Spelling - to rug or not to rug?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Late Starter, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

Cecil is going out on spell on Sunday until end of Jan down at Harvey. First pony, first time we've had to put out on spell. Just wondering what others do as far as rugging? We've had him in a cotton/mesh combo since it started warming up and he is clipped. Just wondering whether I should leave the rug off him so he can go 'au natural' as he loves to roll but concerned he might get cold or the flies might bother him. He will be supervised.

What do you do when your horses are on spell?

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

My personal view of spelling is to let them go feral and all natural :) but I give them a hand in winter when its obvious their cold!
    Only 1 of my horses are rugged at the moment and the rest are hairy and feral and extremely happy!

3. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

if he's on a farm down south, the flies will probably not be that bad - my horse is on retirement in serpy and after coming from biting fly infested wanneroo - to the odd bush fly in serpy, there was no need to fly rug.

i might keep a fly mask on tho.

so yeah, leave the rug off. if the flies bother him, he'll be in a big paddock (right?) and can get away from them. was he FRESHLY clipped at the start of summer?
    otherwise, i wouldn't worry about him getting cold either. it's summer. it's a little chilly at night ATM but that will pass pretty quick. it's going to be 36deg on christmas day!

4. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I'd just make sure he's got his flyveil on and leave it at that, he will be a much happier pony for it :) I wouldn't be leaving a mesh rug on anyway, on the really hot days the plastic mesh get's really really hot..

Leaving them unrugged/unwashed etc can do wonders for their coat as your not rubbing out or washing out the natural oils in their skin. You'll probably get one shiny happy pony when he comes back. **)

5. 3ponies

3ponies Well-known Member

Rugs off.

I wouldn't leave a horse rugged where they aren't being checked everyday.

6. madcow

madcow Guest

Is your pony a show pony?

If so I'd spell him in his cottons. His coat will bleach and he'll get eaten by insects etc. It'll be hard to bring him back into show condition esp if he's going under lights and won't change his coat.

Also is the paddock a group paddcock where the other horses are likely to rip his rugs. Is it closely supervised or will he be roaming over 100 acres and just glanced at occasionally. If it's abig feral herd situation he might be better with nothing on?

Just a few things to consider.

7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I always spell minus rugs & i have show horses.
    Also i dont like to leave flymasks on (or halters etc), i remove my flymasks at night & whilst spelling, i cant go out the farm everynight & do that.
    My horses stand head to bum anyway & swish the flies away.

I have 14 horses spelling atm, lol, & only have 1 Arab Pony & 5 Mini's being brought back in middle/end of Jan to start show prep again.

8. Showie

Showie Active Member

I had a really scarey exprience with rugs on in the paddock last Sunday. I went to check on the boys at dads block and Will decided to go fanging across the paddock when I left bucking like mad. We had put rugs on the day before as it was freezing, anyway dont know what happend but all of a sudden his rug was slipping, slipping, slipping until it was haning in front of him. He was by this time beside himself and galloping though a mob of cattle who where in turn beside themselves (Im so glad Dad didnt see it!) All I could think was 'hes going to snap a leg' - thankfully the rug was old and when he did step on it it broke and fell off. I managed to stop him, he was shaking and terrified but luckily in one peice - needless to say he is now naked till him comes back in! They only get checked every couple of days and its just not worth it.

9. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Ditto to everything Kylie said :)*

10. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Mine is on spell atm too :) he is sans rugs, as if I can't be there to check them twice a day and make sure they haven't slipped or got grass seeds in them etc then I don't want them on at all, could do more harm than good.

He doesn't have a fly mask on either, he only pulls them off unless they are gaffer taped on (literally! lol) and they need to come off at night time so as not to reduce visibility and run into a fence whilst having the midnight sillies!

He is checked up on and fed every day by the property owner, I won't spell anywhere that they don't have supervision and access to vets and farrier :) .

In winter I don't spell, but if for some reason they have to be out 24/7 then I will put one rug on, usually a Landa, and then switch over to a Landa lite when it warms up a bit, or whatever I am able to do myself and arrange with the owner of the property.

11. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

rugs off, i put my horses out in winter with no rugs, jayke also went from rugged to unrugged, from swan valley to margaret river 4ish months ago and he was fine.

flies are kinda bad down here, but nothing compared to what i was usto in wanneroo.

id say unrug and let go feral

chelsea hasnt been rugged in 2ish years and she has coped really well and has a great coat

12. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

Rugs off for me too!

My fella is currently out on spell and has been for 4 weeks already, he has no rugs on or fly veil either! He is a super expensive peice of animal but they need a break and that means from everything!

13. pso

pso Gold Member

My baby, who is the only one that gets 'spelled' (only cos hes not old enough to start work!)...gets a rug on...but only cos he stresses with the flies, and drops weight...otherwise, leave them off, let him be a horse!:)

14. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I think the same pso, let him be a horse and without a rug. :)
    But if he looses weight because of flys, put one on but have somebody to check on him, because legstraps can come undone etc.

15. Ltd Edition Madcow

Ltd Edition Madcow Well-known Member

There are also different types of spelling so depends on the circumstances.

There's racehorse type spelling which often consists of an acre or 2 paddock fully reticked and 2 feeds a day with constant supervision right down to chucking em out on a few hundred acres in a herd and being checked on once a week.

16. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

In a herd situation the rug will be most likely be eaten and cause probs. :)

17. pso

pso Gold Member

Mines in a herd...only 50 acres tho! But I go out every day or two to check his fly veil and rug and boots..:) Its a nice drive...knew daylight savings would be good for something!

18. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

Thanks, I'll leave his rug off then. As you say he'll be in a paddock (not sure what size) with other ponies and although he'll be checked daily I don't want him getting into trouble having it on. He's hopeless at keeping flyveils on so I'm not going to bother with that either. Hopefully the flies won't be too bad but I guess he'll cope; I'll just leave instructions and contact details in case they notice anything they can phone me.

19. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Mine is at an $80 a week racehorse/broodie spelling place, it is lovely, he is fed and checked everyday, he is on his own because he is a big fat bully and he got put in isolation *#) :D he is not great with other horses, he likes to be on his own ... he is a funny little fellow! But he is still naked, because I am an anxious creature and if I can't check everything and fluff about myself then I would rather he was naked! He enjoys being a filthy grumpy bloke for a while ;) *#) :))

20. Remaani

Remaani Guest

My "spelling" for my neddies is out in a paddock & minimal handfeeding, no rugs, no special treatment.

My stallion, 2 of his mares & Ali's gelding are on very rocky/hilly 30 acres atm, with good feed.
    Very very shortly they will have either 700 acres to roam on crop stubble, or somewhere over 1000 acres, depends what other paddock gates are kept open & they will run with a mob of sheep.
    Dont need any type of hand feeding out there!! :)*

But i got Tares, Sass & 5 mini's spelling on 9 acres at home, minimal stubble next door, again no rugs, no special treatment except a mineral block & hay once a day (as not much feed here now).

Hope is having a play mate come over & they'll be paddocked together with a hay roll, the 2 mini stallions spelling but in a paddock each with now just hay.

No rugs, no paddock boots, no flymasks, no halters, just the way nature intented, lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007