Speedi Beet - few questions...

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Bon & Ted, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I have just started feeding Speedi Beet to my horses. Ted - 15.3hh TB very good doer, but currently light on as he has just come off spell, will be brought back into work in the next week. Darcy - Conny X Arab, currently at 12.1hh, 10 month old, certainly does ok for herself *#) .

Everywhere I have found says to feed 1.5 kgs dry Speedi Beet...that would make absolute bucket loads soaked :eek: I can't believe how much it expands!!

How long can you soak it for? The bag says 10 minutes, but can I leave it for longer...say overnight?
    Do your horses like it? If not what did you use to disguise the taste. I have sniffed it and it smells bland and feels like paper mache lol. I certainly wouldn't eat it *#) . I don't want to disguise the taste with sugarry stuff ie. molasses because that really defies the purpose of speedi beet.

I have fed it 2 nights in a row and both nights Ted has had a pick through it but left it for the delicious grass lol. I'm starting to think that I should stop hard feeding until they are over the different grass/oaten hay...

Oh and I am feeding it with lucerne, copra, BOSS, Advantage and FFS (for the filly only). I haven't yet worked out weights because they only came home Sunday night...

Cheers

Bonnie

2. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Ok when I was feeding it they were getting about an icrecream container after it had been soaked. Doesnt need to be soaked for long. I would be using it instead of copra as you are basically wasting your money as both feeds are doing exactly the same. I have always fed one or the other. You wouldnt need to feed 1.5kg that would be the amount to feed if your horses werent getting any other grains or feed. When I fed it they were getting chaff, speedibeat, soaked lupins and one of my tb's put on the most amazing amount of weight. We had to cut down on the lupins. All the horses I have known on speedibeat have gotten use to the taste very quickly. I must say though they didnt have access to a lot of green feed.

3. madison

madison Well-known Member

Hi, I'm feeding it to my 10.2hh pony who hasn't got many teeth and he can only manage 3 cups dry before I swell it because it just makes too much bulk for him. I feed it with 200grms of fine cut Lucerne chaff, 700grms of Grower and Weaners and his bits and pieces and he seems to be doing well.

4. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

I feed my 16.2 hh TB 2.5 cups per feed, and he gets fed twice a day. He is in full work, with quite a bit of fitness work. I wouldn't change his feed for anything, and we have a few horses at the agistment centre that have changed onto it and having great results. Traditionally, sugarbeet is soaked for 12 to 24 hours and comes in a cube form, similar to pony cube size. Speedibeet has been altered so that it can be prepared quicker (hence the name), although I would prepare donny's speedibeet in the evening for his morning feed when I had to do it myself.

5. rimes

rimes Well-known Member

I have just finished my first bag of speedi-beet and love it. I am feeding it to mare 30yr old mare and she has put on weight.

I feed her 2 scoops of Gumnuts
    2 x 4ltr icecream container of white chaff
    1 x 4ltr of lucerne chaff
    I wet this mix with water
    The gumnuts weighed in at 1kg per scoop equals-2kg per feed
    The white chaff weighed in at 500grams per full container equals-1kg per feed
    The lucerne chaff weighed in at 400grams per container equals- 400grams per feed.
    This hard feed kept the weight on my old girl but I slowly introduced Speedi-beet until she was getting 400grms(dry) with each nightly feed. I soak it in a 9lt bucket of cold water for 10 minutes and then pour the whole lot in her dry feed and mix it through. She loves this and eats the lot although it does take her 2hrs+ lol. She has put on weight and is looking very good atm. I am happy with the speedi-beet. I lock her up while she is eating her hard feed and let her out once it is finished.
    She only gets fed at night as she refuses to eat hard feed in the morning, she prefers grazing all day:confused:

6. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

I first bought it to feed to my Cushings / IR mare and it did take her a little while to get used to it. I have also found that even with the very low sugar content it still has a little too much sugar for her so I soak it in heaps of water for a little longer than the recommended time then drain it to remove as much sugar as possible. A friend in Qld said that friends of hers had had the same problem and they did the same thing as I was doing. I then use that water to soak Grower / Weaner pellets and speedibeet for my 2 old geldings (33 & 35+ respectively). They love it with the mushy pellets and are thriving.

They get around an icecream container (soaked quantity) and about 700 gms of pellets (pre soaked quantity) each feed. I chuck the whole lot in together and soak overnight for the morning feeds and all day for the evening feeds so that the pellets are nice and soft so the speedibeet gets that amount of soaking too but if you don't overdo the water it doesn't get too mushy. I've found it doesn't make much difference soaking it for that long because the pellets take up the excess water.

One gelding is 16 hands and solid and the other is 13 hands and along with lucerne and oaten chaff plus a bit of pasture they are doing extremely well on it and I'm not exactly feeding huge quantities of it either.

7. abi

abi Well-known Member

speedi beet is fantastic for putting on weight, is suitable for laminitics as well. . i find it none heating and excellent at re hydrating on a hot day. it mega high fibre, i have fed it for years and years.

