Showing Grievances

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by wattle6180, May 15, 2009.

1. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Well I think the boning V not boning has been done to death.

Lets discuss something more important.......

Tails

Shave V Braiding LOL

2. SaddleClubber

SaddleClubber Active Member

mainly for me i think its terrible that we all tear our hair out, spend hours preparing, travelling, schooling, crying, and scratching eachothers eyes out...

all clawing for a 50c ribbon lol

but we still love it :D

3. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Just to comment on the above to give another view. I have a couple of horses that I will leave without water... the pains push the buckets over if I leave them with it! So they get offered water regularly throughout the day but they are not left with it to push over *#)

I don't think a horse's ears have to be fully clipped out in order to win, but I do think they should be neatened up ;)

In terms of leaving whiskers, I usually shave muzzles although had one mare who worked badly afterwards so she didn't get done - didn't stop her winning ;) I don't ever touch the whiskers around their eye though. Personal preference but I want their eyes as safe as I can make them LOL.

Tails, I don't like clipping tails so I plait. Unless I have a horse whose tail is bad to plait or who won't stand still to get it done! I prefer a shaved tail to a badly plaited one though :p

4. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

My thoughts exactly **)
    Not that I claim to know much about showing, (I'm only starting out in it), but I see no reason for the 'whiskers' around the eyes to be removed.
    They are there for a purpose and I believe that purpose is too important to warrant removing them.
    I have no issue with shaving the muzzle whiskers though. Pity my horse doesn't agree with me *#)
    I wasn't too sure about the boning of the ears, but after having done it to my horse several times and it causing absolutley no ill effects, I now have no problem with it.

One thing I do hate......
    Horses that dig huge holes while tied to floats and owners who make absolutely no attempt to fill the hole before they leave.
    I nearly broke my ankle falling in a hole at the SEC the other week #(
    While I know you'll be struggling to fill the hole and get it back to level, you can at least try.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
  5. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I also have a naughty one who pushes over the water and even picks up the bucket and flings it through the air with what ever water is still in it. Therefor i put his bucket away from him and offer through out the day.

I leave the eye whiskers, with ears i clip them nearly out but leave some down the bottom of the ears.

with tails - i plait a feminime mare and shave all boys. i dont pull it i shave it.

As long as you are enjoying your horses and whatever type of showing you do, who cares what everyone else thinks. of course if someone has some productive tips - take them.

6. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

OMG the voice of sanity!