So, it was just an abcess?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Remaani, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

One last thing I just thought of. When doing lymphatic drainage or any massage actually the client (In this case your gorgeous filly) may feel a bit off for a day or two after as the toxins caught up in that massive swelling starts to shift and put a bit of pressure on the kidneys and liver to try and get rid of them.

I would expect that she may drink more then usual and her pee may be a darker colour and she just may be a bit less bright and bouncy. Dont be worried if that is the case. It will disappear very quickly.

I would do a shorter massage for the first one so she doesn't get overloaded say five to ten minutes if she will stand that long. Then later on say three days time give her longer if you want to.

You dont want to do this massage when there is an active infection going on as it might spread it which is why earlier would not have been good but now would be great.

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Well Aurora is going to be at Murdoch on Tuesday for an Ultrasound.
    Yesty i noticed she was stepping a touch short & a further look noticed the abcess had reopened, the shoulder was swollen.
    Flushed wound out, contacted Murdoch but Liz was out.
    Anyway spoke to them this morn, she'll have an Ultrasound Tuesday, if the foreign object (which i can NOW feel something under the skin!!) is easy to get to, she'll have standing surgery whilst we are there, otherwise go under & surgery on Thursday.
    Here's hoping its a simple procedure & nothing else sinister inside elsewhere!

Other than that, she's not short stepping today, she's still in good spirits & cheeky & her usual self. :)

3. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

I hope you find it this time - poor you, it's never ending!! Glad the wee fillly is still perky though.

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Fingers crossed for you that it is simple adn easy to get rid of.

5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Either way she'll be having it removed (i hope what i can feel is the only foreign object)... we've came this far, not giving up now!
    The bank might think otherwise but ahh too bad LOL.

However, i hope she can have standing up surgery so i can bring her straight home. Love this girl. :)

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I will be thinking of you on Tuesday and hope it is simple to sort. Damn shame it is in such an awkward place to slap a poltice on. fingers crossed for you.

7. Pintaloosa

Pintaloosa Well-known Member

I hope Tuesday brings you some answers. I'll be thinking of you guys :)

8. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak Active Member

Such a stunning filly!

I also wish her loads of luck on Tuesday and look forward to more updates

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hey Remaani. Hopefully by this time tomorrow you will have it all sorted and your filly will be back on track.
    Shall be thinking of you tomorrow.

Good luck

10. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Good luck tommorrow Remaani.
    Make sure you come on and fill us in when you get time :)
    I'll be thinking of you and your lovely po-nee :p

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Home from Murdoch... minus Aurora!
    She will be having surgery on Thursday but all good she can come home that arvo (late)... Ultrasound showed a large "pocket" inside the muscle & not 100% sure if it was a foreign body (from the original punctures) or a tiny piece of fibrous tissue inside that "pocket" - technical terms escape me!! ;)
    Hopefully the surgery on Thursday to scrape the fibrous tissue out may remove what is either of the above, plus the correct/most suitable AB's for her (as sample taken).
    She's happy though but gave the vet/nurses/students a hard time to sedate & still fought with 2 lots of sedation & made her attitude be known with the most snarliest of faces LOL once she was waking up - face screwed up, ears back at the girls HEHEHE - that's my girl LOL! ;)
    Sad to leave her behind but she has a beautiful green paddock (as she isn't keen on the stable) to herself.

[​IMG]

12. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

fingers crossed... at least she has a nice grassy paddock to relax in... good luck

13. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

fingers crossed that this will be the last of it for you.

She is such a gorgeous girl.

14. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thanks Banjo & SM.
    Am hoping tomorrow is good news. :)

15. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Good luck tommorrow Remaani. Both me and Aurora are having surgery that day, lol :p Luckily mine is the simple one though ;)

16. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hey Remaani you do realise that we are hanging out for the update that says all is well and your filly is being a mad hoon at home.
    Least I am hopeful that is what you come on to say.

17. Remaani

Remaani Guest

LOL i wish she was at home.. :(

18. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Whoops, pressed submit too quick!!

Ok, we had left York to go pick her up & my OH rang to say vet had rang (i was in/out of service area) & don't come down, she bleed alot after the surgery.
    So turn around, head home in a stress LOL!
    Vet was busy so was a few hours before i got to speak to him but she's ok... was safer her being there (staying till Sat) due to the bleeding.
    Other than that, vet had to open the "tract" larger to clean out the pocket inside, lots of pus/gunk which wasn't draining due to tract closed up.
    Ummm i'm sure he said they took a sample to be sure the best AB's for her, other than that the tract is made larger to encourage better drainage.
    I didn't ask if anything was found inside, but i will hear from vet tomoz (he was pretty busy late this arvo).

So all in all, she is ok & we'll pick her up Sat morn. :)

19. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

so not at home? What is happening? Just want to know cos I am a sticky beak gossip*#).... no no that's not it.
    So I can send healing vibes your way if needed:)
    Hope things are OK?

ETA I was too quick and impatient for you lol.

So sad she was bleeding :( but good to know she is being well looked after.

Hope all that blood washed out any nasties and this is the last of this injury for you and your gorgeous filly

20. Shiralee

Shiralee Well-known Member

Bet you cant wait to pick her up tomorrow, hope its all healing really well and a speedy and nicely uneventful recovery to come.