starting to get a bit of a frame happening...

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Shandeh, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

...now how do I consolidate this, get him working more consistently in a frame, & transfer it from trot to canter? Of course lots and lots of hours in the saddle riding with a consistent light contact and all that to increase his strength to enable him to hold the frame for longer. He's still quite unbalanced at canter.

BUT. How do I do all this without him getting too bored? He's a very smart horse and gets bored very easily. At the moment I have him working in a long and low frame because it will build his strength, and if I ask for anything higher he has a tendency to lean on my hands.

Anyway out of time, will add photos of how he's working later.

2. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

First try some transitions. Then more transitions. And when you've done that, why not extra transitions?! :p
    Lol, they will help you get his frame more consistent and also lighten up his front end as he will be having to engage his hindquarters.

3. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

In terms of consolidating the trot work without making it boring, something my instructor does with me and my horse is to ask for lots of changes within a pace. They can be changes in direction, changes from "collected" to working to long and low. One of the really good ones is to suddenly change out of a circle and go the other direction, keeps him on his toes and you can work on keeping the rhythm and tempo consistent during the change.

I've found that the best way to transfer good trot work into your canter is to practice really good transitions. A nice transition will set you up for an uphill canter. If you start your canter on the forehand and unbalanced, it is incredibly had for a green horse to be able to "correct" the canter. Always make your canters short and sweet - 1 to 2 20m circes is more than enough for a greenie, and as soon as you ask for a downward transition, he must work properly in the trot again.

Hopefully that helps a bit. They are both things which have made a big difference to my green horse and the way he travels.

4. magic_impact

snap Cadabby - in a nutshell - transitions!

5. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Don't forget the transitions !!!!!

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I am laughing at Shandeh cos I said .......... transitions lol.

7. TobanMokey736

TobanMokey736 Well-known Member

Transitions+Transitions+Transitions... then repeat. not just doing them for the ake ofthem though, but think about what you want out of every one, then make it happen :)

8. magic_impact

:D At least you got consistent answers Shandeh!

9. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

what they said ^^^ and lessons.

Just had a thought - why not try some video lessons? I'm sure there'd be plenty of people willing to help you out via video...

10. Shandeh

Thanks guys :) So I'm to convince Mum to get some new batteries for the video camera, am I? He doesn't work in a frame very much yet, I get the feeling he doesn't have the strength because he will hold it for a few strides and then his head comes up again. I figure he will keep trying to give me more of the frame if I praise him every single time he gives me a hint of roundness and softness. He is very motivated by praise.

Apologies for being so slow about getting the photos up. My computer's being slow and not letting me upload. I have one:
    [​IMG]

Please excuse how my position looks. I'm working on it :)

ETA: Oh and don't mind the lack of saddle pad. I was going without to check if the sweat patches are even without one, because with one, they're not.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  11. lex

lex Well-known Member

how long have you started to ask for this kind of frame? give the guy some time, these things dont happen over night. Took months of training till my horse could carry himself no probs, dont rush just give him time and it will happen.

12. Shandeh

Yeah this has only been happening for like, a few days, but apparently he did know 'round' before we got him. He had a long spell from any serious work though, nearly a year, & I've only been actually working him hard in the past maybe month or 2. That's why I'm thinking it's a strength thing. More of the same should help him, right? & of course lots of transitions.

13. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Looking good K :)

14. Shandeh

Thanks :) he only goes like that for a few strides at a time at the moment but more will come with time and strength.

ETA: more photos :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think he was leaning on my hands in this one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  15. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Thats funny Caddaby I remember saying the same thing to you earlier this week!

16. Shandeh

Anyway so is he working properly long and low (apart from the on the forehand business, transitions will stop that - he did used to work nice and uphill) or is there something I need to address? He doesn't have to be a perfect dressage horse or show horse or that sort, I'm more thinking anything that will make jumping more difficult for him in the future.

Also... Balance. How do I improve that? In him, not me *#)

17. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I always seem to be able to apply what I know to other people's problems!!

18. sil

sil Gold Member

I think you need to get him up off your hands too, long and low is good but it shouldn't be all your workout!

19. pso

pso Gold Member

looks ready for western pleasure! well done!

The first thing I notice..
    saddle doesnt fit...too narrow in the gullet maybe? The back of the saddle is coming up off his back about 5 cm every time you rise...hard for the horse to stay round when the saddle is banging on his back every stride ;)
    This in turn is affecting saddle balance- which is making you sit on the back of the saddle, not the middle...
    stirrups look a little short too?

20. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

OK - I will stick my kneck out !!
    For Gods sake get him of the fore !! His hind legs are a mile out and what you are riding is not long and low !!! The position in the pics shows him stretching a little which is great for a work finished reward but of no value for his training. This horse looks stiff through his body and his hind end is not connected !!
    If you want to jump or do dressage you have to put him together or you will spend years going round in circles for nothing !!
    You need transitions including walk/canter and rein backs to make this horse soft - At least 50 per session !!!