Softening on the lunge.

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by celestialdancer, Dec 20, 2013.

1. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

My TB mare is usually an angel on the lunge, she pops herself into long and low and will trot around at a steady pace, over trot poles etc without blinking.

However the last couple of times I've lunged her, she's been 'distant'.

She will do the work, but she rushes it. She's been seen by a bodyworker, and she's having her 45day scan Monday so will get the vet to check her out again, but it seems as though she just can't concentrate!

This pony LOVES to work, she gallops around the paddock fine, and the vet wants her to stay in light work. I haven't over-lunged her so don't think that could be it. Swapped to long reining for a short spell to change it up but she's the same there too. Her teeth have been done.

Anyone have any bright ways to get her to travel softly? It's only when she tries to become a giraffe that we get problems as she rushes, the second she drops to a frame or long and low she relaxes, swings through the back and comes underneath herself and works properly.

If it's soreness, obviously I'll get it sorted out, but it seems to me more like an attention span issue atm?

Any ideas anyone? Haha :)

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Perhaps boredom? Can you take her out for a bush ride instead?

3. celestialdancer

She can't be ridden :(

4. Black Ice

Black Ice Well-known Member

Teddy is being a bit the same lately, so as soon as I see I'm losing his attention I make the circle smaller/bigger and change the pace. At the moment I'm getting half a circle nice and relaxed and half with him rushing... But still, improving on what it was last week!

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

45 day scan? If she is in foal do you need to work her? I know work in the first tri is practised regularly but if she is not happy is it worth it?
    Maybe a nice walk out on some trails or pony her if she needs to be worked

6. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Not really to do with lunging but in our field, mares tend to go either way when they stay in work whilst pregnant. Either happy and willing, or they just stop wanting to work. Think it must have something to do with hormones.
    My boss had one last year who went great guns whilst in early months of pregnancy.. now we have one who is 6 weeks pregnant, racing and going shocking.

Maybe shes just one of 'those' mares?

7. celestialdancer

Could be Mykky!

I can't pony her as to get to the trails I have to road ride and go over a bridge and with the d*ckhead drivers around here it's enough of a heart attack to have one horse on the road! :(

The vet would like her to maintain work as last year we had problems in her third trimester due to her not being very fit and lacking in muscle (that's pretty much all we could put it down to!)

It's barely ten minutes every 1-2 days. Just wish she'd travel softly so we don't have the wrong muscles developing.

8. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

To keep her focus and attention, could you try more transitions (eg change of gait every quarter circle, or travelling the circle so she has a straight bit along the arena side every second circle), or using obstacles like poles to travel over or parallel poles to aim her through, backing up on the circle, changing directions through the circle, if you lunge with two reins and roller you could do figure eights...

Failing that, I find the promise of carrots sweetens any attitude into trying to focus.

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I think it is a bit too late to develop the correct muscles in any pregnant mare! What human mother worries about developing any muscle before they give birth??

Put her in a large dry paddock with company and feed her carefully. Take her for walks, float out to safe locations and pony her, or even the beach. Plenty of options to keep her moving.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  10. celestialdancer

She was in work and we were working on developing topline before she went into foal :)

She's in with my other pregnant mare so exercise isn't what the girls do best :p They spend most of their day exercising their jaws by standing at the hay roll scoffing.

I'm only on five acres, and the only way to get to a trail to walk is to take her on the road, and I don't want to, float is being repaired. There was a reason I asked for lunging exercises. I long rein her and do liberty with poles on the ground, cones etc but I was curious as to why all of a sudden her lunging has gone to poop.

Thank you everyone for your responses :)

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

hehehe cd, you have no kids. Trust me, when you do, you will understand why *everything* goes to poop when pregnancy kicks in!

:D

12. celestialdancer

NG! Don't scare me like that! :p

13. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

can you not pony her in the paddock at home keep boththe girls in work that way