'sport horse'

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by chick_with_a_chainsaw, Oct 19, 2009.

1. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Yes but there is some contention over that now.
    And its not a warmblood x if it is crossed with a TB it's just a warmblood.

2. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

TBPA, that is only if the Thoroughbred has been classified.

3. Crusader

Crusader Well-known Member

What is involved in classifing?

4. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

spot on painter! my boy is a draugh x wb/tb = irish sport horse **)**)

5. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

LOl funny thread, people often ask me if my TB is a warmblood coz he actually has a bum :) and mum had a TB mare that everyone thought was QH coz she was really muscled up, its all quite insestial now with all the breeds, hehe it like a cross between a QH & TB was always known as a first cross QH but now they can be registered as QH? so that is i guess where u get all this massive QH's from? well maybe i have no idea really. LOL I think ill stick with the TB's at least then i know what breed they are (hehe well most of the time)

6. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

my pony filly is a registered Connemarra Sporthorse. The term sport horse is very loosely used, and my Stock Horse (who is actually a stockhorse *#)) is far more sport horse type than Sienna is. However she was bred to be an allrounder, and I do believe she could succeed in anything BUT she's only little (14.2h) so don't know how she could ever be a high level competition horse.

I guess it depends which sport you are breeding for...

I think Tilda's boy Mav is the perfect example of what a Sport Horse is trying to define, very similair in conformation to my ASH, just a little smaller.

7. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Bon don't forget Theodore O'Connor(14.1hh 4* eventer) and Stroller(14 something first horse to win Hickstead Derby on a clear round) fine examples of what a 'sport pony' can do.
    There have been quite a few examples of super jumpers who have been more ponies than horses you don't need to be huge to jump big just have a big heart and a small rider.

8. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

naww thanks bon & ted :)

9. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

Definatly! I was so looking forward to seeing theodore O'connor at the olympics #( a loss of an awesome pony with a huge heart.

10. cavalletti

cavalletti Active Member

i was told a sport horse is purpose bred tbred for olympic discplinces, ie. never trialed or trained in acing at all. but all those definiatioons are close, i guess. :)

11. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

hmmmmmm ... Well I know she can jump .... it's just convincing her owner to do the same *#) who wants to campaign one naughty yellow pony in a few years ....*#):D

No worries Tilda, he is a lovely boy. Love the big greys (although I am biased!)

12. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I just have to clear this up, yes the cross between a TB and QH can be registered however it is still called a first cross, and is only registered in the 'appendix' register and receives only an A number, not a Q number which is what purebreds get.

13. Yes like our Cleveland Bay Sporthorses, typically 25% CB or %50% CB crossed with t/bred - traditionally - to make good eventers / showjumpers etc

Many of the Irish Sport Horses - if you look back in the pedigrees - have Cleveland Bays in them

There are many great CB Sporthorses campaigning at the top levels, particularly overseas. I have two CB Sporthorses, one just foaled who is related to this awesome one Tregoyd Sportsman - last comp finished on dsg penalties of 34! http://www.tregoyd-cleveland-horses.com/News.htm