Speedibeet.....

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Talkingshell, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Just thought I would pop in and say, with the Speedibeet as I only just started feeding Fox for the last two weeks.

He would just mow me down for it, he expects me that he wants his Speedibeet in his feed. I do the 10 mins thing at home then bring it in bucket to the private agistment, Fox would practically chase other horses away from it, saying it's all his!

I started just 1 cup for a week then now he's on 2 cups dry..but swells up heaps...might add 1 more cup in week 3.

I am starting to see the difference in Fox. Will take a photo when the month of feeding is up. All I am grateful that Fox is still with me, he's 27.

Do you keep the water that was sitting in the Speedibeet or drain it out, just wanted to know what you all do?

I am going to buy the Fibre-beet when this one runs out. I am looking ways to save my $$$ as Fox is a horse that I need to feed him heaps where Cullen only requires less than 300grams of Compleat Feed. As my $$$ is running out big time, so I must look for a job soon to support my horses.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

isnt speedibeet great! i feed it to my 3... ( 11 yr old, 16 yr old n 1yr old ) they get 700gm dry b4 i soak it between them. they get the water n all i saw someone post they put some in full bucket of water in this hot weather and their ponies loved it!
    look forward to pics!

3. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I have started feeding the fibre-beet after having fed speedi-beat. Horses werent too sure at first but are now eating it. Must taste different to speedi-beet.

4. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

I will keep that in my mind when I change over to Fibre-Beet when the Speedi-Beet runs out.

Could not believe how my old boy mows me down for it, and will not let others eat his feed, even he attacked Cullen tonight because he tried to get into his stable to steal his feed.

5. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Yeah I told them to eat it or starve. They went off and ate their hay and they came back and finished it off later lol.

6. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

I feed it to all mine, and the sloppier the better. They love it. I too am going to try the fibrebeet and will be starting it soon, i have the bag waiting to go and will slowly mix it in with the speedi-beet to swap them over.
    It is a very good way of rehydrating the ponies as well, so good for the hot days to keep the fluid up to them.

I soak mine for 15 mins, (the fibre-beet needs longer dont forget).:D

7. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I used to feed the speedibeet to one of my horses and I learned how to judge just how much water to add to let it blow up and be all crumbly, but not too sloppy. I fed the water as it was all soaked in. If you've got so much water that you could tip it out then I think you could use less water so that by the time you go to feed it out its all soaked in....does that make sense???:confused:

I gradually built up to about an icecream container (dry) and she scoffed it all down.

Good luck with Fox...such a cool name!**)

8. Sam & Max

Sam & Max Well-known Member

Mine gets 1 full cup speedibeet soaked in just under 5lt of water then mixed into his feed......are you guys feeding it as a drink/slop or in their feed?

Just wonderinf why you are all changing to fibrebeet? I asked the guy at my stockfeeders the other day if he had it so i could compare...He said its from same company/ manufacturer and mostly the same......So whats the difference......Why change something thats not broken? And its more expensive...

So is there a difference and why the change? just curious :)

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Try feeding more hay as that is the best and cheapest weight lifter! Even lucerne hay is the next best thing.:)*

Coolstance Copra (1/2 -1kg daily dry weight) is also a good cheap option along with extra hay if you dont want to use grain. Soak it for 5 -10 mins in 3 times the volume of water first to make a nice slurry feed.:D:))

10. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

the new fibre beet is just lucerne and speedibeet

11. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Isn't fiberbeet alfalfa and speedibeet? Not lucerne.

With the speedibeet, there was a concern that there is sand in the product, and people seeing it in the bucket after soaking, and in the bottom of the bag.
    I've always been wary of feeding it.
    Not that i'm desperate to feed it, but if it was ok, would just be another option.
    So just wondering if this has been resolved yet? Or what the word was from the company about it? If in fact there was any.

Just wondering, because if there still is some sand in it, wouldn't it be better to put more water than is needed when soaking, and let the sand sink to the bottom and throw the water out? Or maybe even rinse it once it's soaked?

12. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I have never seen sand in it and I doubt such a reputable British company, which they are, would allow sand in their products. British olympic riders feed it to their horses lol.

Alfafa is another name for lucerne most commonly used by this name in the UK and USA.

13. Cornflower

I'm not attacking the company, i'm just repeating what has been said. And also, when it first came out, i read such comments on here.

The reasons given was that it is a root vegetable grown in the ground, and therefore may have some soil in it.

14. simbin

simbin Gold Member

The product undergoes really strict testing. I have checked it out ;) and I for one would never give my horses anything with sand in it.

Have been feeding it on and off for a few years and have never seen sand in it.

15. Sam & Max

Sam & Max Well-known Member

Never ever seen sand in mine either

16. Gemgem

Gemgem Well-known Member

I'm quite sure that the 'sand' was tested and ended up being not sand? I'll see if I can find the post. I've never seen sand personally and we've used it for over 2 years. Love the stuff. Everytime I look in the feeding forum there always seems to be a thread on speedibeet haha. I also thought alfalfa was another name for lucerne, well thats what my pommy mates say.

17. Gemgem

Gemgem Well-known Member

Found it! Took me a while tho, so inconvenient that you cant search users posts!

18. Cornflower

Thanks Gem :)) Exactly what i was refering to.

I did buy a bag ages ago, sometime last year when i was having issues putting weight on my horse, and it did nothing for him. Maybe i didn't feed enough, but he was getting a fair amount AM and PM.
    Problem solvered since then.
    And I was toying with the idea of giving it another go now, replacing my oaten chaff with it, but honestly, I dunno, i'm happy using the chaff. The only reason i would do it is if it would save me money. So might have to get the calculator out.

For those that do feed it, if anyone feeds it instead of oaten chaff, can you please let me know how much you feed (wet) and how long a bag lasts for 1 horse?
    I would be adding my own lucerne chaff.

19. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

I feed speedi beet, and im quite sure its sand in the botten of the bucket, like Cornflower said it is a root vegatable. So i always drain mine and if you do there is always sand in the botten of it.
    Either as some of you are saying its not sand id still be wary and drain it just to be on the safe side! :)

20. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

HI i went searching and found the site for speedibeet and the fibrebeet

British Horse Feeds

and yeap lucerne is alfalfa or viceversa i used to have a giggle when my friends would serve up alfalfa sprouts for salads hehehehe