Sodium bicarbonate

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Timadit, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Timadit

Timadit New Member

Who has experience with sodium bicarbonate.... How to use it before race ?
    And the usefulness of use it ?

2. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

When used in small amounts it can help disperse lactic acid - however, I think research has shown that it has little effect in this area. All to do with gut PH levels. it alkalises gut acid.

I use ALKA PELLETS which have a different type of stuff in them to help balance PH levels, and it is released straight into the hindgut, whereas BI carb tends to break down before it reaches the hind gut.

Bicarb 'drenches' are a common practise when trying to mask or hide other substances in the horse which may be illegal, as it acts also as a diuretic..... this is why you should not use it in the lead up to racing...unless you plan to use illegal drugs.

3. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Bicarbonate drenching can be detected in blood testing as you have an increase in TCO2 levels. Heavy penalties are given to trainers that are caught.

4. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Was just about to say-its swabbable!!

5. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

What a strange thing to ask on a public forum. I hope no ones knows you on here as that could turn bad on you

6. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

english not so fantastic either :D

7. Timadit

Timadit New Member

Shell I add sodium bicarbonate with feed before race instead of using by tube, can it give same effect ??

8. katelol

katelol Guest

Timadit - what country are you in?

Here in Australia it is illegal to use Sodium bicarbonate in race horses. And as people here have said, it doesn't work.

Please don't use it.

9. Timadit

Timadit New Member

I'm in UAE
    For sodium bicarbonate be banned if the result of CO2 in the blood test before the race rate of 37 or above, So far there are no any Studies confirm that any side effects of sodium bicarbonate if given by a limited dose. This is the information I have.
    I hope to advise me by any information on the subject

Thanks for all

10. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Suggest contacting your racing authority and asking for a copy of their prohibited substances and guidelines.

11. Timadit

Timadit New Member

Yes Sir, I have a copy of the banned substances
    and also I have discussed with racing Authority about the sodium bicarbonate and has confirmed the same as mentioned above.
    Now I just want to know if it can be added with bran b4 race 6 hours
    Or it must need to use by tube only

many thanks for all

12. Timadit

Timadit New Member

Yes, I have fully informed of doping and prohibited substances according to the law of the racing authority in the UAE

For sodium bicarbonate is not within the prohibited substances, except in the case of more than 37 per blood test before the race

Now I want to clarify if can be given sodium bicarbonate to the horse with the last meal before the race ?
    Is it in this case can give the same effect when given by gastric tube ?

Thanks for all

13. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Surely all the people you have been talking to would be able to tell you what you want to know. Or how about a vet. Not sure if there are vets in the UAE?
    Presumably you have your horse with a trainer, you might be able to ask him?

Or, you could do whatever it is you want, race the horse, and if it swabs then you'll have your answer and you won't have to annoy all those other people with your questions.

Either way, BiCarb is viewed as performance enhancing when someone is trying to give it this close to racing time. Its actually called a "Milkshake" here.......lolol There is probably a name for it in the UAE....but you'd have to annoy people behind the barns or in alley ways to find it out.

Whatever you are trying to achieve it sounds rather 'odd'.......but I'm having fun so thats all that matters......HAHAHAAHHA:)*

14. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

Timadit

I can suggest to you an excellent forum/information website that gives great information on the latest scientifically backed training techniques for thoroughbred and standardbred racehorses. here, you will be able to discuss with the very competent author, training methods for thoroughbred horses to achieve more endurance, and less lactic acid burn during training and races...

thoroedge.wordpress.com

good luck!

15. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

That sounds like an excellent website CDA. I will bookmark it to see if there might be anything useful for training eventers in there as SJ would love more info I am sure.

Anything that helps race horse fitness is bound to be helpful for her so thank you very much

16. Timadit

Timadit New Member

I do not think that you are compelled to respond or comment on the subject

17. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Actually I do feel a bit compelled......how intriguing to get such a post from the UAE about Bicarb. What does your vet say? What does your trainer say? What about your jockey or driver? Surely they have an opinion?

You still haven't mentioned what your objective/agenda is?

ETA: The questions you are asking in a racing thread are odd........anyone in the racing or performance world knows or should know about prohibitive substances and with-holding periods of drugs (or at the very least have a relationship with their vet to ask).
    Apart from the obvious, not sure why anyone would post a "like" to such a reply, but it shows just how undignified some people are. Sad little people really.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  18. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

Well this seems a little suspicious.

19. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Sodium bicarbonate by mouth or by tube does the same thing just that you will most likely get more into a horse via tube than hoping they will eat it....regardless SSB it is an illegal practice and has been stated multiple times in this thread even in the UEA. There is a threshold level established and penalties apply if a horse is detected in excess of this level. This poster is asking how much they can give before breaching this level. The answer is "who knows", it depends on so many factors!

It is as good as asking you that I wish to use the freeway as a race track tonight to drive at 200km/hr and what would be a time of night I could get away with this!

Administering bicarbonate to a horse prior to a race is illegal and therefore providing advice on administering it is at the least unethical and at the worst extremely stupid as it would identify the poster of most likely engaging in an illegal practice and I am sure the stewards or at leasts their rivals would be interested in knowing this.

There is nothing EVP has said is judgmental it is all commonsense and if anything this person is probably going to get a lot more answers to their questions if they do speak to their vet or trainer than asking here on good old stockies.

20. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

The poster had already inferred they were aware of the rules and wants to know much they can get away with.

Therefore the reason for your post was an attack on EVP....so really it makes you no different than EVP does it? Liking that post by Nattyh was either an accident or inflammatory. If I wrote a post that told you to butt out of a conversation wouldn't you take it offensively if EVP liked it?