Showing Grievances

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by wattle6180, May 15, 2009.

1. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

I agree with all the affore said and would add kids that sit on their horses all the time and never give them a rest. So many thoughtless kids these days. There should be a school for equestrian dos and dont's for all ages.

2. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

lol - beleive me...they do it :)

Even a 30m wide strip down the side of a fence wouldnt hurt.......just shove cones along it - and a sign NO ENTRY UNLESS LUNGEING A HORSE.

Enough room for 3 people - or even 2 to lunge at the same time would work.

Then stick signs everywhere at the warm up arena - NO LUNGEING IN WARM UP ARENA **)

Signs work most of the time...if their is a sign that say - dont do something...only the REALLY brash - then quickly unpopular ones do it. Everyone else stands back and gives them dirty looks...as they respected the rules and didnt do it. This often stops them from doing it again as well. Blatantly doing something behind a sign that says dont - either makes to person look really dumb - or makes tham appear as thought they are above the rules...and that doesnt make a popular person **)
    (peer group pressure ** )

Im a fan of signs **) always have been.....I love em.
    You can pick an event that I organize- their are signs everywhere.:)* It means only the illiterate (which I have no problem with) or stupid ones ask you dumb questions....it saves your ears for 3 people asking you questions at the same time..... Rather than 20....

3. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Which then adds to the delays Eoroe :D Stopping every 3 minutes to answer the same question - soon adds up! Even just a - where's the toilet, where's the office chatter.

* I do realise signs cost money*

4. pso

pso Gold Member

Have you ever noticed the signs at the SEC...nobody reads them anyway!!*#):p

5. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

A friend's kid (14yo) said something similar to me today pso.....when I told them all to get off the sand dunes as they're protected, he said Whattt, how would you know? The SIGNS!!! Whattt, what signs, we don't read signs - we're BOYS!!! PMSL

I then explained that is why there are women in the World (to nag them about the signs they don't see) *#)*#)

6. pso

pso Gold Member

LOL-
    one day someone will invent a man that can think for himself...what was that movie about robots?...
    hmmm

7. little_welsh

little_welsh Well-known Member

My little pet hate is whan people are walking the showjumping course and the jump the jumps!!

8. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

My pet hate is a PA system that you just can't hear, except to know -something- has been said.

Oh and when it's hard to hear your class being called, even if you're only 5-10m from the ring.

9. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I didn't think you were allowed to do that? Either way its too much energy used :p *#)

10. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

LOL we had some girls sitting behind the open area that the SOS where doing there run out in. They were very rude to the official when asked to move. I mean the official should have apologised for worrying about their safety!!!

I found today lots of fun and quiet relaxed. The only grief I saw was from "hacking" people. I didnt see any grief towards anyone from the western or mini people.

11. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

How about people ( other riders particularly ) have some common courtesy for the rider before them ( dressage related ), by this i mean not riding within 10m of the arena, ie not between A and the arena fence while the rider before you is still doing their test. Manners people:confused: would you like it if someone did it to you and you were on a young, inexperienced or nervy horse? Maybe people should think a little more about how they would feel if the situation was reversed.................

AND

Whats with the ignorance of spectators and family with dog in tow walking between arenas during tests WTF?????? people please read the rules if you are competing and make sure your helper strapper, boyfriend or family are aware of the rules. Be fair to everyone competing not just your friend relly girlfriend, boyfriend what ever the case may be.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  12. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

hmmm i hate riders not looking where theyre going when they warm up!!! when im trying to do something with my horse and have to come to an emergency stop because uve crossed my path, im not happy!!!

i hate riders that ride too close, especially head to head. i know its often un-avoidable!!

i agree with the whole double bridle and kids thing, but what about the d*&khead 'adults/teenagers' you see out eventing with god knows how much hardware in their horses mouths??? i do not like to see a big pelham in a horses gob getting yanked after every jump, it sickens me!!! i think so many people genuinely think it looks more professional, or just do it for the sake of it

i also hate having a dressage judge (usually only seen in pony club/eventing events)....that seriously cannot ride a horse properly. I have seen people ride all from the head, no idea about flexion, softness, forward, bend etc etc etc, and then see their names down as a judge, it sickens me. i would love to see every dressage judge have to have SOME form of pre-requisite in regards to training/competing at a certain level before being able to judge. I would love to see what would happen if a few advanced +++ dressage judges came and judged the eventing tests (the * classes not included, they get wicked judges!)

glad thats off my chest haha

13. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Actually - in regards to the signs thing......lol.....

2 of the clubs that I spent time at organising events alot were 8 memeber clubs, so funds were very small..

We found that the things that you need signs for mostly - are consistent things. Toilet, manure placmement, cross country course, arena, don do this, dont do that ..lol **)

We just got a whole heap done up at the appropriate size, enlarged, photcopyied, then laminated.

I think the whole lot cost $50 - and we would cable tie them in place, and take them down after each event. Sure it took time - but it was cheap **)

BUT.....unfortunately we couldnt get a good deal on disposable eyes to hand out...so alot of them were missed Im sure....lol

As you say - they may be their - but they have to be read and obeyed as well :)

14. mini magic

mini magic Active Member

It always puzzles me when I show my Mini Stallion at SEC where theres other horse events going on that big horse folk presume because miniatures are small they can walk there big horses right next too and cut in front whenever they please #( Seems there are some "Dont like mini people" in the horse world that think there better than us and we just have to tip toe around the big horses:confused:like we dont belong! Young mini's and Stallions deserve the same respect and space at shows. If my boy was 17hh im sure that same person would have woed her horse and given us room#(
    So more open minded folk would be nice towards the Mini's.
    Another thing I see is horses tyed to floats with leadropes rapped around there legs!!!!
    Too much face makeup looks terrible too!
    People bashing the crap out of there horses when there frightened!! WTH:confused:
    As for the Bling thing, I love bling:D I have a bling whip but anymore would be overkill!

15. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

Another non-bling fan here - I like nice, plain, workmanlike brown leather, yum!!

And I hate it when people don't read signs too.

I find it annoying when you are standing quietly with your horse and someone with a misbehaving horse comes into your space and then asks you to move as their horse might kick! #(

16. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Rude children who insist that their parents are their personal slaves for the day at the show with never a thank you.

Same children who never get out of the saddle, even if there is 20 mins between classes, and then insist that their pony is flexed an on the bit the entire time; by yanking on their mouth.

competitors who do nothing but b*t*ch whilst competing, they never have anything nice to say, are constantly complaining that their horse isn't working well, rebuke said horse for standing quietly; and generally look like they would have more fun having their teeth pulled without anesthesthia - why compete if you hate it so much??

17. mad -horse

mad -horse Active Member

I hate prams at shows.These people say they are horse people but they either push prams up behind horses or leave their children in them unattended.

18. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Agreed! Excessive gear just looks silly IMHO. Especially ill-fitted martingales - what is the point?

Also straps out of their keepers, (especially dislike this when I see it in a feature photograph #() and crooked nosebands/browbands.

19. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

Are you saying you don't like clipped out ears, if so i'm sorry but that is pathetic, if a horse went into the hack ring with hairy ears it would be laughed out of the ring.

20. Remaani

Remaani Guest

After my weanling filly's class yesty at B&B's, i took her plaits out & gave her a hose down. All of her energy levels increased & she got a bit cheeky & excited... & nearly planted a hoof in the head of a child sitting in a pram in the middle of the horse floats area & the parent not even close! :eek:
    My filly should of behaved (but hell she's a baby & giving her a hose down refreshed her tired soul), but the pram should NOT have been in that area unless an adult was HOLDING onto said pram. #(

I love bling, lol.