So, it was just an abcess?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Remaani, Mar 17, 2012.

1. TahliaMatches

TahliaMatches New Member

what a beautiful horse! such a shame about the abcess butglad to hear it's on the mend. she would do well in shows as she has a lot of natural beauty nd presence. lovely colour

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

need some more pics Remaani :) I need my baby horse fix lol. Hope she is continuing to improve.

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I got some more pics. ;)
    We bathed her today, slapped some makeup on (& was a horrid job as she kept trying to eat the chalk block then wanted to know what the Baby Oil Gel was LOL)! HAHA!
    And let her loose in the arena for some pics!

She didn't pull up sore after which is great.
    Will upload shortly, need to resize them again. ;)

4. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Yes i took a few LOL!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  5. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Remaani she is looking stunning :) So lovely to see her running so well.

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thanks, i think so too LOL! ;)
    She had another ET session last week, as she was a touch sore (from going to yarded at night to out with the other weanling during the day.... i found now being out 24/7, she's much better) & had no halter/leadrope on.
    She was happy to stand to be treated - shows how much trust she has with Glenda now. :)

7. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

would be interested to see a shot of the front of her shoulder to see how the swelling etc is going. But she is so lucky to have you :)

8. ringo24

ringo24 New Member

She looks amazing I am glad that she is getting better.

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Will grab a pic this arvo if i remember SM... it's still enlarged but the swelling isn't rock hard like it was before & after (the abcess), it's much more softer around the area. :)

Thanks Ringo. :)

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Hey Remaani it's time fro an update. I need my baby fix :)

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I need to get a front on pic, soo hard now as she's full of herself & won't stand still LOL!

Well we took her wading at the river on Tuesday, so over an hours float trip, swim, float trip back home & she didn't pull up sore - i did expect her too!
    Started on the herbs Country Park sent thru (Yarrow, Rosehips & Meadowsweet) & really she's doing great!

I'm amazed with her condition, she isn't getting big hardfeeds (or full of supplements etc) or adlib hay, but since the abcess burst & she's not sore (or as sore?), she has blossomed. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laying down LOL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. TahliaMatches

TahliaMatches New Member

she looks amazing! naww, kisses from her to the young boy in the lake. soo cute!
    shes come along very well, if you ever think of selling her, you're gonna regret it, she has amazing colour and presence. good to see shes getting better!

13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thankyou. :)
    She will never leave my ownership, i sold her sire before she was born & her dam at the end of Jan & i regret selling them as they both crossed very well (Aurora has an older full brother, pics below)... & i had wanted a filly from that combo.
    She's def a keeper. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012
  14. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

wowee she is bloody fancy, remaani.

how awesome that this has turned into something relatively easy to deal with. *phew*

15. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I am so so pleased for you that she is healing so well :) She looks an absolute picture and I am sure would do wonderfully in the show ring.

Well done Remaani thank you for the pics :)

16. TahliaMatches

TahliaMatches New Member

she hs a lovely brother. imagine if they ever competed against each other (unlikely, but imagine!) if i was the judge i wouldnt know who to choose!
    cant wait to see new pics soon. shes like an addiction, cant get enough adorableness

17. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Front on pic.
    There is still some enlargement of the area but naturally she's not going to heal overnight. ;)
    Everything is "soft" now & i'm still massinging her shoulder area lightly now & then.
    She's not standing square so bit hard, she's full of p*** & wind & is just jumping out of her skin so hard to get a standing square pic!

[​IMG]

Compere it to the 25th March.... i just can't see much of a change however but have been told "be patient!!".

[​IMG]

Whereas this is the 13th March when the abcess blew!

[​IMG]

18. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

that is looking so much better. I can see a real difference from 25th March to April.

You might find a mix of hot and cold massage may help with the speed the swelling reduces. The hot you get by microwaving a potato and wrapping it in a towel the cold by getting a foam coffee cup and filling it with water and freezing it then peeling the foam away to reveal the ice but leave enough to protect your fingers.

also getting into her arm pit and doing tiny tiny soft soft circles to get her lymphatics draining will help reduce the swelling.

The movement is so so small it is just your fingers placed on the skin and move them just enough to make the skin roll just a tiny bit. The pressure is so light you can barely feel it. It helps clear the lymphglands to drain the extra fluid that causes the swelling

Once you have done her armpit then you do efflurage over that shoulder and draining it toward the armpit. What that is is stroking from the top of the swelling down and toward the armpit so slowly and gently.

eta massage once every three days is what is recommended. But life does get in the way and she will do herself so much good with all the movement that there is no need to feel guilty if you cant get that much done.

Now being a little girl who is so full of herself she may not stay still for long in which case no worries at all her movement will get that fluid moving however you may find if she accepts it that it sends her to sleep.

Remaani she is looking so well and that shoulder is healing amazingly. What a pleasure to watch her grow.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  19. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thanks heaps SM!! :)
    Will start what you suggested when i'm home this arvo... thankyou. **)

20. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

my pleasure :) I loved doing the lymphatic drainage when I was studying. It is so gentle it sends people to sleep and it is a gift to the giver as well as you are so relaxed after 45 minutes of listening to meditation/relaxation music while you are giving the massage.

One of the best times in my life was when I was learning massage.

Such a chore to go leave my kids with Grandma and go to class twice a week and learn how to give and recieve massages :)

speaking of massage I need to go find a student and teach them how to massage. Me being the practise person of course*#)