Small saddles for pony

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Mater, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

My daughter got a new saddle a year ago. I got a 15" so she wouldn't grow out of it too quickly, but I've since found out that it is too big for the pony.

I am hoping to organise a saddle fitter to try out different sizes, but in the meantime I'm wondering if there are any particular brands or styles that would be suited to a short backed shetland/welsh type? My daughters are 8 and 9 yo and are way too big for the Kincade pony saddle they were using previously.

2. kasper

kasper Active Member

We use a 15" saddle on our 11hh welsh pony and it fits well. Cant remember the brand but it is an english (brand) all purpose. Sorry, not much help to you!!

3. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Mater, I used a 15' Wintec 500 on both the shetland we had (10.2hh) and on Blue and it fit well on both and Josh (9 at the time) looked fine in it. If the budget stretches abit further the Bates Esperence (spelling) are a nice pony saddle too, more of a show saddle though.

4. Hi Mater,

What type of saddle are you looking for?

Kind Regards,
    Kaitlyn.

5. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

I'm looking for an AP saddle that will be for general riding and pony club (not really showing).
    The hard thing is that my daughters are getting quite tall (9yo is almost 140cms) so I need something that will fit her and the pony. She doesn't look too big when she rides him, so I was hoping she would get another year out of him at least.
    The 15" we have, is too long for the ponys back. I thought it fit him ok, but after having him seen by Jessica from Equestricare, she pointed out that the saddle actually goes past his last rib on his back (that explains the new habit of bucking and pigrooting!).

Ali- the 15" and 16.5" saddles we have both fit Blue luckily. We just had to change the gullet to wide! He hasn't slimmed down at all and is still a barrel on legs!

6. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Ha ha Mater, yep he does well on his feed doesn't he !! LOL

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I have had the same problem, I have a 12hh welsh cross who fits in 4'6 rugs who is really short backed, wintec500's and the eurohunters have too bigger panels that are to long for him so I bit the bullet after trying my other daughters bates esperence on him and got my daughter a esperence as they seem to be a bit smaller in the panels and fitted him fine, but they are dressage and you said you were after an ap I also have an older thorogood euro synthetic 15" ap and that also fit him great( small little saddle). It just depends on your budget. Hope that has helped you a little bit more.
    cheers

8. realalvin

realalvin New Member

Weatherbeeta saddles a bit too big on my friend's pony, so tend to need a size smaller than usual. Horseware/Harrison Howard and Bucas all fit him ok. hope this helps!