed, we got the money for the work that we put into her. It was BLOODY hard work!

I feel as though i'm writing an essay :eek: So i'll leave it at that.

Pretty sure I just went round in a big circle, and got nowhere. Oooops.

2. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

Very good advice :))

3. lorna_09

lorna_09 New Member

Well, he is up for sale now.
    By the looks of it, Shandeh is looking for an OTTB now.
    Good luck.:))

4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Shandeh, I just want to remind you of how you felt only a short while ago. Read the print in bold. How can you change your mind so quickly and so vastly? Do you think you have been a bit hasty? I do!

Deb

5. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Well thats just silly isn't it?? Seriously?? BTW not all TBs can jump or like to jump. OTTTB need time and lots of it.

Shandeh, from all of your posts IMO you are not nearly experienced enough to have a an OTTTB. I'd hate to see you get hurt or lose confidence. They are much more sensitive, if the saddle doesn't fit you could end up with a bucking bronco on your hands. Also, they cost alot of $$$$$$ to keep straight off the track. Chiro, gear, feed etc.

6. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Oh dear ';'

Surely you can find a sweet school master that's been there and done it all for lease and some older ones are very cheap. They still have plent to offer and you will be competing pretty much straight away.

7. lorna_09

lorna_09 New Member

"something young that I can train up
    OTTBs fine if quiet,
    I have some experience with green horses
    I will take a horse with issues
    I'm really looking for something free"

I am quoting the OP's ad here.
    Something tells me, we have not heard the final chapter of this.

I am out of here :))

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

omg.

You have only had 'the horse' Latte for what a year?
    During that time you have never had the money to simply remouth him nor get a saddle fitter out.
    He was out of work for many months and your mum rode him for most of the time due to your 'issues' with him.
    He has been back in 'work' for a couple of months?
    He has no established ridden work, in particular canter. He is a standy, this will take years at the best of times.
    You are giving up on him because he is not physically and mentally ready to jump two jumps in a row?????
    Too impatient to spent the time on him? (Which will actually not cost you money!)

You posted a video of your riding your pony which showed that you have absolutly NO concept of how to work a horse properly or simply understand forward.

I really dont care if he is for sale...happens all the time. Some horses are lucky to score a great home and others start that downward spiral of being passed from pillar to post.

But the OTTT???? LOLOL

Have we forgotton this so very soon???

http://www.stockyard.net/vbulletin/horse-racing/69130-hard.html

9. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Well...I agree, sell the poor horse, he is way too green for you Shandeh.

What you need is an experienced been there done that horse.

Watever you do, dont buy another green horse, in particular an OTTB!! You need to develop more feel, more seat, more knowledge for a green horse:}

10. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Sorry but I am going to echo the words of NG, Bec, Babe and Lorna. Shandeh, I have a TB who only trialled and came off the track in December last year and I wouldn't even sell him to you and I would put a higher price tag on him now as he has a reasonable amount of education but he is still VERY sensitive. He is a great horse but if you can't manage Latte, you will not manage a sensitive TB. 1 little thing out of place can set them off, bucking, rearing, bolting, anything. I have grown up with Stb's, they are MUCH easier than TB's.

11. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Well said NG. **)

Jeepers! Seriously? There are some very lovely school masters out there through word of mouth that you could lease and learn from. Or maybe save up for that school master.

You haven't given Latte enough time at all. You haven't been fair to him. How is supposed to jump a double if he can't walk, trot or canter balanced? I understand that you want to compete, have fun, go jumping etc etc but you can't do that on a green horse!! ';'

Find an experienced horse. Ask around.

12. sil

sil Gold Member

*backs back out of the thread, slowly...*

13. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Poor Latte :( Not too many homes out there for green stbreds with issues. Not too many GOOD homes out there for highly schooled stbreds either!

14. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

the poor horse prob doesnt have issues.... what it most likey has in an inexperienced rider.... who doesnt seem to understand. sure she can talk the talk but she doesnt really understand what it feels like or how to put it into practice. nor can she afford instuctiuon she needs to get here there.

go for a well educated older schoolie mate. do yourself a favour.

15. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Agree. Was using the term "issues" to depict an uneducated horse who may have picked up bad habits etc as aposed to one who has been correctly educated.

I wish you luck Shandeh. I dont think you have to give up on this horse, you just need to chill out and not take it so seriously until you can afford to do everything properly (and this will be the same for any horse you get). Until you can get his saddle fitted, instruction, etc etc why not just take the time to enjoy riding him without stressing about schooling him for the show ring or something. Bush rides, beach trips etc etc. That will build both your confidence and his, build balance in you both as well, and most importantly will build your relationship with him. It doesnt need to be all work work work, especially if you are going through a stressful and financially draining time such as moving. Riding is about having fun first and foremost!

Once you have the time/money/energy to get serious about riding/schooling, then you need to question where you want to go, where you are likely to realistically go, and whether Latte is the horse to do that with. But the more you do with him in the meanwhile, the better off he will be (either with you in terms of being ready to get serious, or regarding the possibility of him finding a GOOD home - remember stbreds are dime a dozen so he will be harder to find a good buyer for).

16. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

I have dealt with my fair share of OTTBS - and In particular Race Horses.. But I've only just scraped the surface of what our more experience stockies have dealt with.. and I could say right now.. You getting an OTTB.. Is a DISASTER. No other way to put it... And yet the poor OTTB, will be labelled, dangerous, and the bad reputation of them will continue yet it's people like YOU who give them this.. Goodluck having temper tantrums on a OTTB, you'll hit the floor before you even relise what's happened, and goodluck having a bad fitting saddle on one, and have fun confuse the shi&t out of it.. This really is a disaster, and I only prey that your mum has enough sense not to.

You need to get out of horses, and get lessons. and get back into it when you can afford it!

17. NOT TO MENTION BUYING ONE WITH A GOOD EDUCATION $$$$ THAT WILL NOT KILL YOU? CONSIDERING YOU STATED A WHILE BACK MONEY IS A PROBLEM?
    *smacks head*:confused:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  18. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*#)

19. opsnormal

opsnormal Active Member

a) For the love of god, please do not get a OTTB. It is an absolute disaster waiting to happen. (I can see the threads that would be posted now). No matter how experienced a rider you claim to be, there is no way that someone of your age and temprement are ready for it.

b) Why do you continue to post these sorts of threads? They end up locked and I'm guessing that you end up quite hurt by them. Really have a good think before you start a new thread about whether you want the honest answer, because around here, you are going to get it.

Just my thoughts.

20. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I think everyone has more than made their point - not much point in bullying Shandeh.

While I do agree with you all, I think someone needs to cut the kid a bit of slack!!

Shandeh - how about you sell Latte and DON'T get another horse, how about investing in a years worth of lessons on a school horse. And then get a horse at the end of it. That would be the most sensible thing to do, and not to mention the best financial move.

How much does Latte cost each week. Now how much would a lesson on a schoolie horse cost? You have so much to learn still, we all do. Why not learn it from someone who is experienced and qualified, and in the meantime you open up the doors down the track for a more suitable horse as you will be far more capable as a rider. Plus, if you are tight on money one week or one month, there is no shame in just not having lessons during that time, whereas if you are tight on money now - well mouths still need to be fed etc. Plus there won't be the added financial stress of having to get extras - saddle fitting, new bit, retraining etc.

In between lessons I'm sure you can still get your horsey fix from your mums horse.

Just remember horse riding is supposed to be FUN not a battle. Make it easy for yourself and enjoy becoming an experienced rider.

I honestly wished I had gotten more riding lessons as a kid - probably wouldn't have the amount of bad habits that I currently have,.