Speedi Beet - few questions...

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Bon & Ted, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I am using 2 scoops dry, makes about 15 lts wet, the bag last me 3 -4 weeks, great stuff.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl Well-known Member

I'm thinking about giving this a go with Till's, roughly how much is a bag? are they 40kg bags?

3. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I paid $48 for them here and Antartica, but I believe you can get them for under $40.00 per bag in and arounf Perth.

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl Well-known Member

Lol, Antartica. Thanks Sharaway :)

5. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

My Allstock supplier quoted me just over $44 for a 20 kilo bag. Seems very expensive.

I actually didn't buy it for that reason, hence the question on how long it lasts..

6. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

Its actually very cost effective as you dont use much at all as it soaks to triple plus its volume.

Here we pay around 38 per bag.

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

RPS it depends on how much you want to feed, it is amazing on how much it expands!! I was blown away when I first used it.

My horses have been on it for a couple of weeks now and they love it, they are really tucking into their dinner, they weren't keen at all at first but now gobble their dinner down **) . My almost yearling is licking her bowl clean, little piggy that she is *#)

For 1 horse in work it should easily last you 4 weeks, depending on how much you feed.

I am feeding about 5 cups between 2 horses a day DRY, this expands to the size of a white bucket (can't remember the litres *#) ) after the water has been drained off. **)

8. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

The price I was quoted was perth metro area. Guess it pays to shop around I will do some checking !

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

In ration formulation, just be careful that you only take into consideration the DRY weight you are feeding of this product.

If you feed 2kg soaked, you are only actually feeding around 0.5kg. So if your 500kg horse requires 12kg of food daily, then you will still have to supply a further 11.5kg via hay, chaff, and grain etc, if you hardfeed.

Some people end up not feeding their horses enough bulk, as water does not contribute to the overall feed intake.

10. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

It seems like it would actually work out quite expensive based on weight of the bag versus the amount required daily, irrespective of being supplemented with chaff etc.

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Thanks Caroline....I was wondering how you could make a 20kg bag last 3-4 weeks....

Which doesnt seem to be feeding very much at all bulk wise.

12. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I use it to bulk out my hard feed on my mare that is getting to fat and I have cut out her other grain/pellets so she still feels like she is getting the same amount to eat, and I use it to give extra bulk to my other horse.

I dont use it as a main feed source or bulk source, its additional to hay etc.

Means I use far less chaff, which works out to save me money over all.

13. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

The recommended daily intake is rather large once soaked, hence why I feed alot less, my horses would explode on that amount lol and I would have to add extra chaff etc just to mix it all in. So they just get more roughage.

I am gradually adding more and more as I'm getting them used to their brand new diet before I start feeding closer to what they should be getting.

I am feeding it for it's nutritional value, and the fact it is low in sugar and NSC's etc, compared with pellets etc it is far better for the horse.

Anything endorsed by John Kohnke and with the Laminitis tick of approval must be good **)

14. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Good ol' hay is still the cheapest bulk roughage out there, and its more natural for them too!:)*

I can see that the product is still good to use for oldies, lami's, IR, cushings, endurance, poor doers etc.:))

But the price puts a lot of owners off!#(

15. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Caroline, I hear you and agree, but since adding this to Tayla's feed, she has come on brilliantly, she gets all the hay she can eat.

It has made a noticable differance, I have no idea why, I took her of the pellets and put her on this and she has not looked back since, where I was fighting to put weight on a previously "good doer" I am now talking about cutting her back a bit.

We have a mix at the moment that is working for my one and only "special needs" horse lol.

So I wont knock it back as an idea to try for others either.

16. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

yup exactly caroline **)

Gosh my horses would look preggers if I fed the required dry amount. I generally have trouble keeping weight off the boy

It has higher nutritional value etc than plain ol hay though. It's my alternative to things like pellets :D

I don't mind the price, it lasts alot longer than pellets, and is far better for them and is definitely alot more digestible than grain.

It does remind me of paper mache some how though *#)

17. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

can you get normal beet? i have only ever seen the speedi beet but not the 'soak for 24 hours' beet.

18. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

as far as I know speedi beet is the only beet pulp product on the market in Australia. I could be wrong though.

Why would you want something you have to soak for 24 hours over something you soak for 10 mins? lol *#)

19. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

because i would imagine it wouldn't need the same amount of processing and therefore would be cheaper!

20. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

The old girl (20 y/o TB) I am leasing gets Speedi Beat, it's great stuff. I like mixing it up with 2 parts hot water to one part cold water, makes a nice warm feed. Doesn't look very appealing but it's nice warm and mixed through with chaff.