Smaller SUV for towing

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Gamby, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Wanting people's personal experience with towing with smaller SUV type vehicles such as Ford territory, Kia Sorento, kluger etc. I have researched these cars and they are totally capable to tow with powerful engines, high kerb weight and towing capacity. My float is a double with one horse so well within the towing capacity/below kerb weight so I know all about pulling/ stopping power.
    What I'm more after is do you find you feel stable on the road, what's your fuel use like when towing, do you use load levelers?
    I'm Actually leaning towards the Kia. They tow 2300kg have a 2000kg kerb weight and have an engine that is torquey In low gears which is suitable to tow. In my opinion they appear more suitable than the territory.

I'm sure some of you will think I'm better off buying a 4wd but that is not an option for everyone :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Keiko

Keiko New Member

I tow a double float with a small SUV. Same towing capacity as what you are looking at. Most of the time it's just one horse. It does the job well and I feel stable on the road. Uses up a bit of petrol (maybe almost double then without the float) but I don't tow that often so it's no big deal. I couldn't justify the extra expense of a bigger car just for the occasional tow!
    Hope that helps :)

3. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

Same.

The fuel efficiency sucks but the car does the job well.
    I use a tow bar raiser otherwise the float does not sit level and the rear suspension did need tweaking.

As long as you are mindful not to overload the car and float it's fine.

4. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

I used to have a Landrover Freelander, which is the baby sized one, simliar to the Rav 4. It had a 2000kg towing capacity and I would tow my little miniature float with it and once towed a double float. It was a great little run about car, though used a fair amount of fuel when towing. I can't remember how much to be honest. I loved that little car, til it died :(

I also towed with my parents Kia (it wasn't a Sorento and I can't remember what it was) but it was a car similar in size to my Landrover. It used a LOT of fuel towing, I went from Narrogin to Koji and used a tank of fuel for the round trip I think (it was years ago now). But it was a great little run about car too.

My sister has a Nissan x-trail and I wouldn'd hesitate to tow with that either. But I now have an Ford XR6 ute to tow with when I pick up my new float at the end of the month :)

5. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I tow with a Territory and I love it. It handles really nicely, is lovely to drive even when I don't have the float on (good turning circle, easy to park etc).
    They actually have the same towing capacity as the Falcon but after a very very scary near miss in my commodore many years ago I wanted a car with a higher kerb weight to make towing safer.

It does chew a bit of fuel when towing but it's really not too bad. And considering that I do far more driving without the float than with it, I wanted a car that would be good to drive in the city/suburbs as well.

6. Tee Cee's mum

Tee Cee's mum New Member

I tow with a Ford Territory, just love it. I have a double float which always has 2 horses in it. I have towed up and down hills just everywhere. The car is great, not too bad on fuel consumption either. It always feels stable and has no problem with power or braking. The territory is automatic but you can use it as manual which I do when going down steep hills, works great. I don't use load levelers with the float only with our 18ft full caravan.
    Good luck with your search for the right car.

7. Horselady

Horselady New Member

has anyone towed with a Jeep Patriot? if so how did it go?

8. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Or anyone tow with a Kluger? Newer ones (2008 onwards) use 11L/100 and tow 2000kg, and you can pick them up for around 20k. Older ones use 12.3L/100 and tow 1500kg. Would love a landcruiser but don't need a car quite that big (with matching price tag), or one that uses that much petrol :(

I definitely need to downsize my car soon- having a big ute for city driving is just not practical and fuel costs are killing me. Makes no sense when I only tow a few times a year- but still need a towing vehicle!! Some of the Jeeps look good but have heard too may horror stories. And trying to pick a car that is reliable and doesn't have huge servicing costs. Think I'm asking too much :p

9. K85

K85 New Member

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and absolutely love it, although they do come with a bit of a price tag. I have the diesel one and it’s great for around town fuel efficiency but does chew a bit more towing. I feel very safe towing two horses and I often go to Collie up (and down!) Roelands hill and it copes without a problem.

10. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

I tow with a territory (petrol). TERRIBLE fuel economy.. i shudder to think about it everytime I tow. My average last trip to perth (towing Olympic Royal with a 15.2hh stockhorse and a 16hh nearly 2 yr old warmblood) was averaging between 15-18l/100kms (Albany to Perth and back again). Ekkk Terrible. Not much better without the float. I have no idea how much better the diesel Territories are for fuel economy.

In terms of stability on the road, ability to tow etc they are very comfy cars and town my float and two horses very soundly. just the bluddy fuel economy!! I am looking to get a diesel vehicle yet. Im not sure if it will be a territory or a 4WD yet. Will get a few more years out of my car, so have time to decide!

Oh an no i dont use load levellers. I do have a heavy duty tow pack on my car.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  11. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

I tow with a Kia Sorrento, it does the job ok and will tow 2 horses
    But my next car will be a land cruiser as I have found the Sorrento
    Does struggle with hills when with a horse in and the parts aren't that cheap to replace,

12. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

LOL Landcrusier parts are expensive as well, on some models the brake master cylinder is close to 3k and there is no aftermarket available (just the brake master) they do tow well.