Stallion Suggestions..

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Georgia12, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Georgia12

Georgia12 New Member

I have a 16.2 hh thoroughbred x warmblood mare.I will be putting her in foal towards the end of year. I am interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on who you would cross her to and why? Will be breeding to a warmblood and would rather do Live Cover as she is a maiden.I am in NSW and don't particularly want to travel interstate.The foal will be kept,and used for showing and dressage.

Mares strengths are:
    Beautiful movement,very nice to ride,great temperament,nice straight legs,good length of neck,not to short or long in the back,nice wither with good sloping shoulders.
    Weakness is :
    Neck is a little low set but will come good when in correct work,does have a bit of a 'jumpers bum' but she is not weak in the hindquarter otherwise I would not be breeding from her having said that I would like the stallion to be nice and powerful in his hindquarters.
    Any suggestions are appreciated :)

2. kp

kp Well-known Member

Why limit yourself to live cover? It will limit what stallions you can use.

3. Georgia12

Georgia12 New Member

I believe that's a mares first foal should be conceived by Live Cover,and it is less hassle then with AI.

4. kp

kp Well-known Member

Bred lots and lots of mares. Been many many years since I've used live cover. With a good repro vet I find AI to be less traumatic to the mares, unless of course you can find an exceptionally well mannered stallion. Your best bet would be to hunt around for a stallion you like and ask if the stud offers live cover. Unfortunately most well known competition stallions are only available via AI. Have you got a discipline you want to compete in? Or a maximum distance to travel to take the mare to the stallion.

5. Georgia12

Georgia12 New Member

I will consider AI if the stallion is what I am looking for and compliments my mares weaknesses. Dressage and showing are the disciplines I will be competing the foal in.

6. kp

kp Well-known Member

Have you got a budget? Some nice stallions in NSW that fit the bill. Regardez Moi, Bellario spring to mind.

7. Georgia12

Georgia12 New Member

Willing to pay whatever for stud fee as long as it's worth it, I have heard that the market is flooded with Regardez Moi? I would go with Fishermen's friend in a heart beat even though he was in QLD but unfortunately he has passed away.

8. kp

kp Well-known Member

There are a couple over here. Nice horses. Regardez Moi is live cover only, which really limits foals on the ground. I can't comment on the market in NSW, but he is a stallion I would consider. Very good pedigree, very good performance record, very good progeny, the fact he is still competing GP at 19 proves very good soundness. I would think there would be a whole lot more Jive Magics around.

9. Georgia12

Georgia12 New Member

Will look into RM,any other warmblood stallions that come to mind?

10. kp

kp Well-known Member

I like what Bellario puts on the ground. They are nice types, with very good temperaments. Royal Oak II throws a nice type, some are a little tricky as young horses though. There are so mnay well bred, well credentialed stallions around though. There will be plenty that fit the bill for what you want.

11. Georgia12

Georgia12 New Member

Thoughts on Revelwood studs stallions 00 seven,Riverside,smash hit,ferro rocher and stedinger ?

12. kp

kp Well-known Member

All well credentialed. 007 is very nice, has a good record and produced well already. I've have heard mixed reviews with Ferero Rocher. Stedinger and Smash Hit look like very modern types.

Have a think about the Bluefields stallions also. Bluefields Berlin looks super nice, his foal have done very well at the stud book assessments. I am also a fan Bluefields Floreno, however have come across some of his progeny with a big question over soundness.

13. EVP

EVP Gold Member

If you want the best then don't limit yourself to live cover only.
    AI, or even frozen semen could open up more opportunities for both competiton success and sale market.

I have never heard that a maiden mare is better having live cover vs artificial insemination. In fact I would have thought the opposite. Less invasive, less scary for the mare and the owner can influence the timing with AI.

But whatever you decide will be entirely up to you. I have always believed that picking a stallion should start with progeny success from mares that have a similiar (top, bottom or both) breeding to yours. Studbook records should have that info.
    A breeders best tool (first one anyway) for success is research.**)