So, it was just an abcess?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Remaani, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

hope she is home and keeping you busy :) looking forward to you saying she is well and full of mischief.

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hey Remaani how is that baby of yours going? Hope all is well.

I need a baby fix complete with pics lol

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

She had the surgery on the 26th April & we picked her up a few days later.
    The wound was to be flushed twice daily plus Bute for 5 days & AB's for 7 days.
    Shoulder was looking great, she was in fine spirits & the small amount of condition she dropped from the 5 days at Murdoch, she has put straight back on.

Yesty arvo i flushed the wound out again, all was good then within 1/2 hour she was 3 legged, this morn still lame & shoulder swollen back up.
    I'm thinking she was being stupid in the roundyard, but waiting to hear back from Murdoch anyway... they rang yesty & i told them she was going great, not much/if any discharge (good) & then later on, she is lame again!!! :(
    Someone mentioned a Muscle Tear so will look into it.

However the vet at Murdoch did say when i picked her up, that she was a fighter, strong willed LOL & sure of herself (lol amongst full of sass etc) so i'm hoping we can get over this hurdle again. :confused:

4. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Argh, how frustrating for you (and Aurora). You've come so far and fought so hard you certainly don't deserve any more setbacks ! Fingers crossed she's back on 4 legs and bouncing around soon.

Did they end up finding a foreign body in the pocket at the time of surgery or was it all just infection and muck ?

5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thankyou.
    The vet report said no foreign body found but was all just gunk/infection.

Will update when we know more, it'll be another trip to Murdoch i dare say.

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

But i will say & i don't have any fear in admitting it... if she was a pony i brought & didn't breed (& have an emotional attachment to), i would of had her PTS.
    Prob the easy way out but hell, she's only 8 mths old.

She best appreciate everything i'm doing for her LOL as she has sent me broke & drained LOL.
    But i love her, i wanted "her" since i got the sire (no longer have) so i'll do what ever i can. :)

7. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Oh Remaani that sucks big time :(

I dont blame you for thinking you would have put her down had she been bought not bred.

It is so hard to go down the road of fixing an injury to only have more complications. I know a number of people who would have put down their animal had they realised how difficult it was going to be.

Hoping she comes good fast

8. Good for you Remaani for not being a quitter**)
    is much easier and cheaper to get a horse pts than spend $$ and effort to save it. I know first hand how heartbreaking it could get, especially when everything goes well and then you get a set back with an unknown future thrown at you. Aurora has been a good patient, fingers crossed for a positive outcome.:)))

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I haven't updated for ages & lots have happened since the last update!

Aurora's shoulder blew back up like mentioned after the small surgery & we took her back to Murdoch on the 11th May.
    They did another Ultrasound & again no foreign body found, just huge infection inside & shoulder full of gas? Gosh can't remember now.
    The previous abcess that they opened up in the surgery was closing up & not draining so a hole was cut in her shoulder away from the abcess site & alot of gunk removed. Left opened to drain.
    More AB's & Bute & basically told as we were finished that they could open her up from the 1st punture site which is up towards the wither, to the 3rd down in the pec area.
    David the vet basically said this surgery has no guarantees, she could end up with Paralysis & may never be able to walk... as well as never finding the "problem".
    In his words, as well as the other vet that did the first surgery, their opinion is "it's not worth going thru with it". Not in soo many words but we had a good chat & gave Ray my OH a chance to know what was the go as he never came down to Murdoch the last few times.

We decided we won't go thru with that surgery (& the cost is rather high too, that isn't the deciding factor but yes i will not bullshit & say it's not an issue, it certainly is a big factor..), ATM Aurora is out in the big paddock with 2 other youngsters, she's sound, happy, holding condition great considering she's not rugged & on a very simple diet.

The abcess site reopened slightly after the hole in other area of shoulder closed over & was draining daily so i went back to flushing that wound out twice daily.
    Since coming off the AB's 26th May, she's not gotten sore, shoulder still slightly enlarged but i massage Ice Gel into it each night.

