'sport horse'

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by chick_with_a_chainsaw, Oct 19, 2009.

1. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

at the breed show on sunday the judge asked me what breed skye was and i said first x qh.

judge commented that she has a nice sport horse build.
    ive heard the term but

what
    defines a horse as a 'sport horse'?

thanks in advance
    pics if you have them. of you 'sport horse'

heres skye:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

A sporthorse is usually a horse bred to compete/or is suitable for the Olympic disciplines. Dressage, Cross Country and Showjumping. Although their are a few different societies who include "sporthorses" in their appendix/foundation stock, where it is just a name and not really a specific type (like WAPA):)*.

3. chick_with_a_chainsaw

thanks goodie

i just had no idea what the judgement.

so basically conformationally wise a 'sport horse' should have good structure so that it can jump and dressage etc

well i know the little horrors a good jumper*#)

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

An athletic horse of a versatile type.

Bear has been judged 1st in his class for Sport Horse conformation :D
    [​IMG]

5. chick_with_a_chainsaw

oh ok so what do you guys think of skye then?

not very sport horse type breeds though arab and qh lol

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

You dag Sarah!!
    Arabs: endurance, hacking, jumping, dressage = versatility (+ multiple x-breeds for versatility)
    QH's: racing, cutting, stockwork, jumping, dressage, barrel racing = versatility (+multiple x-breeds for versatility)

So they both are sport horse types.

That pic of Skye is not the most appealing for showing of her type though :p She looks all sleepy pony lol

7. chick_with_a_chainsaw

i ment olympic event wise rather than western and endurance wise.

yer the sleepy one is us trying to get her to look nice so we can see her dapples :)

the show ones her actually standing still for once lol

8. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

well maverick is an irish sport horse (but a small one at that he's only 16h) whersas paraiso's boy is also an ISH has a very similar build but taller than mav ;)
    ISH's are getting very popular now, at last years olympics the highest % of horses competing were the irish sport horses **)**)

sport horse is just a term for a very athletic built horse,meant to excel in olympic dicplines however i find the term is getting thrown around more loosely now with every second horse being an australian sport horse and also registered tb or stockhorse ;)

personally i think skye will make a great allrounder shes a very pretty girl :)

9. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

CWAC, what I said was Show Horse :p I was surprised when you said she was cross QH! If I was you I would be plaiting and presenting her as a show horse. The reason I asked was because you had her presented in Western so I guessed she must have QH in her that way but while showing her Unreg I would plait and present her as a show horse as she is a rather pretty girl :) Hope that helps clear the confusion :eek:

10. Nanna

Nanna Well-known Member

For anyone that is interested

If you google Sport Horse Australia
    Click in ISSA and have a read
    There is a register for this breed / type
    Perhaps it gives some people without registration somewhere to go - and others a 2nd choice?

Anyway go and have a read - there is criteria that has to be matched of course

Your olympic disciplines are Dressage, Jumping and Eventing

11. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

Shes not dissimilar to Lucy (connemara x) - here are some pics of how i presented her so you can get some ideas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Perfect Himitsu! That is how I would turn her out CWAC as they are very similar :)

13. chick_with_a_chainsaw

oops my mistake sorry was partially deaf because she was bellowing in my ear all day.

im going to get her registered as soon as i move so decided to show her western (badly haha mind you)

thanks for clearing that up i learnt something new anyway about sport horses :)

14. painter

painter Well-known Member

Me too, I thought 'Sporthorse' meant that it was a TB cross with something/anything else, I have no idea where I got that notion from. Were Irish Sport horses originally developed from draught/TB crosses?

Curiousity will kill me oneday....I'm off to google;)

15. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Ditto.. every X horse seems to be a "sport" horse now LOL

16. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

yerh and every x seems to be 'WB' now days too...

17. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

there are a few australian SportHorse registries:
    ISSA
    Welcome to The ACE Group
    I think there are more... If she is under 14.2 she could qualify for Sports Pony Registry:
    Home

The registration is less about breed and more about ability, or potential ability based on conformation - and in most cases (if not all) they must pass a classification.

18. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

I agree! I really dont understand how a horse with no warmblood breeding can be shown as a warmblood? I dont get it :(

19. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Oh come on ladies everyone knows the reasons everything has to have a brand name these day and why should horses be any different? Athletic Mongrel or OTTB doesn't quite hve the same ring as sport horse now does it?
    And yes well a lot of clydieX/chunky mongrels do get rebadged warmbloods. Nothing wrong with a good mongrel though sometimes the marketing is a bit miss leading.

20. Crusader

Crusader Well-known Member

isn't a 'warmblood' classified as a cross between a cold blooded (eg clydie) & hot blooded (eg TB or arab). And isn't that how the 'warmblood' breeds (eg hanovarian) were created?

Might be totally wrong?