Speedi Beet - few questions...

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Bon & Ted, Aug 6, 2008.

1. kathyve

kathyve Active Member

The produce in which the sample was delivery (thanks greatly appreciated) stated that this product should be strained and then re-strained as it holds sand. Additionally it was stated that it should not given to horses that are prone to Colic. Any opinions.....

2. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

A bit of a worry sand wise, definately counts me out. Had colic ( non sand dramas ) very recently. Not willing to take the chance.

3. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

The CoolBeet I think it is (mixture of copra and beet) is pellet/nuggets that have to be soaked longer.
    Cheers

Danni

4. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I just bought a bag of Speedibeet from NG for $42.70. Phew xpensive. Where do you buy it cheaper?

p.s NG are under new management as of yesterday incase you didn't already know.

5. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

ok so it turns out my mare dosent have cushings but is IR so speedibeet seems the way to go, she is the best doer on the planet and puts weight on thinking about food which is not good for her so I need to fill her belly without the fat and sugar.
    currently she gets 0.5kg horse pellets soaked and drained, equlibrium minerals and 1/2 bucket shandy chaff for dinner and 1 small biscuit meadow hay for breakfast.
    she went on the diet after vets advice and lost a whopping 90kg not that she looked any different but now coming back into light work she has added another 40kg and two holes in the girth so if I were to feed this product what would be the best guess at the amount, I am really baffelled, and over the past 18 yrs have tryed every feed with little success at keeping her weight down, I really need some help.
    She only grazes for 4-5 hrs on an almost bare paddock so what ever she gets in her feed is the majority of her dietry requirements

6. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

I'm quite sure the manufacturers and the importing company would be very unimpressed to hear that a stockfeed store is making comments that are untrue about a feed product.
    I have fed speedi beet since it was first brought into WA and was in fact one of the first people to use it here.
    I have fed it with out any issues to ponies that have previously had colic and have actually not had any colic cases since using it with any pony on the feed.
    I have had colic cases with ponies out in the paddock on no hard feed at all though except hay and have treated them and brought them back into the stables and put them on speedi beet with no issues at all.
    I will to set everyones minds at rest on the sand issue try and find the official letter from the company that addressed this issue in depth and reprint it here.
    If I can't find the original letter I will contact the manufacturers and ask for their input and official veiw on sand in the product as well as trying to get a comment from Dr J Kohnke also.

7. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

yes Marianne...this is a era that has come to an end :( they had the best crushed grains !

wishing them all the very best

Cheers
    Lee

8. Allstock Stores

Allstock Stores New Member

As Arylin said previously, Speedibeet is a root vegetable and will always have a small amount of grit in it. There is not nearly enough of this grit to cause any problems stemming from the use of it.

The product goes through a rigorous quality control process to ensure that any impurities are kept to an absolute minimum & there has been no reports of any problems stemming from Speedibeet thus far.

Speedibeet's tick of approval from the Laminitis Foundation is testament to it's quality along with the kudos given to it by Dr John Kohnke.

CoolBeet is a pelletised mix of sugar beet & Copra. Speedibeet is much higher in the level of digestible fibre from my learnings.

9. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

We use speedibeet and have not had a problem with it at all and have two ponies on it who have foundered in the past............best thing ever,we dont strain it.

10. kathyve

kathyve Active Member