Someone stole my letterbox

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Dingo, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Dingo

Dingo New Member

The evil hand of theft has touched me recently, and my letterbox was the object of the thieves desire.

For those of you who don't know, unusual letterboxes are a bit of a thing in the country. There are no rules, as long as mail can be put inside it is a mailbox. White goods are common (especially microwaves), 44 gallon drums are an easy favourite, there are timber logs, random pieces of timber nailed together by the kids, I have even seen toilets.

So mine was an old petrol cement mixer.

2. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Totally thieving crumb bums

3. Dingo

Dingo New Member

I just spent ages typing out a spiel to edit my post and explain the whole thing as it posted prematurely, but the internet froze and I lost it all! Annoyed, think I might just go to the shed! I'll add detail later when I have calmed down!

4. Dingo

Dingo New Member

Ok, I can explain in a bit more detail now that I have calmed down. I noticed a week before when I went into town that the barrel of the mixer was facing down. It was a very old mixer and took a lot of manipulation and persuasion to move the barrel. We had that intuitive feeling that it had been interfered with, but put it down to the resident fox sleeping in it. Said fox occasionally takes out the mail and tears it up and we get bite marks in our packages!

So when I went down to check the mail and mail box was not there, that moment instantly came into my head. Now I think someone had checked it out, realised it was cast iron and weighed over 100kgs and came back a week later with some mates to help lift it into a ute. I am on a relatively busy road between two towns, so I figure it is someone who drives past fairly regularly.

The worst part is now I feel very vulnerable, and I am so paranoid about them coming back to look for more things to steal. I now watch people driving past thinking, was it him?

My new letterbox is an old castrol oil drum. Surely a rusty old drum won't get stolen. Not very original, but it was all I could find in a hurry. Open to ideas for the improved version!