Silver gene question

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Sallighted, May 8, 2008.

1. Sallighted

Sallighted Well-known Member

My friend has a horse which she is wondering if she holds a silver gene.... she is a chestnut with a flaxen mane and tale. We know that her sire was chestnut and we think her dam was bay (we don't know if either or both hold the silver gene)... however she also has a full sister who is exactly the same colour although a much lighter flaxen(which is the reason why we thought he may have it). Wondering if there is a possiblility:confused: .. she is thinking about getting a DNA test but wondering how much chance she is going to have...

2. sil

sil Gold Member

Hi Sal

The Silver gene only works on black base coated horses. Red base coated horses (chestnuts) can carry the Silver gene and pass it onto their progeny, but visually you can't tell if they carry it or not.

The only way your friend's horse could be carrying the Silver gene is if her sire, who is also chestnut, is carrying the Silver gene and passed it on to her. Her dam, being a bay, would show as a Silver as bay has a black base coat and would be affected by the Silver gene visually.

A Silver Bay can look a lot like a chestnut but they always have brownish legs and the silver in the mane and tail is more of a 'cool' tone than a 'warm' one.

Flaxen chestnuts can vary from snowy white maned livers to yellow maned yellow chestnuts to the typical red chestnut with the cream mane and tail.

3. Iron Horse Hill

Iron Horse Hill Active Member

Hi all
    Sorry to but it on your thread but I have a similar question for the silver gene proffessors.:)
    What colour do you think this porker is? His dam was a very dark liver chestnut( almost black) with white and chestnut hairs in her mane & tail. His sire was a rich palomino.
    He was born palomino but once he grew out of his foal coat he has always been a funny colour depending on the time of year and quality of feed.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Jo

4. hehehe, JO:)*
    Doodle is a black palomino! Lol! (smutty one I mean):)
    Cheers, lena

5. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

IHH - he looks like a possible Silver Bay, gene testing can confirm. He doesnt look pally to me, and its possible he could have gotten the gene from either parent (both red based) - or the "pally" could also have been a silver bay? I havent seen many large (non miniature) silvers, I like it much better in the big ones :D

Sallighted - what Sil said... lol :)* - if your horse is indeed chestnut carrying silver it would not affect its coat colour at all, therefore being a flaxen has no baring on the gene.

6. lollyem

lollyem Well-known Member

The sooty gene causes the 'livering' of chestnuts . So from mum he's inherited this sooty gene which in a dark palomino causes dark, silvery gray hairs to appear in the mane and tail.

7. Ditto, Lollyem:)*
    here is one of them in my backyard!:)*

[​IMG]

cheers, Lena

8. Sallighted

Sallighted Well-known Member

does anyone have much info about the flaxen gene as well??? I have done some research and supposedly there is such a thing... would this also be a dilute gene??? I mean it is lightening or diluting the colour of manes and tails???:confused:

9. Iron Horse Hill

Hi guys
    Had another wierd coloured filly. Will try and find photo.

She was dark from day 1.
    Lena, you mare looks like Doodles sister.....pair of wierdos!!*#)
    It is interesting reading what people think of the Doodle. No matter what colour he is he just a big black bast##d to me who chucks you off when he gets eye to eye with a cow. And yes Lena, my knee is still swollen and the bruises still hurt.
    Bianca was hoping that I would go to Gingin cutting on the 17th, might have to drag the turd back out of the paddock for round 2:)*

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  10. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Flaxen isn't usually called a dilute gene. It's called a modifier I think. Although I see what you mean about it lightening the mane and tail. I think it only works on chestnut. There are other genes that can lighten a black/bay tail though.
    Cheers

Danni

11. Iron Horse Hill

Pic of another wierdo!!
    RIP Maggie.
    [​IMG]

12. hehehe Jo:)*
    are you sure that it's a filly on the pic??? Lol!!!!:confused:
    Cheers, lena

13. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

Hey Iron horse, she doesn't look so weird! A gorgeous colour pally!

Here is some weird ones for you.

Pally stallion with sooty mane

[​IMG]

And a liver chestnut Haffie with a flaxen mane and tail

[​IMG]

Cheers

Danni

14. Iron Horse Hill

Hey Kintara,
    You have just made my day. Made me feel like mine arn't so bad!!
    :)*
    Lena, what do you mean, of course its a filly, thats Maggie! ( Yes I did have Rocky on there by mistake but I changed it. Still getting the hang of the photo bucket thingy!

Cheers
    Jo

15. Remaani

Remaani Guest

He's a sooty pali, not a silver bay.