Silly TB

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by dakota95, Oct 8, 2012.

1. dakota95

dakota95 Active Member

Hey just need advice on my tb.
    He's in full work and is recovering from a severe bout of ulcers and bad teeth causing him to look poorly and lose condition.

Morning he gets chaff lucerene 1kg of hygain ice
    Night feed he gets chaff lucerene 1kg of ice, whey powder, oil, 1/2 hygain trugain (to assist with condition lost)

I've owned him for about a year and haven't had any major issues.
    He was very lazy and sluggish before but now he's picked up condition he seems to be acting up a bit. Not doing anything dangerous or really naughty just spooking unnecessarily and getting upset when horses run around next to the arena etc when previously this did not worry him. He will also "rush forward" I wouldn't call it bolting but drops his back, throws his head up and runs forward very quickly until you correct him.

Bush rides are a nightmare he just jacks up and wants to go home and has that airy fairy head thing going on and im worried if i start a fight with him out there and fall off he will bolt home.

To take out and compete he is a gem it's just at home he is either perfect or very unsettled and seems ready to "explode"
    It's getting quite frustrating as the rider just wants to get on and ride and maybe 2/5 rides he will act like an idiot.

Can't seem to recreate the behaviour when the instructor is around (murphys law) but she recommended every time he does something wrong to do small circles etc to take his mind off it. We had previously been using one rein stops but didn't seem to be helping.

2. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

sounds just like my tb when on the trugain! i would cut it out and see if things improve as i had a huge difference! try some lupins instead.

3. dakota95

dakota95 Active Member

I actually only have about half a bag left to finish as he has put on weight nicely. I thought it was meant to be a "cool" feed :/ I had reduced his ice as per the bags reccomendations so its not like hes getting too much. Previously he was on 2 1/2 kilos of ice a day and not silly at all.

4. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

my guy can have grain or weaner pellets without an issue but trugain made him fizzy and a pain! he was only on 250-500gms a day too.

5. katelol

katelol Guest

Try him on some ThiaMag or MagE, magnesium deficiency is very common at this time of year and can cause this type of silliness *#)

6. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

A common occurence with previously 'quiet' slightly underweight thoroughbreds. However sounds somewhat like a training issue also. Does he give to contact or resist it?

7. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Try to remember that often when a horse is gaining weight (on a rising plain) they can exhibit 'enhanced' behaviour.

When they are losing weight, they can exhibit 'decreased' behaviour.

Do you think it could just be this?

My second thought is that my horse is a bit jittery on lucerne.

8. dakota95

dakota95 Active Member

The thing is though I bought him last year around this time actually. He was a bit underweight then and he fattened up no worries and has been in full feed and work since and was on more feed with no issues. A few months ago I moved agistment and he lost weight went off his feed and we found the teeth/ulcer issue and fixed it and now hes being stupid.

He is a lovely horse to ride, I would say is working correctly and his schooling isnt repetitive. He does 2x flatwork 2x poles/jumping and 1x bush ride a week.

Coach is happy with progress and just says to "ride him through" these moments and that he needs more positive reinforcement.

But his worst behaviour (which is not super bad) never seems to be on when the instructor is around either which doesnt help.

I have heard good things about thia-mag and was thinking about buying it but not sure if its "gimmicky" or not.

9. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

Does he behave better when your instructor is there because you are riding more confidently? Sometimes having a trainer or instructor there can make a rider more focussed and therefore ride with more confidence and the horse responds accordingly. It does sound like a training issue to me.

10. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

Two of my boss's horses get thia-mag. She swears by it. MagE is also good.

Bear in mind, though, that suppliments will only work if the horse is actually deficient. A horse deficient in magnesium is more likely to be stressy than when it is not deficient.

11. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

I agree its possibly feed related (somewhat), my 9yo is hard to keep weight on in winter and is always ribby looking until I used flaky bran. Now that spring is almost over, horses are obese and one hay rolls. Wish I could spread their weight out evenly over the year lol
    Try cutting out the trugain and see if it helps. It's a trial and error game getting the feed right sometimes. Took me over a year and one day I took my horses rug off and he was covered!! :eek: