Showing Grievances

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by wattle6180, May 15, 2009.

1. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Yes at some shows, well i know theres def one show it happens, theres say best yearling of the show (where only champions are eligible) and best 2 year old, and best 3 year old.
    Say the judge is into Quarter horses, and they dont look at the finer types.
    So what im saying is, i dont like it when judges choose there type, and dont even look at others, like not even look at them.

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Actually, I am guessing Lexie is talking about the awards at the end where all section winners compete against each other. Judge didn't walk around each horse, just watched them walk around together and then trot out individually - but she did watch each horse ;)

My pet hate is judges that turn their back on you when you are doing your individual workout.

Also overuse of makeup - although if people want to make their horses look that silly it is their problem.

People blatantly going against the rules.

Hmm, and most of the warm up ones that people have already posted :D

3. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I get sick of hearing the carry on when people get beat. Take off the rose-coloured glasses and have a decent look at the whole class and see where you can improve.

4. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Yes but it is a "breed" show if you don't like what the judge likes or don't breed the type of horses that the judge breeds, rides or shows don't compete under that judge, really quite simple.

Unless you are a qualified judge yourself sorry but you do not have the right to critisize or dispute the decision made. Some people sound like they should go out and become qualified. As i said before learn from it if a particular judge does not like your type or breed don't compete under them Save yourself the time money and hassle.

5. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

And yes i completely agree. i don't mind being beaten as long as what beats me is better than me. And lets face it there is always going to be better out there somewhere..........

6. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

if it comes across me being rude, im not trying to, its kinda hard to explain, but ive seen some judges not even look at people, and even if there horse is not up to standard , i just think out of respect they should just give it a look and a walk around.
    and this is not any of my personal experiences, i just feel sorry for the ppl that have had this happen to me.

7. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

And not only that... it is one person's opinion on that day. If everyone always likes the same thing what is the point of showing? We would all need clone horses :p

8. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

LOL, I have had that happen at the Royal Show. Very blatant turn of the back while working out. I just figure they aren't worth wasting my money on again ;) But at the end of the day, they are the rude one, not me, so I just get on with life. Plus I am taking home my prefered horse anyway ;)

9. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

Well said!
    good mind set, world needs more mirawees!

10. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Course that doesn't mean that there aren't a few horses I wouldn't mind smuggling into the spare spot on the float ROFL.

It is a mindset most dog show people end up with ;) Probably because the numbers competing are often so many more (800 dogs is a small show :p ) so you more often do the big winner one day and bottom of the heap the next. Plus at dog shows you often don't even get a ribbon for winning :eek:

11. Dark Embrace

Dark Embrace Active Member

I once witnessed (in another state) a PC rider in a showjumping round at royal show, riding very poorly, horse stopped and dropped rider, rider got up and hit horse very hard across head several times with whip (in middle of ring), the storm out of arena swearing and cursing, yelling at her parents to shoot the horse... I think that is the worst of the worst behaviour..
    (she is still a pc rider, i personally think that she should be banned from owning a horse)

12. Lexie

Lexie Well-known Member

no ribbons?! how could they?!? :eek::eek::p

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Holy Crap!!!

14. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Alot of what I hate has been mentioned at least somewhere in this thread so far.

I dont like dyed coats, tails I can live with, but I dont like the idea of the chemicals on a horses skin, I have seen horses have bad reactions to them #(

I also dont like bling... sorry bling lovers :p

I hate people that get mad if you go the "wrong" way in a warm up area - so, what? am I supposed to only warm my horse up on one reign? thats just ridiculous!
    in saying that, I also dislike people that dont obey the arena road rules when passing/overtaking... you dont HAVE to have a head on collision just because your going in opposite directions!

I dont like people who think people with minis dont know anything about "real" horses. Not only are minis horses too, but most mini owners either have or have had big horses too!

I like nice cleanly trimmed/shaved out ears on a show horse. But I also dont agree that it is impossible to show a horse with them not done. (my mare once took out state champion with one shaved ear and one hairy one :p)

15. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

mmm, that's what i was thinking too!:eek:

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Another pet hate of mine is competitors being extremely rude to you after you won the event you both were in. Nothing like friendly competition, hmmm.

Crouding of the ring gate...

People mounting in packed out busy stables and riding through the isles.

Dangerous horses being shown allday without the competitor pulling out or someone asking them to leave.

17. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Ooh, yeah Arnie, number one on my all time pet peeves has to be crowding at the arena gate so people can't get in (or out!) safely :( And then when you ask them politely to move they shoot you evil looks... and give you a half metre gap to walk through (especially fun with a colt ;) )

18. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I haven't read all 10 pages so this may have already been said.

I find it highly annoying in hack rings when a rider rides around on the inner track, blocking the judge's view of the other riders.

Yes, sometimes the ring is crowded and you need to clear a space for yourself but the accepted etiquette (I believe) is to ride around the outside of the laggards if you can or cut across to a different section of the circle. To just ride around on your own inner track about 5 metres from the judge is seriously poor form. Ring hog.

That's it for me.

Oh yeah, and bling. :p

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  19. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

Im with you Nic...Cant believe how many people I was annoying without even knowing LOL!:p

20. Mini Equine

Mini Equine New Member

I agree with mini magic. I try to keep my mini stallions away from the mares and fillies. And then people come over and stand infront of me with a mare or filly. And when my stallions starts to carry on the give me a look. But what am i supposed to do.