Showing Grievances

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by wattle6180, May 15, 2009.

1. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

the same could be said about a western judge judging best 3 year of show, and picking a western horse...

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

Agree!!!
    AND when parents are helping by filming the child, only for the child to complete a terrible round and the parent to receive a gobful of abuse from the child telling the parent "to turn that bloody thing off"
    Actually the filming is very useful and should be watched by the child because they would then see the terrible round was a result of the terrible riding.

3. horseychic

horseychic Well-known Member

Okay my gripes are:

People leaving gear everywhere in small stable laneways
    Rubbish left behind at the end of the day
    When you congratulate them and all you get back is "hmph"
    Way too much makeup on the animal
    Know at alls
    Cutting in front of my stallion with a in season mare"
    And my all time favourite my mum and I got asked at the last mini show by a lady who was quite rude and abrupt who we were i mean who the hell are you

I learn from watching others at shows and ask the judge what i did not do right so i can improve. :)*

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  4. Mystique

Mystique Active Member

Courtesy get me annoyed... letting the champion/ first place getter do a lap or even just let them leave the ring first...

5. myst

myst Active Member

grievances

Dressage judges do have to have ridden before they are accepted as judges. Perhaps Eventing and Pony Club do not always use judges from the Official list.:))

6. liver bird

liver bird Well-known Member

ahhhhh scorpio my friend ...... rose coloured glasses occasionally but too many political results to fool every1 everytime :p

7. Cincinnati

Cincinnati New Member

I love grey's made up with make up, panda eye's and all, if it is done properly it looks wicked. I also like clipped ears and would rather see a clipped horse out in the ring than a hairy one.

Hate shows, hacking and breed that don't announce their judges before the entries close.

Having to deal with rude and abrupt people handling show enquiries.

All my pet hates have probably been done, but one I really really hate is people who have their mates/friends/etc... pencilling in their ring and in the judges ear all the time. Saw this happen at a stud show late last year very unprofessional.

Oh also all the bitching and snide remarks from jealous competitors, which I see happening all the time, they love putting others down to try and make themselves feel better somehow. Especially when kids are involved. Be very careful who is around that can hear you !

8. samm

samm Gold Member

Cincinnati ,has it occurred to you some pencillers are actually wanting to become judges so they ask if they can go with the judge to learn?
    Quite often I'll take someone and I will ask them to place the horses the way they think then I will and then discuss why I have placed them that way.
    A number of times they haven't picked up the faults/good points that I have when I'm judging the class.
    Considering WA needs more qualified judges I don't think it's a bad thing and how do people learn?By watching and asking questions.

9. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

I hate when you have people tell their horse that you a bad horse and that i hate you when they dont win.

And biggest of all time parents that tell their children to flog their horses

10. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

I get the opposite - it became a standing joke in our family that as soon as so much as a pole dropped the camera would fly and a line of abusive language would stream into the microphone - my father is quite competitive :D . In all fairness, he never gave ME grief with it - only kept it to himself or the camera ROFL but I was always begging for the bit of film (as I like to know where I went wrong) and he wasn't so forthcoming. Took me a few years to realise why :eek: . We've "trained" him now and he does a great job of filming (which is great because I use it every time) ALL of it and the language isn't quite so blue now when things go wrong. Still haven't gotten him out the habit of loudly asking "So - who WON?" every time I don't (which is usually) though :rolleyes: .

I was disgusted by a family parked near us on the weekend when the mother gave her daughter grief ALL DAY for a miscommunication on XC (according to the argument it was a RUNOUT not a STOP so all the kids fault - everyone for 10 floats could hear the whole lot #(). Banter went on all day until the poor kid went out on her other horse and did the same thing in another class in the afternoon ... Dread to think what that drive home was like!! It's sad when you see kids put off like this :( .

11. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I do that Samm. Though not wanting to become a judge (too much hard work LOL) I do want to learn about different breeds, and what judges are looking for.

I have found most judges are quite happy to impart their knowledge. I have only ever had one wasnt very friendly. I have done hack shows, breed shows, and a couple of dressage shows. At the breed shows I tend to rotate the breeds that I do.The only way to learn is to listen and ask.

12. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Too much/badly applied makeup - it should be to enhance what the horse has, not paint it like a clown.
    Children & inexperienced riders with double bridles, horse's head wrenched under with back end up in the air, scooting around on the forehand with back hollowed.
    Riders too tall or big for their mounts.
    I don't mind bling in moderation. But just like jewelry on people, over-accessorising looks really tacky.

Oh, and judges in classes such as 'any other registered' or colour classes, who don't know and don't bother to ask what breed your horse is. There's no shame in asking (before you judge the animals would be nice), especially if it is a less common breed, or part-bred!

13. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

Had this happen to me at my miss k's very first leadline class in a show...

there were only 6 in the class miss got 6th, she was happy she got a ribbon and a hoofpick lol... we were standing later behind some women who i know were in the same class i think one got 1st place with her child, and in earshot of myself and miss, they went on about how the first 5 children were absolutely gorgeous and cute...

you dont want to know what i had said in my head and if it wasnt for the fact miss was representing a well known stable that day i would of let them know exactly what i thought of thier bad sportsmanship!!!

14. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Awwww they were just lucky I wasnt there coz your little miss is extremely cute. :(

15. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Don't knock judges - there aren't enough as it IS!!!!

The judges often don't get a choice what class they judge - don't forget that but they DO judge the lower classes quite happily, they just often don't get a choice because there are so few who can do the classes they are qualified for. Last year at harvey a B level (FEI PSG/INT I) judge judged the PCAWA D grade! Did they care? NO! I doubt the kids realised though ;) . Be thankful you generally get judges who have qualifications - they are very hard to find.

Judges also DO have to ride to pass their exams. I understand you are probably talking about one incident but it would be nice if riders had a little more respect for how much time and wisdom judges actually put back into the sport because they don't do it for money #( .

Perhaps you'd like to become a dressage judge yourself since you yourself are so displeased with their standard and feel you can ride so well :confused: PM me if you would like contacts to become a trainee ....

... and NO, I am not a dressage judge.

16. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

I have came the conclusion

Dont show then....... everyone has so many grievances...... only solution I can see :confused:

Ps - lets go flash some MEGA bling and bone some ears Carls..... :D

17. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

Completely agree!!!
    If everyone has so many gripes about... Don't do it?
    It's only showing LOL!
    I had a mega grievance with a certain show, so didn't go, simple :)
    I do it for fun, no point if things get you down LOL!
    Jmo :)

18. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I originally posted this thread as a way for people to actually learn. Not for independent attacks on individual shows, judges, breeds, methods.

I was *hoping* that viewers could read some issues, analyse their own behaviours, and maybe make the whole showing scene more pleasant for everyone, most especially the horses!

I have maybe half a dozen grievances, easily out-weighed by the joy of taking out a beautifully-presented (even with fluffy ears), well-mannered horse and having fun while maybe taking home a ribbon (or several).

I can honestly say that the ONLY reason we show is to increase our horse's education and have fun (Yes, Jess is more competitve than me :eek:). We owe it to the Owner's of the horses we lease to continue to improve those horses education and value, while displaying the versatility of certain breeds - even the humble TB (most versatile horse!).

If just one more person takes a haynet and water bucket with them to their next outing - I will be a happier camper :D

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  19. Salinero

Salinero Well-known Member

As for bling, boned ears etc etc etc.... thank god everyone likes different things... would be boring if everyone looked the same. :)* What ever floats your boat I say. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

20. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

it just seemed grievances being spoke of were turning catty - a-la showing..... suprise suprise :)

to be honest the person who voiced their cattiness at SHC HOTY last year whilst my friend was videoing my workout....... i cant wait to see you at my first show back in two weekends time........ im not sorry my horse looked better than yours but you wanna protest against me officially put your money where your mouth is...... your protest will be thrown out........ :D

i always take clippers with me wattle..... i can fix hairy ears :D:D

dont leave your horsey tied to the float alone *#):D

Last edited: May 20, 2009