8. Neighlands

Neighlands Well-known Member

Ditto the above - used to buy heaps of it. Much easier than soaking cubes overnight like in the old days :)

9. shelllouise19

shelllouise19 Active Member

if ur horse is a gelding, try adding a little Fenugreek powder, there was a scientific paper done on it which says that Fenugreek, banana and cherry are the most favoured flavours of horses, why i dont know cos it reeks something foul!

at 1% it can mask the worming powders!

just dont give it to pregnant mares cos it will cause them to spit out the foal-causes contractions.
    but it is fine after the foal is born cos it increases milk production!

10. lex

lex Well-known Member

Hello! I fed it to my tb as a fattener (from memory it was only about 500g unsoaked) and it worked really well. Don't soak for too long (ie more than a day) as it can go off pretty quickly especially in the up and coming hotter seasons. It is a good feed though I stopped feeding it because a) he didnt need it anymore as I was feeding copra and b) i found the bags I were using contained ALOT of sand.
    All the best **)

11. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

i found the bags I were using contained ALOT of sand.

So you found that too ! I thought I was imagining it the first time I saw it then someone else mentioned it. I rinse and drain it now.

12. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Speedi Beet can be soaked longer than the normal Sugar Beet products as it has no molasses added to it but as stated I would not use it after more than over night and the following day soaking incase of spoiling.

I have been using Speedi Beet since it first arrived in WA and have to say that I sent samples of a sand like substance to the suppliers in the early days who had it tested (sample was provided by a customer as I've never had it happen before) they said the sample was not sand and that regardelss of how much the product was washed it was a root product and as such a small amount of grit would be found in the skin of the product but that the high fibre consistency of the feed would facilitate the removal of this and it would not cause any issues.

I did have a full letter explaining all this from them but it has unfortunately been lost in the great computer crash of 2007 :)

I would also assume that any product endorsed by Dr John Kohnke would have been well researched by him as he certainly would not recommend the feeding of any product detrimental to our loved equines.

13. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Do you use speedi beet instead of.... or as well as say Hygain Senior? I got my sample bag yesterday (thank you very much Arylin) isn't it funny stuff. It looks like gray cornflakes. I was blown away how 500gms of dry can bulk out sooooo much. My old boy thinks its fantastic. I offered it to Poppy but she's a creature of habit and is not very adventurous when it comes to trying something different. On a cold evening can I soak it in hot water for yummy warmie in tummies or will it harm the nutritional value of the product?

I'm off to Bio John now to pickup feed. I hope they have it but I don't think they will. What is the RRP of a bag of Speedi?

Thanks again.**)

14. pso

pso Gold Member

RRP around $38-40

I too collected a sample bag yesterday (thanks arylin!**) )...My boys werent so keen on it (might try hot water tonight!)

So, one question...Is there an easy way to get it out of my hair/clothes/boots, they thought they'd 'share'*#) ;)

15. samm

samm Gold Member

Well I've put a couple of mine on it that needed some more weight on after obtaining samples from Arylin to see if they'd eat it .They are rapidly gaining the weight by the looks and love it.
    I do soak mine in hot water and feed it warm.
    Thanks Neryl for the sample bags etc.Much appreciated :)

16. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

haha...pso, your boys obviously thought you needed to know what you were making them eat!

Mine took a few days to like it - now my fussy horse turns his nose up at his dinner if there's none in there!

Hot water is fine Marianne. I assume that it doesn't change the nutritional value as the bag states that you can soak it in hot water. It also swells a lot quicker in hot water ;)

As for using it as a replacement, I think it has a lot of nutritional value, but it isn't a complete feed and so you would have to balance the diet.

17. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Bio John don't have it and have no intention of keeping it in stock.:( Have to find somewhere else to buy it.

18. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Marianne any reputable stockfeed store will either carry the product or order it in for you.
    You can certainly soak it in warm water and many of the ponies seem to prefer it warm to cold spoilt brats they are :)

PSO hire a cleaning lady then you dont have to worry about how to get Speedi Beet from your clothes, Shoes etc . Sorry can't help with the hair issue buit would suggest a lovely warm shower will do the trick or a quick hose while giving pony a lovely warm bath.

They certainly do put on some excellent weight gain with Speedi Beet but it is also perfect for the fat pony who you want to make feel like they are full with out making them even more of a porker.

Samm glad your guys took to the SPeedi beet for you. How are you finding the other sample product I gave you ??

19. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

I have been feeding Speedi-beet for over year now. Put a skinny ottb onto it, as he was a fussy eater, and I was sick of throwing left over food out each day.

It took a few days for him to get used to the feed, but once he did, he never left a scrap of dinner again ! His weight improved and general apperance improved. He was a horse that had ulcers, which was the reason I changed to it.

I put my older t.b on it when he came back into work and he thrived.

Have just started the new t.b on it ( just off track also) He is in okay condition wise, but unfortunatley after a week he is still picking. However, he is picking at anything as he has gone into his rotation paddock and has clover up to his knees, and he literally does not lift his head up out of the grass.... So, for now, I am going to put it down to that.

I soak mine before I ride, as I feed after I ride in mornings. Then soak some in seperate bucket that I place on top of his night feed for his dinner. Seems to work fine.

20. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Question for those that feed it - How long does 1 bag last if fed to 1 horse ( t/b) 2 hard feeds a day using an "average" quantity?