Smutting Chestnut?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by F.adila, Dec 3, 2009.

1. F.adila

F.adila Well-known Member

My chestnut appears to be smutting, especially over his hind quarter/butt. Is it quite common for a chestnut to smut? (his dad is pally!)

Also will a horse with the smut gene appear to have a not so shiny coat? His coat looks nice and healthy but it just isnt glowing where he seems smutty?

2. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Are you feeding Livamol?

I noticed this big black "splat" on codas lower hinquarter when prepping her one day, and I thought I was going batty.... I was trying to scrub this "dirt" off...

Pretty sure it was from the Livamol tho!

3. F.adila

nope he gets nothing like that, no coat supplements, just a balanced diet :) but he is clearly going darker.. and it started with just a black dot a year ago.. which is now progressing to the whole back end! Looks great but hes missing that real sheen over it.. his front lighter end looks great

4. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

I think we need a photo!!

5. Iron Horse Hill

Iron Horse Hill Active Member

A friend of mine has a chestnut mare whose sire was pally. She has had a big patch of dark hair over her rump (about the size of two footballs) ever since I can remember. It does not go away or fade and it does not matter what condition this mare is in, fat or lean, it is still there. The mare is out in a paddock at a farm, no green tucker only in winter.
    I have a paly gelding who smutts real bad, he just needs a wiff of anything with protein from over the fence and turns chocolate brown all over. The older he has got the darker he gets, but the mare has never changed and she is now a 20yr old.
    Would be interesting to know if it is smutt in the old mare or something else!
    Wierd.....
    Cheers
    Jo

6. F.adila

heres some piccies, not sure how visible it all is:

Through his flanks:
    [​IMG]

On his hocks:
    [​IMG]

Other hind leg:
    [​IMG]

And inside hind leg:
    [​IMG]

Also noticed its slowly getting darker through his forelimbs.. but couldnt get a decent photo! Hes always had that black dot since a yearling, but has developed several more over the year!

7. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

My boy is a chestnut with the smutt gene. His dam is a pali but he is so shiney you can see your reflection in his coat LOL
    He is very very dark.....nearly purple :)
    So IMO the smutt gene should not effect coat quality at all :)

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

My red mare has the same...heaps of it. As well as white patches the size of tennis balls......totally weird, black and white splotches over her. Her mum was red roan, her dad was bay........no pally I can find in her pedigree just all chestnuts. But her 3 foals to date have been a black, a bay and now a brown!!

9. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

It is pretty normal for a lot of chestnuts to smut :)

You can see how smutty this girl is and her coat is like glass :)*

[​IMG]

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

My guy is 'meant' to be a dark dark livery chestnut but bleaching has caused his coat to go such a rank colour and as his summer coat progresses these black spots continue to come up:

One side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Otherside (body, legs, neck):

[​IMG]

11. Dontey464554

Dontey464554 Active Member

Might be breeding as well, my chestnut has two small black spots the size of a thumb print on the side of his rump near the tail and his full sister has it in the same spot but its the size of your fist and its almost dappled.

12. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

i have been told by various breeders that they are called oilstain spots our chastnot has a few small ones and i have seen pallys with some the size of a tennis ball

13. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

my chestnut tb's id cert has this tiny thumb sized smut mark on his haunch.

fastforward 11 years and he's practically an appaloosa! the original smut mark is still there, but he's got loads more, plus heaps of flecking & bend'or marks throughout.
    i love it. i don't think it detracts from him at all & it really makes his quarter marks stand out too. his coat is super nice & shiny.

14. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

black spots are called bendor marks and white ones are called birdcatchers. Smutting (dark hairs through coat) is caused by a gene:)* If you do a search you will find lots of examples :)