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

As she is still sound & happy, we took her to the WAAHA Encouragement Show on Sunday the 17th June.
    I didn't clip as she's unrugged so my show prep seemed 1/2 finished LOL as i normally clip the body, ears out etc. ;)
    This is the first time she's been off the property to anywhere bar the vets (& river) & first time floated with another horse.

Aurora handled the bath the day before & in the stable, the float load in the dark was perfect, the travel down excellent & she happily ate her brekky.
    She stood at the showgrounds like a dream, never at all stressed.
    Was easy to prep & to show - wow what a good girl!
    She placed in all her classes. :))

She's now back in the paddock (i've left her rug on now LOL), still as happy as ever.
    Am playing it all by ear, however we won't go thru the big surgery, i feel like i'm giving up but it's been emotional & financially draining.
    However, taking her to the show on Sunday... the "bad stuff" was forgotten & i just LOVED showing her off - that's all i ever wanted, to enjoy her & have others enjoy seeing her. She won many admireres on Sunday. :p
    For now, we are allowing her to be a horse in the paddock & will cross that "bridge" when it comes. x

(pics in next post)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
  11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

At the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics thanks to Jodie. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And at home day after the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  12. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Remaani she is so stunning I am glad you got to have some fun and enjoyment.

I would hate to think how much the vet bills have added up to and can totally understand why you have to come to the point where no more treatment is possible.

Thinking of you hoping that she continues to heal.

Good luck

13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thanks SM.
    Yes i have a good series of vet bills from Murdoch & my own local vet, then add up the Equine Touch which is $75 each time, the Acupuncture, herbs etc etc but it def has been worth it.
    It's still "draining" emotionally/financially but to take her to the show on Sunday & have her sound & happy, well it was amazing - actually words can't describe how happy & proud i was! :D

I hope she continues to heal but i won't get my hopes up. For now, she's enjoying life being a horse. :))

14. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Aurora is still going great.
    Infact it's been 6 wks since she had her last Antibiotic course & she's not had any setbacks.
    Normally after finishing the AB's, the shoulder blows back up within 2 wks & she's lame.
    Not ATM. ;)

On the 30th June she was very naughty, full of beans, jumped a gate, past the other ponies, up thru a massive cropped paddock & took off up the bitumen road!!
    Naturally i thought the worst as lots of cars/trucks so i took off after her (but not thru paddock LOL) on a friends pony & she was going up/down the bitumen. Spotted Jazz the pony & came in thru the gateway.
    I rode back & lead Aurora... she never pulled up lame/stiff that night or the next morn though i did expect it! :O

She has another Breed Show next weekend then she can have a few months off. :)

Pics from the 30th June, being very energetic! (before she went running away LOL).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

Love this pony.

Can i please, please, please have her?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  16. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Remaani I am keepign everything crossed for you that she continues to go as well as she is. You deserve her to do well.

17. emmajesse

emmajesse New Member

WOW you poor thing OMG I panicked with what we thought was asmall abscess in my boys hoof which was nt even that in the end!

You are a good mum :)

18. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Time for an update IMO.
    It's been months now since Aurora's last Murdoch visit where i was told surgery most likely won't fix it (plus a big chance of paralysis) & prob best to have her PTS.

Well since then she's done a couple of shows & is going fantastic!
    She is in prep for 2 shows now, Arabian States & WA Buckskin States.... i never thought i'd get her to the Arab Shows so i'm extremely excited we got her this far!
    And she's very lucky, couple days ago she was in her stable with a snake that NEARLY bit her! :eek:

Her last show, back in early September.

[​IMG]

The very next day we went & got some piccies, moments after getting this pics, she ran thru a wire fence & skinned her hind leg. :(

[​IMG]

Couple of weeks ago.

[​IMG]

Took this pic this morn, she's a bit chubby but apart from that, doing VERY well. :)

[​IMG]

19. Diana

Diana Gold Member

She looks awesome!! Check out those DAPPLES!!!! **) **) :D

That third pic is just beautiful.

20. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

She's lovely :)