So what colour do you think he is

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Pinkie_Pie, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

This is my daughters pony Cricket. I'm unsure as to what colour he is. When we got him I thought he could of been a dark buckskin/dun as he has a dorsal stripe. When we got him he still had his winter coat. He was sold to us as brown. When he shed his winter coat however I was suprised to see him go black. My sisters horse does the opposite - black in winter and brown bay in summer. I have come to the conclusion that he is possibly a smokey black, just by looking at pictures of other smokey blacks. I'm not fussed either way as he has personality to die for and colour isn't important. I'm just curious.

So here are some pics of him at different times in the year. I have noticed he is getting more and more grey flecks through his coat. He'll be 12 this year. At the moment he is black.

This is the most recent
    [​IMG]

December 2010
    [​IMG]

Jan 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

June a couple of years ago
    [​IMG]

August 2009 (lots of blue ribbons!)
    [​IMG]

May 2008
    [​IMG]

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

PInkie Pie...a lot of horses have dorsals that are not Dun, you would need to DNA to know for sure and he can only be dun if he has a dun parent, or buckskin if he has a dilute parent:)*

3. Cav

Cav Gold Member

What colour is his sire and dam?

4. Pinkie_Pie

I have no ideas what colour his parents are, he isn't registered

5. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Be hard to know EXACTLY what is colour is, get him tested if your REALLY want to know ;)

6. Pinkie_Pie

Yeah I did research, and came to the conclusion it is because he's part shettie and they are like a "primative" breed or something. I don't really understand it all... Just curious is all :D

7. Cav

Cav Gold Member

He looks shettie to me from pics unless you can mention what he is crossed with?...you wont know for sure unless you have him tested though.

8. Pinkie_Pie

Yeah... not fussed lol Just thought there might be some stockie out there who might have an idea. :)*

9. Pinkie_Pie

He's cross welsh

10. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Sorry for my ignorance pinkie but how do you know his breeding if you dont know who his sire and dam are?

11. Pinkie_Pie

His previous owners told us... But you can't always trust what sellers say and they didn't breed him. What I do know is he had a bit of a rough life before he came to us. I think his previous owners rescued him and put the work into him and then sold him. But looking at him you can see both shetty and welsh

12. Cav

Cav Gold Member

dont see any welsh? sorry i cant help you with his colour :)

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I think he looks pure Shetland ';'

14. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

ditto - He looks just like a pony I bought for my son when he was 3...but that was 18 years ago ! his name was Boots

Cheers
    Lee

15. Pinkie_Pie

OK... so I asked about colour... not breed. If you guys think he's pure shetty thats up to you. I see his dishy welsh face and he is taller than what I know shetlands to be (which I always thought was no higher than 10hh), but I do know that there exceptions, so I tell people he's x welsh

16. mineees

mineees Gold Member

I would say there is a good chance he is buckskin...:)

17. Cav

Cav Gold Member

pinkie, the breed can also help determine the colour, that is why we were asking. He could very well just be an overheight shetland. Unless you know his breeding or get him tested then it will always be an unknown quantity :)

18. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Perhaps you could read the Shetland breed standards?
    Sorry, but I don't think it's ethical to just tell people your horse is "sumthing breed" just because it doesn't fit what your imaginary-pony-of-that-breed looks like ';'

I love your pony's teeny weeny ears which do look a bit welshie.....but I know a friend's PURE Shetland has those teeny weeny chiselled ears too :D I have always put her Shetland over the one I had just based on those cute lil ears (I am a welshie fan :p)

Anyways...point being....coats will change seasonally and according to feed. If the pony is let to graze on such grasses as clover and dry kike....it's likely it will darken (no matter the season). High sugar contents in feed/grass will darken the coat....sun/lack of minerals will fade the coat. The only way you can be 100% is to have his coat tested....and also (sorry to sound rude :eek:), maybe get some high resolution pics :)

19. mudslide

mudslide Well-known Member

I agree with mineees, but do a dna test for cream and then you will know what colour he is

20. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

Lovely pony but I would say brown/black. Smokey black have teal coloured eyes and he definately has hazel. He is gelded, not reg, so colour should not be an issue as long as your daughter is having heaps of fun on him thats all that matters hey**)

Regards - Sue

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011